So much for being a good samaritan

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

So much for being a good samaritan

Post by melancholy »

Today as I was working on my computer, I hear a knock on the door. I open it up and there stands a woman who looks like she is almost to the point of tears. She tells me that her car was dead and she needed to get to the pharmacy before it closed. She needed that medicine desperately and asked if I would take her to the pharmacy and that she'd give me $5 for gas. I have seen her around the apartment complex before so I decided that I would be nice and quickly take her there. I know I would hate to find out something serious happened to somebody just because I was being selfish. On the drive there, she was really nice. She was in her late 30's, so we ended up talking about general things like pets, apartments around the area, and so forth. We got to the pharmacy with about 10 minutes to spare. She runs in, is gone for about 3 minutes, and returns.

We leave the parking lot, get back out on the road and get about 3 blocks down the road. Suddenly, a cop comes out of nowhere and pulls me over. I had no idea what it was about, but when I looked at the woman, she had this look on her face like she just wanted me to floor it and get the hell out. The cop comes to the window and asks for her ID. She hands it to him, and as he pulls out his notepad, she bolts out of the car. Luckily we were stopped near a fence so she couldn't run away from the car, and since she had a slight limp, the cop easily caught her before she collapsed and went into a panic. He handcuffed her and pushed her into the cop car before returning to my car and asking for my ID. I told the cop I had no idea who she was and that she just knocked on my apartment door to ask for a ride. He asks for my phone number and tells me she was arrested for forgery, false ID, and drug related charges. He then lets me go. I ask if they were going to call me or something, and he said it was probably unnecessary, so at least he knew I was truly clueless about the whole situation.

At any rate, my neighborly kindness is now used up. No way am I ever taking a stranger anywhere again.
Thomas
Thomas
Been thanked: 0

Post by Thomas »

That is the reason why I never take anyone who asks for a ride anywhere. I'll happy to give them a few dollars for the bus, but I never let anyone in my car.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Thomas wrote:I'll happy to give them a few dollars for the bus, but I never let anyone in my car.
That's half the reason I even took her. There is no bus around here. There was absolutely no way for her to have gotten there on time without someone driving her, which is why I thought I should be nice.

...but of course I thought wrong.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

I only answers the door when I hear they calling my name. If the person doesn't know my name, I have no reason to talk to him/her.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 »

Did you get your $5 for gas?
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

$5 isn't enough for gas. I would have let her go into shock before forking up precious petroleum.
JellyWarrior
General Jelly
General Jelly

Post by JellyWarrior »

Well I think you did the right thing in giving her a lift, despite what happened afterwards. It's great to hear that there are still good people in the world.

Never giving a stranger a lift again probably isn't the answer. You've learned a good life lesson regarding character judgement.

BTW, I hope everything turns out ok.
I am involved in : Mytalk | Comet TV | Distinctive Web Services
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

hearld500 wrote:Did you get your $5 for gas?
Nope. Not that I would have taken it anyway unless she would have insisted. I didn't drive her there just to get $5 out of the deal.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

Your efforts weren't wasted! You were just being neighborly and helping her fuel her prescription drug addiction!

:lol: :lol:

- Fuzmeister
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

At least they nabbed her....
mink03
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mink03 »

wow that is a fucking crazy ass story!
crabcakes
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

i think this calls for a rofl.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Yeah, I have no updates on the situation, since the police never contacted me, nor have I seen that woman around the complex since then. I really don't know what came of it all, but in this situation, no news is definitely good news.