It paved the way for the vastly inferior Streets of Rage 3.

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.

Agree Or Disagree

Yes, Agreed!
50%
No, Disagreed
50%

Total votes: 2
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

It paved the way for the vastly inferior Streets of Rage 3.

Post by cube_b3 »

If anyone is confused with the topic, it is a quote from Gamespot's review for SOR2.
http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/bare ... ary;review

So far I am really not impressed with there reviewing methodology for the Virtua-console, if I could suggest them something, I would tell them to review the games on its original consoles hardware capability and not on the Wii’s hardware, also list the review under Genesis, Snes etc instead of Wii.

Sorry for going off-topic back on track they made a comment about SOR 3 in the review which I completely disagree with and wanted your opinions.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: It paved the way for the vastly inferior Streets of Rage 3.

Post by Veggita2099 »

I have played all of them. I personally thought 2 and 3 was the best. I wouldn't either 2 or 3 was better then any of the others though.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

The music in Streets of Rage 3 wasn't a patch on the other two.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by Eckostyle »

BILAL_XIA wrote:If anyone is confused with the topic, it is a quote from Gamespot's review for SOR2.
http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/bare ... ary;review
if I could suggest them something, I would tell them to review the games on its original consoles hardware capability and not on the Wii’s hardware, also list the review under Genesis, Snes etc instead of Wii.
You do realize they review these games for the consumer, and not for their own entertainment and for the sake of it, right? Since the consumer is going to buy it to play on the Wii....it only makes sense to review it based on how it is on that system.

The game may be good, but sometimes they're crappy ports or poorly emulated, which XBLA ports are occasionally victim to. As for system classification, same thing applies. It's not on the Genesis this time, it's on the Wii. Also, remember the younger generation of gamers, they wont appreciate/enjoy them as we do, so reviewing the game as it stands now makes sense to do.

And as for SoR3, even though it's my favorite, SoR2 is clearly better. The gameplay in SoR3 was way to fast, and it was damn hard. The soundtrack was also more noisy than melodic. The "Moving Construction Platform" level music was catchy, though.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

How the hell would anyone find SOR2's crappy gameplay over SOR3's enhanced version is beyond me, the same applies to graphics and story (japanese Bare Knuckles 3 story is better then the english edit).

The only thing SOR 2 could claim a victory over is the sound, or just music not even sound.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

BILAL_XIA wrote: list the review under Genesis, Snes etc instead of Wii.
I don't think they should list the games under an entirely different console, but it WOULD help if they put VC game reviews in a special section. It's a pain in the ass for me to keep up with Wii reviews when they are littered with VC games too.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

I find most beat-em-ups, or whatever genre you wanna call it, boring and repetitive. Sure, it was fun with final fight and that snk clone of final fight, but nowadays, I ain't interested.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

BILAL_XIA wrote:How the hell would anyone find SOR2's crappy gameplay over SOR3's enhanced version is beyond me, the same applies to graphics and story (japanese Bare Knuckles 3 story is better then the english edit).

The only thing SOR 2 could claim a victory over is the sound, or just music not even sound.
I see, so you just disagreed with someone's elses opinion and thought you would make a topic about it? Fascinating.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

BoneyCork wrote:
BILAL_XIA wrote:How the hell would anyone find SOR2's crappy gameplay over SOR3's enhanced version is beyond me, the same applies to graphics and story (japanese Bare Knuckles 3 story is better then the english edit).

I see, so you just disagreed with someone's elses opinion and thought you would make a topic about it? Fascinating.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

And I agree with those that said it:
SOR2 > SOR3
There's just no comparison, 2 IS better than 3.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

It actually isn't. I thought the same for years, but it's only really the core that's better in SoR2; the way it feels beating up people (sound effects, timing) - Everything else is better in BK3 (which is the original Japanese version of SoR3):

The compositions are just brilliant throughout the entire game, where SoR2 has only a few really awesome tracks, most of which are remixes from SoR1. (You can't really judge this from emulation in Gens or Kega, as they sound nothing like the real deal.)

BK3 features far more detailed and more colorful graphics, many more moves (all from SoR1 are back in SoR3), running (!), upgradeable special moves, better voice samples, twice as much playable characters (including three hidden ones), a better story, various routes to take, and a lot more diversity in each stage.

When SOA butchered BK3 for the western markets they really fucked up big time: They changed the standard colors of the playable characters, replaced voices and sounds with their own crappy recordings, cut the entire intro (!), changed and crippled the story, renamed enemies, cut levels and characters (even playable ones!), changed even simple item locations (for absolutely no reason at all), and as if that weren't enough, made the game at least three times as hard so Easy is now even harder than Hard in BK3 and this is probably the worst decision they possibly could have made as SoR3 turned out to be really fucking frustrating game.
Because you lose them when you die, it's almost impossible to keep your upgraded moves which again adds to the difficulty and the frustration.

European and Australian users are even worse off than the US gamers though, as on top of that, our version is almost 20% slower than the original.
Insane homebrew collector.
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by Eckostyle »

In SoR2 I feel like Im beating people up.

In SoR3, I felt like I was swatting flies.
Christuserloeser

Eckostyle wrote:In SoR2 I feel like Im beating people up.

In SoR3, I felt like I was swatting flies.
True, and I am going to change that in Rage of the Streets v2: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=90332

Hasney wrote:Yes, BK3 IS slightly better than SOR2. BUT, SOR3 is not better than SOR2 which is the topic at hand.
How could I miss this... - God, SoR3 sucks. It's so horrible I can't even think about it without getting sick. It just fuckin sucks. :evil:
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

now I definitly agree Streets of Rage 2 is better than 3, SoR 2 I can actually play through the game and enjoy myself wheras with SoR 3 I have to force myself to even get past the first level. Very glad i held out long enough to buy SoR 2 on the wii instead of SoR 1.
Christuserloeser

mrandyk wrote:Very glad i held out long enough to buy SoR 2 on the wii instead of SoR 1.
SoR1 is a totally awesome game. It's not fucked up like SoR3. It has better music than SoR2 and even more moves and it is just fun to play. The only thing that isn't perfect with this game would be the graphics. But they're not bad all, it's that they just could have been better, even for its time - see Revenge of Shinobi.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

I hated Sor3. The charm within SoR 1 and 2 was the way the music drew you into that game. Yuzo Koshiro is a fine musician in the gaming world. Sor3 had a really bad soundtrack but I liked the running option and fast paced action. Sor2 had a godly soundtrack,great characters and wonderful beat em up fun.I definitely pick SoR 1 and 2 and forget about 3.
Have you played dreamcast today?