Crazy Ken to join Nintendo?

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
FiendWithoutAface
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Crazy Ken to join Nintendo?

Post by FiendWithoutAface »

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/784/784665p1.html

The above link is a Wii release list for 07. This is taken from the bottom of the article:

"In separate, but semi-related news, rumors began to circulate late last week that Nintendo was interested in hiring former Sony head Ken Kutaragi, who, having fathered the PlayStation and its predecessors, is leaving the company. But speaking with the Japanese press, Nintendo's president said that such rumors were unfounded."

I find it highly unlikely but stranger things have happened. Would Kutaragi be of service to Nintendo or a liability?
MapleBuster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MapleBuster »

I thought he had already accepted a new position at Sony.

Anyhow didn't Nintendo just announce record profits ? The Wii, DS and GBA are all selling well. It's not like they need him right now. The only possible advantage would be to use his experience of making games appeal as as 'cool', something that Smash Bro's and Mario will never be but Wipeout and Driver most definitely were. It is hard to deny his skill and experience of attracting the mainstream to Sony's consoles.

Personally I think the Wii bubble will burst eventually. Too many games are using that stupid controller. Maraccas and Eyetoy were novel for a while but, in the same way you don't mind your pissed Grandpa flailing away on the dancefloor once a year, it would quickly become tedious as an everyday occurence.

If they got Yu Suzuki, Jeff Minter and Kenji Eno in they would be better appointments.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I'm sure someone at Nintendo said in jest that it would be awesome to have Ken on their team. It was more than likely a friendly comment rather than a job offer.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

MapleBuster wrote:
Personally I think the Wii bubble will burst eventually.
I think you're wrong and Wii will become the best selling home console 'this gen' but only time will tell.

On Topic: IGN is (surpise) wrong.

It was a mistranslation that went from Japanese original -> German fansite -> English and ended up being misquoted as the exact opposite of what Iwata actually said.

Kutarugi at Nintendo would certainly be interesting though.
FiendWithoutAface
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Nyarlathotep wrote:
MapleBuster wrote:
Personally I think the Wii bubble will burst eventually.
I think you're wrong and Wii will become the best selling home console 'this gen' but only time will tell.

On Topic: IGN is (surpise) wrong.

It was a mistranslation that went from Japanese original -> German fansite -> English and ended up being misquoted as the exact opposite of what Iwata actually said.

Kutarugi at Nintendo would certainly be interesting though.
I absolutely agree. The home console market needed a change and Wii is what the Dr. ordered. Not only do I think that the Wii will continue to be the smashing success that it has been since launch but it will also force Sony and MS to drastically rethink their business strategies this point onward.
MapleBuster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MapleBuster »

Well I think Sony with it's ps3 six axis controller has already taken a leaf out of Nintendo's book.

I haven't got any inate dislike of the Wii, I just motion-sensored, dancematted, bongo'ed and trance vibrationally orgasmed myself to death on the last gen machines. That is to say I am now truly maracca'd.

I hope the Wii continues to be successful btw ! It's not for me though.

Anyway the DS is my console of the moment. I'm glad Ken didn't have any say in the DS, it's perfect as it is.
RMD
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RMD »

Everyone I know who has a wii admites that the novality wears thin in about a month. Then the sad truth that nothing they want is really coming out to the system and everything they're wanting to play, plays just as good on a regular controller and doesnt need the gimicky wii mote. I mean Zelda is a prime example of the wiimote adding nothing to the gameplay. The wiimote is great for FPS which is excatly what the system wont be getting any huge strong titles in. So its canceling itself. FPS have always been around graphics to a point and the wii failed at that. It will go in classic Nintendo fashion. Strong at first then drop to last place once it loses all its support.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

RMD wrote:Everyone I know who has a wii admites that the novality wears thin in about a month. Then the sad truth that nothing they want is really coming out to the system and everything they're wanting to play, plays just as good on a regular controller and doesnt need the gimicky wii mote. I mean Zelda is a prime example of the wiimote adding nothing to the gameplay. The wiimote is great for FPS which is excatly what the system wont be getting any huge strong titles in. So its canceling itself. FPS have always been around graphics to a point and the wii failed at that. It will go in classic Nintendo fashion. Strong at first then drop to last place once it loses all its support.
After reading this whole statement, I was easily able to substitute out the word 'Wii' for 'DS' and 'Wiimote' for 'touch screen', which is the exact arguments that were being made during the first year of the DS. However, though the DS was pretty pathetic the first year it was around, once developers realized it was a popular machine, worthwhile games started to pour in. I imagine the Wii will be very similar in this respect.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

RMD wrote:It will go in classic Nintendo fashion. Strong at first then drop to last place once it loses all its support.
You are at least aware that there were home consoles prior to the Xbox / Playstation 2 / Gamecube aren't you?
FiendWithoutAface
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

melancholy wrote:
RMD wrote:Everyone I know who has a wii admites that the novality wears thin in about a month. Then the sad truth that nothing they want is really coming out to the system and everything they're wanting to play, plays just as good on a regular controller and doesnt need the gimicky wii mote. I mean Zelda is a prime example of the wiimote adding nothing to the gameplay. The wiimote is great for FPS which is excatly what the system wont be getting any huge strong titles in. So its canceling itself. FPS have always been around graphics to a point and the wii failed at that. It will go in classic Nintendo fashion. Strong at first then drop to last place once it loses all its support.
After reading this whole statement, I was easily able to substitute out the word 'Wii' for 'DS' and 'Wiimote' for 'touch screen', which is the exact arguments that were being made during the first year of the DS. However, though the DS was pretty pathetic the first year it was around, once developers realized it was a popular machine, worthwhile games started to pour in. I imagine the Wii will be very similar in this respect.
One thing that specifically pops to mind with your comparisons is that the first DS games were primarily GBA games with tact on touch input. After the initial wave of crap that was released the platform started getting games that take advantage of it's 3d capabilities. That trend seems to be taking shape on wii. The releases thus far have largely been comparative to GC in terms of graphics. Upcoming games like Mario Galaxy, Metroid Corruption, and Disaster: Day of Crisis go beyond what we saw on GC.

In fact I cant think of a platformer on either 360 or PS3 thats looks better visually than Mario Galaxy. But thats a slightly other matter altogether. the point is that Wii is capable of doing at the very least twice as much as the GC was. And with an architecture that is almost identical to GC's developers have had 6+ years of dev time to put behind it and will have another 5 some odd years to really push the hell out of it.

We aint seen nothin yet.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

FiendWithoutAface wrote:
melancholy wrote:
One thing that specifically pops to mind with your comparisons is that the first DS games were primarily GBA games with tact on touch input. After the initial wave of crap that was released the platform started getting games that take advantage of it's 3d capabilities. That trend seems to be taking shape on wii. The releases thus far have largely been comparative to GC in terms of graphics. Upcoming games like Mario Galaxy, Metroid Corruption, and Disaster: Day of Crisis go beyond what we saw on GC.

In fact I cant think of a platformer on either 360 or PS3 thats looks better visually than Mario Galaxy. But thats a slightly other matter altogether. the point is that Wii is capable of doing at the very least twice as much as the GC was. And with an architecture that is almost identical to GC's developers have had 6+ years of dev time to put behind it and will have another 5 some odd years to really push the hell out of it.

We aint seen nothin yet.
<sarcasm>But it can't play Halo 3 at 1080p.</sarcasm>
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

FiendWithoutAface wrote: In fact I cant think of a platformer on either 360 or PS3 thats looks better visually than Mario Galaxy. But thats a slightly other matter altogether. the point is that Wii is capable of doing at the very least twice as much as the GC was. And with an architecture that is almost identical to GC's developers have had 6+ years of dev time to put behind it and will have another 5 some odd years to really push the hell out of it.

We aint seen nothin yet.
Maybe not a platformer, but i can think of a number of other games on both consoles that wipe the floor with anything on or coming out on the Wii.

But then the Wii is not about gfx or never has been.
FiendWithoutAface
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

zero wrote:
FiendWithoutAface wrote: In fact I cant think of a platformer on either 360 or PS3 thats looks better visually than Mario Galaxy. But thats a slightly other matter altogether. the point is that Wii is capable of doing at the very least twice as much as the GC was. And with an architecture that is almost identical to GC's developers have had 6+ years of dev time to put behind it and will have another 5 some odd years to really push the hell out of it.

We aint seen nothin yet.
Maybe not a platformer, but i can think of a number of other games on both consoles that wipe the floor with anything on or coming out on the Wii.

I wasn't making a point of console a producing better visuals than console b or c. I was merely pointing out that the Wii despite its alleged handicap is a capable graphics machine despite the fact it does not produce visuals in hd. That said, I don't find the leap in visuals all that great between the Wii and the other 2 next gen consoles. All of which can work within a 3d realm, and all 3 of them do it incredibly well.
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

FiendWithoutAface wrote:
zero wrote:

We aint seen nothin yet.

I wasn't making a point of console a producing better visuals than console b or c. I was merely pointing out that the Wii despite its alleged handicap is a capable graphics machine despite the fact it does not produce visuals in hd. That said, I don't find the leap in visuals all that great between the Wii and the other 2 next gen consoles. All of which can work within a 3d realm, and all 3 of them do it incredibly well.
i see a big enough leap between the Wii and the other 2.
and HD has nothing got to do with it, sure HD makes the games look more sharp allows you to see tiny details etc, but even on a SD TV i see a big leap in graphics.

Sure on some games that is not always the case, but on the games thats made with the PS3 and X360 in mind the leap is huge.

The Wii is a solid console but imo the only thing that's nextgen about it is the controls.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

I am just going to say this much. The wii will have fun,exciting,innovative games to play the wii is much loved around here that is all everyone talks about! The games on wii may not look top notch but I personally don't care if you have a computer at home or the money to blow on a expensive system with all the GFX and all the technical BS that's overrated go for it.

Wii has sold 10 million+ units so far, Which has done more superior then the Gamecube has done. With games like Zelda TP,Godfather Black hand,Scarface with innovative controls,A very solid browser and Many classic games on the VC I don't need the other 2 platforms ever. Some people are just too damn skeptical.
Have you played dreamcast today?
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

Dreamcast4life wrote:I am just going to say this much. The wii will have fun,exciting,innovative games to play the wii is much loved around here that is all everyone talks about! The games on wii may not look top notch but I personally don't care if you have a computer at home or the money to blow on a expensive system with all the GFX and all the technical BS that's overrated go for it.

Wii has sold 10 million+ units so far, Which has done more superior then the Gamecube has done. With games like Zelda TP,Godfather Black hand,Scarface with innovative controls,A very solid browser and Many classic games on the VC I don't need the other 2 platforms ever. Some people are just too damn skeptical.
The Wii has not sold 10+ million units its something more like 6 million+ sold.
But if it keeps selling like it is it should hit the 10 million mark soon enough.

And i know it's your opinion but i would not be happy with just a Wii alone, id have to have one of the other next gen consoles to go along with it.

And i didn't blow my money when i got an xbox 360, i got a console that i enjoy a lot and am going to enjoy for a long time to come with all the good games that's coming out for it.

And the xbox360 is far from being over rated maybe in your opinion it is but in this case 10+ million other people do not agree with you and im far from being skeptical...