SCART RGB to Component!

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Dabisu
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

SCART RGB to Component!

Post by Dabisu »

I've recently regained interest in my Sega Saturn and would like to play it on my HDTV with an optimal setup. The best cables for the Saturn are SCART RGB (Europe and Japan). I'm thinking of buying a European SCART cable because it's RGB and then converting it to Component. I found some cheap converters online, however they only conver the video from the SCART cable not the audio. I haven't been able to find any other converters. If I find one I won't have to do a hardware mod, but I doubt that.

I found the pinout for SCART, however I'm not sure exactly how to go about doing the mod, for one I don't know what to do with the luminance and chrominance or most of the other things. If someone were able to give me a little bit of direction, it'd be greatly appreciated. I haven't done too many hardware mods, I'm pretty much a beginner on this kind of stuff. However, any bit of information will help!
"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggie? Or are you gonna bite?"
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Re: SCART RGB to Component!

Post by az_bont »

You might be able to get a SCART cable with a built in block containing the three regular phono sockets (yellow, red, white). These are very common over here, at least with third party leads:

You might have a little more trouble finding one for the Saturn, but if so, there exist SCART adaptors that accept multiple SCART inputs, and will also output composite video and audio over phono sockets, which don't cost very much (I payed £15 for quite a fancy-looking one).

Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Dabisu
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Dabisu »

One of those adaptors that can accept multiple inputs would be very handy, especially if I were to get SCART cables for the rest of my older systems.

I probably should've asked this earlier, can a European SCART cable display properly on an NTSC television? On top of that I wonder if the Euro Scart cable will work on a US saturn as well.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

From my experience those cheap multi-SCART adapters usually don't support RGB and/or their signals aren't properly isolated from each other - like you turn on your Saturn and the power going through the cables lights other system's LEDs >_<

So, you should look for a product that definitely says it's capable of RGB signals in its description - like this.
Insane homebrew collector.
Dabisu
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Dabisu »

Do you know if once converted to component it will work on a NTSC television? Right now I'm concerned with the different frequencies.
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

Dabisu, yes, it will work.

European RGB SCART cables work fine on Japanese and American Saturns. I've tried it myself.

Secondly, the scan-rate is determined by the machine - NOT the cable. Connecting the RGB SCART cable to the Saturn will output RGB60, which the transcoder will turn into 480i/60hz, which will work properly on any American HDTV.

Let us know what kind of transcoder you buy and how you get on.
Christuserloeser

Hm, why not just buying a VGA box and a VGA-to-Component adapter cable. You'd get 480p instead of 480i.
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

You can't easily get VGA-style video out of a Sega Saturn, can you?
Christuserloeser

I see, we're talking about Saturn... :oops:

No, you can't get a better picture than RGB Scart from a Saturn afaik.