PSX4ALL

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
mog123
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

PSX4ALL

Post by mog123 »

No, this isn't a request.
It's just a simple question:

I know that chui is like the only active(or the most from the few) developers, so I'm not pushing or anything, take your time. But, if there already is a working binary of PSX4ALL that some people have, why can't it be released to the public? Will it ever see the public daylight?
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

I don't think so, I heard it's damn slow.
mog123
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by mog123 »

So what if it's slow?
It's better to have it slow, than to have nothing, ne?

Especially when there is nothing more to do, but just post the files on forums/ website.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

mog123 wrote:It's better to have it slow, than to have nothing, ne?
Maybe not for the coders rep or whatever.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

actually zodttd (sic?) the author of psx4all was the last person to actively work on the Dreamcast branch. I don't know how he did it, but chui somehow convinced him to rename it from palmpsx (it was originally for palm and pocketpc) to psx4all and has made it seem like he wrote the whole thing from nothing.

The DC version is extremely slow because it's basically the same thing as pcsxdc (psx4all's predecessor was based on pcsx so that's understandable).
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Chui mentioned that he plans on working on SNES4All now and PS4All after that.
Quzar wrote:actually zodttd (sic?) the author of psx4all was the last person to actively work on the Dreamcast branch.
If I remember correctly, all he did was to compile his latest version with Fox and Chui's makefiles.
Quzar wrote:The port was already made. He set up the environment and built the sources in a few hours. (not to belittle you at all zod).

Regarding the speed, here are some nice videos: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39332
Insane homebrew collector.
mog123
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by mog123 »

Yeah, I've seen the fftactics vid, before showing the monastery inside, it looked almost full speed ;p
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Christuserloeser wrote:Chui mentioned that he plans on working on SNES4All now and PS4All after that.
Quzar wrote:actually zodttd (sic?) the author of psx4all was the last person to actively work on the Dreamcast branch.
If I remember correctly, all he did was to compile his latest version with Fox and Chui's makefiles.
Quzar wrote:The port was already made. He set up the environment and built the sources in a few hours. (not to belittle you at all zod).
Regarding the speed, here are some nice videos: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39332
After that he did stuff. He modified it to use his interpreter which ended up being faster, which was at a later date than the post you quoted me from. Discussion of this was held in a forum on dcemu.co.uk that you do not have access to.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

The project actually started off as a PSX emulator for Tapwave Zodiac. If you want to see its genesis, look for the appropriate threads at http://www.tapland.com and http://www.zodiacgamer.com

zodttd is the person who was originally working on the port, and the initial port ran surprisingly fast given how little time had gone into it. It was after he decided to take the project multiplatform that it was brought under the "4all" umbrella.