VMU Problems

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Superstrider
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

VMU Problems

Post by Superstrider »

When I play emulators like NesterDC SE and GNUBoy, They try to save to my VMU, but fail... On top of that, they eat up blocks on the card that I cannot seem to delete... (It says that the space is being used, but there is no visible file that the Dreamcast can Identify...) Is there anyway I can fix this without reformating my VMU? (I have some save files that cannot be moved to other memory cards, like Sonic Shuffle, so I'd like to preserve the data that I have.)
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

That's weird. If you don't want to wait for a proper reply, you could try using VMU Tool / Dream Explorer to browse your VMU in more exhaustive ways.
Superstrider
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Superstrider »

It didn't help with removing those hidden files... On top of that, that program has trouble recognizing my VMU. Maybe its because my VMU is an ordinary memory card, instead of the Digital VMU's most common with Dreamcasts. Is there anything I can do?
Sonic RPG Demo #3 Complete!
Click to Download!

Progress of Sonic RPG: First 15 Chapters Complete!
Chapter 16: The Martial Art Tournament 0% Completed

My Deviantart
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

DreamExplorer has no trouble recognizing non-visual memory units, at least not in my experience with a number of different models.

It sounds like your card may be corrupted. You should try to get all your files off of it and format it. Even after the format, I wouldn't recommend keeping any important saves on it.

...word is bondage...
Superstrider
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Superstrider »

How do I get my files off of it? I do not have a second VMU... And even if I did, I have saves on there that cannot be transfered to other memory cards, like Soul Calibur, Sonic Shuffle, and Project Justice...
Click to Download!

My Deviantart
TopSpot123
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by TopSpot123 »

First I would get a new memory card somewhere.
Secondly on games like Soul Caliber you can boot up your save in the game and then resave it on a different memory card. I've had to do it many times myself. May work with Sonic Shuffle, but I don't remember.
Lastly, ever since I found the VMU Tool / Dream Explorer it makes all that crap super easy by giving you control over the copy protection.

Hope this helps!
Superstrider
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Re: VMU Problems

Post by Superstrider »

Sorry for reviving an old topic, but...

VMU Tool is not helping me... It won't even allow me to reformat the damn memory card in order to start from scratch... Whenever I try to do anything with VMU Tool/Dream Explorer, it reads my memory card for a few seconds, then says that I have no VMU loaded... WHAT SHOULD I DO?!
Click to Download!

My Deviantart
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Seems you really need a new VMU...
Insane homebrew collector.
Superstrider
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Superstrider »

Yeah... I just bought one off eBay... Still waiting for it to come in... I've decided that my memory card is beyond hope... :cry:
Click to Download!

My Deviantart