Xbox 360 defect rate: 100%

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Xbox 360 defect rate: 100%

Post by Stormwatch »

Microsoft facing US$1.15bn Xbox 360 repair bill
By Tom Sanders, 9 July 2007 07:27 AEST Consumer Electronics

Software giant admits there are 11.6 million faulty consoles, which it will have to fix.

Microsoft has admitted that every one of the 11.6 million Xbox 360 consoles sold in the past 19 months suffers from a design flaw that could cause the device to fail.

The firm will extend the warranty coverage from one to three years to compensate consumers, but does not plan to instate a recall or exchange programme.

Microsoft gaming chief Robbie Bach claimed in a conference call with financial analysts that the design issues surfaced recently.

"In the past couple of months we started to see significant increases in repair requests and call requests and significant attention from people," he said.

Microsoft did not disclose the exact nature of the problems, but said that it had made the necessary design changes and that units currently in stock will be upgraded.

The extended warranty period is limited to hardware failures indicated by three flashing red lights on the console. Users of consoles suffering from such problems are entitled to free repairs and shipping.

Microsoft estimated that the repairs will cost the company US$1.05bn to US$1.15bn, spilt evenly between the higher than expected return rates for existing consoles under the one-year warranty, and future returns under the extended warranty period.
sauce
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Re: Xbox 360 defect rate: 100%

Post by abydos1000 »

The fact that MS clearly had a manufacturing problem and set aside that money is old news. The only thing new in this article is the "spin of 100%" added by the publisher.

The figures I've seen of about 25%-30% seem to be on the money. I'm not trying to completely defend MS. Even that defect rate is unacceptable, but I doubt that 100% figure. I think the only reason they took out that much is they probably really don't know what went wrong. All of this seems to be hit and miss with regard to when the machine was built other than the anecdotal stories out on the net. I know some people with launch consoles that haven't had problems. One symptom that seems to be a warning sign is how hot the box is getting. Discs that come out too hot to handle can't be a good thing. Mine or others that I've known without issues have discs that are barely lukewarm even after many hours of playing (of course, this is simply another anecdotal account!).
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

I feel much safer about buying a 360 now, so many are defective it is just pathetic that I was afraid to get one.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

That would put my system in that category. There was one time I went to turn it on and it had 4 flashing red lights. I immediately called xbox tech support figuring it was this problem. Turns out it was just my AV cable had come unplugged slightly and it was causing it to flash the red lights. Yea I felt stupid but relieved at the same time.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

The one that I got during this past christmas has been working flawlessly for me. Of course, since I've really gotten into the wii, I haven't played it that much either.
Dew
Mayks now sents!
Mayks now sents!

Post by Dew »

When you think about it, weren't original Xboxes very accident prone as well? Almost everyone I know has an Xbox with a dead Thompson drive.
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

Meh, optical drives will always be a problem.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

I don't know that the Thomson drives are more prone to death than others, but their compatibility with write-once CD formats and rewritable DVD formats is terrible; it's an odd combination, but that's how it is. It's been my experience that Thomson stuff in general (sold in the US under the RCA brand) is pretty mediocre even when it works correctly...
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

Ex-Cyber wrote:I don't know that the Thomson drives are more prone to death than others, but their compatibility with write-once CD formats and rewritable DVD formats is terrible; it's an odd combination, but that's how it is. It's been my experience that Thomson stuff in general (sold in the US under the RCA brand) is pretty mediocre even when it works correctly...
my original xbox has a thompson drive, and i fricking hate it

about 1.5 year after buying it, it started even having trouble with completely new games, that is one of the reasons i havent gotten past level one in ninja gaiden (that and the fact i totally suck at NG)

my 360 has been a good little unit so far, but if this one is gonna die on me time just out of warrantee, then ill be off M$ shit for the next decade or so
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Gmc wrote:Meh, optical drives will always be a problem.
My 1996 Playstation disagrees.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

Dew wrote:When you think about it, weren't original Xboxes very accident prone as well? Almost everyone I know has an Xbox with a dead Thompson drive.
The Samsung's tendency to randomly eject itself & not stay closed or open as the machine shuts down is also an annoyance, takes a good 5-10 minutes to get the damn thing to stay shut to play a dvd or game sometimes
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers