After a new ADSL2+ modem. Suggstions?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

After a new ADSL2+ modem. Suggstions?

Post by Skynet »

Any brands I should stay away from? I've had ADSL for quite some time but just today was migrated over to ADSL2+. Although I'm happy my speeds have increased, I'd prefer it to be a bit better than what they are currently as I don't have an ADSL2+ capable modem. Also, should I try to avoid an ADSL2 modem/router in the same device? Currently I have a modem connected to a cheap Belkin wireless router. Although the router does the job, I would much prefer something better. I've seen a lot of people on here talking about the WRT54G-L or something? I'm guessing it doesn't have an ADSL2+ modem in it? 1 piece of hardware would be nice, but the wireless router can wait if it has to. Mainly I'm after a decent ADSL2 modem, but would love to get my hands on a new wifi router at some point.

Any info would be appreciated.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Re: After a new ADSL2+ modem. Suggstions?

Post by Ex-Cyber »

I've seen a lot of people on here talking about the WRT54G-L or something? I'm guessing it doesn't have an ADSL2+ modem in it?
It doesn't; it's strictly a router/gateway device. The WRT54G is an extremely common wireless+wired router/gateway originally with firmware based on Linux. Some folks got Linksys to release the source code and started creating custom firmwares like OpenWRT and DD-WRT. Linksys changed later revisions of the WRT54G to use a different operating system (VxWorks) and reduced the amount of memory (radically changing hardware designs without changing the model number is one of Linksys's bad habits). The "WRT54GL" is merely a rebranding of the previous Linux-based WRT54G design marketed at a higher price to those who want to run custom firmwares on their router. The memory-reduced WRT54G routers *can* run Linux, but the memory is so small that it's difficult to do much with it. The stock firmwares on these units is also said to have really bad wireless performance when dealing with multiple connections (I can't verify this for current versions, but I've seen some very ugly benchmarks for prior ones). You'd probably be better off going with another brand unless you really need to buy from a local store - I used to regularly see recommendations for Buffalo Tech and Asus devices.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Thanks for clarifying that about the router. Like I said, that can wait anyway. What it is that I'm really interested at the moment though is a new modem as I'm only getting a little over 3Mbps due to modem limitations on my ADSL2+ connection.

JellyWarrior
General Jelly
General Jelly

Post by JellyWarrior »

Get one with QOS (Quality of Service) and VoIP built in.

I'd seriously consider getting one that also does VoIP as then you can sign up with a VoIP provider such as Engin or MyNetFone and make hundreds of national calls to any landline for only $15 a month. It will save you heaps on your phone calls.

I know Engin sells re-branded Linksys and Engin equipment.

(if you need any VoIP info just PM me)
I am involved in : Mytalk | Comet TV | Distinctive Web Services
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

Skynet wrote:Thanks for clarifying that about the router. Like I said, that can wait anyway. What it is that I'm really interested at the moment though is a new modem as I'm only getting a little over 3Mbps due to modem limitations on my ADSL2+ connection.
At the mo, I'm using a Linksys WAG-200G, and it seems to work just fine on my ADSL2+ line :) it was pretty cheap too, I got mine for £35, and its been faultless :D
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I'm guessing this will cause a lot of speed loss, but I should probably move my router closer to my phone outlet yes? Right now I have a pretty long cable going from one end of the house to the other even though I have a wireless router. I should probably just get a 1m cable and put the my modem/router near the outlet right?

Problem is I never got a wireless NIC for my main PC. Everything else should be fine. If I need my XBox to have net connection or even to my network I can do that via my PC NIC and a cable. Same with my cube. But my 360, Wii, Laptop and DS don't matter as it's wifi.

Also while I'm on the subject, should I get a wireless USB adapter or go for a PCI card? Is there much difference? USB would probably be better as it means I can swap between computers if needed without opening the case up. But if a PCI card would be best I'll get that.

Thanks to everyone who has posted so far and to Jelly Warrior, I don't need VOIP. My phone bills are basically nothing as it is anyway. :lol:

Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

Dunno, it doesnt change it drastically by having it closer to the phone line be honest.

As for wireless adapters, imo get a usb one. Long as your computer has USB2.0 ports you wont really be at any speed loss :)
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Gmc wrote:Dunno, it doesnt change it drastically by having it closer to the phone line be honest.

As for wireless adapters, imo get a usb one. Long as your computer has USB2.0 ports you wont really be at any speed loss :)
I just figured that the longer the extension cable the higher chance there would be in a drop of speed. The cable is huge. Anyone remember how long the cable that came with the Dreamcast was? It's probably that long, if not longer. And yeah I have USB2.0 as far as I know. It's a fairly new system, built in January, so I think it should be OK.

Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Cable length is related to signal loss, but it's not that dramatic for something like DSL. The signal has to travel through quite a bit of copper (thousands of feet is common, at least in the US) before it gets to your house in the first place, so you don't really have much control over that in a big-picture sense. It's more important to ensure that the cables and connectors are of decent quality (usually DSL modems come with a reasonably solid cat3 cable), that the phone wiring in your house is sane, and that regular phone line devices - especially ones with complex electronics like fax machines, satellite receivers, wireless phones, and so on - are filtered.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer