PS3 PS2 controller adapter

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

PS3 PS2 controller adapter

Post by Skynet »

So I've seen USB adapters for PS3 that allow you to plug PS2 controllers into them. My question is should these work on PC? I was thinking of buying one for use on my PC with my GH guitar and possibly some arcade sticks I've seen cheap and with some cool Street Fighter pads I've seen. I don't wanna buy one of these if it doesn't work as I don't have a PS3.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Why get a PS3 specific one? There are loads of PS2 > USB converters out there, and there have been for a years. They work with all the various PS2 controllers fine.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

The PS3 controllers have a 'guide' button that you need to press to boot into a PS2 / PS1 game.

Standard USB converters dont have these. Nor do DualShocks.

Its the reason Guitar Hero doesn't work, because it plugs into the controller port not the USB socket natively (unlike SingStar and Buzz).

Point is moot for using dualshocks on a PC though. Unless its all he can find around.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Why get a PS3 specific one? There are loads of PS2 > USB converters out there, and there have been for a years. They work with all the various PS2 controllers fine.
Mainly coz I'm not the biggest fan of buying stuff online, although I do. I know where to buy these things in store close by. So I figured if I can just grab one, why not.
The PS3 controllers have a 'guide' button that you need to press to boot into a PS2 / PS1 game.

Standard USB converters dont have these. Nor do DualShocks.

Its the reason Guitar Hero doesn't work, because it plugs into the controller port not the USB socket natively (unlike SingStar and Buzz).

Point is moot for using dualshocks on a PC though. Unless its all he can find around.
So... you're saying this thing wouldn't work on PC? I don't want to have anything to do with the PS3 or anything as I don't own one. It just seemed like a quick and easy way to get PS2 accessories, like the guitar and arcade sticks working on my PC.

Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

Well, USB adaptors made specificly for PC require drivers to function properly. I'm not sure if generic drivers can be downloaded easily, but I'm pretty sure such drivers aren't going to be included with adaptors made for PS3. Just something to keep in mind.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Alright, I wasn't entirely sure about the driver thing. Just thought if someone had one and they'd tried it, did it work or not.

Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

My PS2>USB converter works without any driver installation. I hooked it up on a fresh Ubuntu install and a fresh WinXP install and all buttons and analog functions worked perfectly.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

It should be fine.