Best ending for Castlevania SOTN.

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Best ending for Castlevania SOTN.

Post by Veggita2099 »

I currently have 193% completed and have all the relics and familars. Can't see any areas that I haven't explored.

Mainly wondering if the ending with 200.6% is any better then the 193% ending. I imagine the ps1 version had cutscenes for the end of the game, just wondering if the 360 version even has a different ending?
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by politoe »

Richter lets Maria chase after Alucard. The only cutscene that it had in the end was the castle crumbling and disappearing.
compare with this map
http://worldbeyondwalls.free.fr/2006.html
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Kinda off topic but I have found Castlevania games to be hit or miss. Really it seems like I either really love them or really hate them. Castlevania 2 and 3 = great. Castlevania 4 hated. Dracula X = Great Castlevania Circle of Moon = hated. Castlevania Aria of Sorrow ( I think the one with 2 castles on GBA I think it had alcard maybe? Obviously SOTN = Great (best actually). I tried Portrait of Ruin and after dieing to the first boss multiple times after a measly 3 hits I decided I hated it. But besides the difficulty I didn't like the story or the Mario 64 jump into a painting and be anywhere gameplay.

That being said any suggestions of other Castlevania games I might like. I think I am done with SOTN. Was a great game however I don't feel the need to nit pick and try to find every single nook and cranny that I didn't explore. Actually this was probably the best $10 I have spent in a long time actually.

I have thought about the other DS Castlevania since its available for $20 pretty much anywhere. I don't mind a little bit of difficulty, however I don't like having to fight a boss that is the same size of the screen that can kill me in 3 hits.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Dawn of Sorrow is actually harder than Portrait of Ruin but sticks to the SOTN formula much closer - plus you can level up in it, which always helps if you dont mind the mmorpg-style grind of it all (hey, you're an everquest player, Im sure you dont :P).

It also has lots of grinding to get 'souls' from various enemies, some of whom make it easier than being without (eg getting a ghoul soul lets you eat rotten meat, and tinned rotten meat which restores your entire health bar is easy to obtain).

I dont know if youd like the touchscreen 'boss seals' though - when you kill a boss, you have to draw a pattern quickly on the touchscreen, if you dont get it right the boss regenerates health and you have to kill him some more.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

I never liked any Castlevania game, they all seem to have very little story to drive them and just have you move from place to place with no real direction on what to do or where to get.

Much like Super Metroid, but Super Metroid is cool.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

I don't think until they started featuring neat stuff like forking paths or RPG elements were they really standout games - the first one used movie monsters as a gimmick and is still a fun game, but nothing amazing.

However, I must say that I loved Circle of the Moon and, compared to Symphony, it seemed to be more refined and streamlined - albeit the annoying card system. Symphony of the Night was still a great game for me though too.

- Fuzmeister
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

APE wrote:I never liked any Castlevania game, they all seem to have very little story to drive them and just have you move from place to place with no real direction on what to do or where to get.

Much like Super Metroid, but Super Metroid is cool.
Try Castlevania 3. Straight up action, and still the best of the series. Grant is awesome.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

I've loved every Castlevania I've played, except maybe the N64 incarnations...and I still played the hell out of them. Both DS Castlevanias were awesome IMO. At first I wasn't crazy about the paintings in PoR, but I ended up liking it in the end. While I loved both DS games, I definitely feel that DoS > PoR.