Yabause 0.8.5 Released!

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Yabause 0.8.5 Released!

Post by BlueCrab »

Since I know how many people probably don't ever go to the front page of the site, I figure I'd better post about this here as well...

Yabause 0.8.5 has been released for all the major platforms that Yabause supports, including the Dreamcast. There's not too many Dreamcast-specific changes, so don't expect any major speed increases or anything. Also, the Dreamcast version hasn't been tested as thoroughly as I'd normally test it (I don't have any Saturn games around here to test it with at the moment), so if there's any bugs, be sure to let me know as soon as possible.

Anyway, it can be downloaded from here: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=518262
Dull Blade
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Yabause 0.8.5 Released!

Post by Dull Blade »

Cool, thanks. I'll give it whirl.
TseTinGFunG
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by TseTinGFunG »

Another step forward is better than no steps at all. Thanks will give it a go. Did I forget to say thanks? Thanks a million.
Now Playing - Counter-Strike Dreamcast (CSDC) Beta 5.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

BlueCrab wrote:Also, the Dreamcast version hasn't been tested as thoroughly as I'd normally test it (I don't have any Saturn games around here to test it with at the moment), so if there's any bugs, be sure to let me know as soon as possible.
I came across Return Fire while I was Googling for homebrew Saturn stuff.

EDIT:
Here's some instructions on how to burn Yabause-DC and Return Fire on one CD-R so you don't have to swap CDs or waste any extra CD-R:

I downloaded Return Fire and exracted it to the tools folder in BootDreams. You'll need to get your drive ID by running cdrecord.exe -scanbus and replacing it with mine (0,2,0). This was burnt from the CDRecord provided by BootDreams 1.0.5.

Code: Select all

cdrecord.exe gracetime=2 dev=0,2,0 driveropts=burnfree -v speed=24 -multi -dao cuefile=RFIRE.CUE

cdrecord.exe dev=0,2,0 -msinfo
Make sure that the number given after entering the above information matches the number after "-C" below. If it doesn't make sure that you change it.

mkisofs -G yabause-0.8.5-dc\IP.BIN -C 0,207085 -V yabause-0.8.5-dc -J -l -r -o data.iso yabause-0.8.5-dc

cdrecord.exe gracetime=2 dev=0,2,0 driveropts=burnfree -v speed=24 -eject -xa data.iso
Just know that it's very, very slow. The game is still on the intro screens and I booted Yabause-DC about 10-15 minutes ago.
Arqueiro
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Arqueiro »

thanks a lot for work on this ! :mrgreen:
3d graphics and visualization ?
http://www.arquiteturadigital.com
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

fackue wrote:Just know that it's very, very slow. The game is still on the intro screens and I booted Yabause-DC about 10-15 minutes ago.
Sounds like about what I went through with Magical School Lunar (and taking screenshots of it) for the last release. I think I let that movie run for a good 20 minutes or so before I got bored and skipped to the title screen. :mrgreen:

It is good to hear that it does indeed work, considering the only thing I could test it with was the BIOS.

Also, to everyone: Thanks for your support. It really makes me quite happy to know that people enjoy the programming that I do.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

I love that you are releasing for 3 platforms at once. I've always wanted saturn emulation to be taken seriously, and im so glad there are others that see it that way.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Nico0020 wrote:I love that you are releasing for 3 platforms at once. I've always wanted saturn emulation to be taken seriously, and im so glad there are others that see it that way.
By my count, the Yabause team in general relased for 4 platforms at once (not including little differences) :wink: :
Linux
Windows
Mac OS X
Dreamcast

Releasing for so many platforms at once certainly makes release times more interesting in the IRC channel for Yabause. :lol:
RMD
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RMD »

Is all of the saturns cpus and gpu's being used when rendering video? I was wondering because there are saturn video viewers for pc that dont take next to any power to run them. Couldnt you in theory just use code like that to run the videos in game at a much better rate instead of emulating the system to run the videos?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

RMD wrote:Is all of the saturns cpus and gpu's being used when rendering video? I was wondering because there are saturn video viewers for pc that dont take next to any power to run them. Couldnt you in theory just use code like that to run the videos in game at a much better rate instead of emulating the system to run the videos?
That would require the emulator knowing when video's being played. The way Yabause is written, there's no way for this to occur (and I'm reasonably sure it wouldn't be possible to implement it, even rewriting code). The way the video players deal with video is they decode it into a native format, KNOWING that the user is trying to play video. There's no way to know that a game is trying to play video.

Also, I'm reasonably sure that the rendering code on the Dreamcast port of Yabause is more of a bottleneck than the CPU emulation. during periods where there's no rendering going on, I've gotten upwards of 15FPS (normal, in-game stuff with rendering usually works out in the 3-5FPS range).

In short, there's a lot of work to be done all around, but especially on the rendering code.
RMD
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RMD »

You could use a chart and file scaning system. Could simply look for extention names per title. That way you'd be able to identify when a video was being played.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

RMD wrote:You could use a chart and file scaning system. Could simply look for extention names per title. That way you'd be able to identify when a video was being played.
I'm reasonably sure that I can't just retrieve what file is being accessed on the disc without a lot of effort.

That effort would in turn slow down general emulation when trying to load graphics data, sound, or anything that isn't just a movie.

Plus, doing something like that would require reverse engineering all of the formats (most of them probably aren't open formats where I could just get code to easily play them), and this would add more overhead to the emulator, even if the codecs were readily available.

The more overhead, the less space I have to work with, and having less space makes the prospects of ever having a dynarec of any sort less likely (dynarecs tend to eat up a lot of space, very quickly storing cached code blocks). I would really rather see a proper dynarec implemented sooner rather than later. As soon as I have the time to do so, I intend to do just that (however, I have no idea when I'll have enough time).

All in all, if someone else wants to implement such a feature, be my guest (Yabause is open source, so anyone can feel free to contribute); but I personally don't see how it will help anything at all.

Sorry if I seem a bit harsh, its just I really don't see the point in trying to implement something like what you describe... :?
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Saturn videos are software decoded, right ? So that means with a dynarec the decoding should be speeded up enormously too :)

Nice release btw :D
Insane homebrew collector.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Christuserloeser wrote:Saturn videos are software decoded, right ? So that means with a dynarec the decoding should be speeded up enormously too :)

Nice release btw :D
In probably 99% of cases, yes, they are decoded in software. So a dynarec would indeed speed up video decoding (assuming it was implemented in a manner that sped up general emulation).

In the remaining 1%, they're decoded by the optional addon MPEG card. I'm reasonably sure Yabause doesn't support the MPEG card fully enough to decode the videos in those games (although, there is some support for the MPEG card in there). I only have one game that uses the MPEG card in my posession (Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete), but alas, no MPEG card (also, the game is still factory sealed, and I have no intentions of opening it :mrgreen: ).
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Probably a good idea :) - Hm, the only game I got that I think has MPEG support is Gun Griffon.
Insane homebrew collector.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

One day we WILL have fullspeed Saturn emulation on Dreamcast.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

Here's a MR logo for Return File: