Computer Skills Or Other Paying Positions

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
IiLuSiv
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Computer Skills Or Other Paying Positions

Post by IiLuSiv »

I'm young, in college, and have recently got a dose of reality. I realize when I get out I may not be able to get a job based off what I know and if I do it will probably be unrelated.

I figure since I'm not working, instead of putting 8 hours a week at some low pay job, it would be a better investment to learn a skill that pays.

I'm at an age where I am committed to follow through with a course of study, so I am wondering what are some skills I could teach myself that would result in having a dependable middle class (or better) income.

I know of a few things.

Network Administration
JAVA Programming
Advanced Web Design

what else...? Anything in high demand?
Last edited by IiLuSiv on Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
I have a secret...
you
got
punkd
lo

ser
IiLuSiv
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by IiLuSiv »

http://w3schools.com/

I found this website, but I don't know the marketablity of a lot of this stuff. I just want to spend the next few months to 2 years learning something that will allow me to make money.
I have a secret...
you
got
punkd
lo

ser
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Re: Computer Skills Or Other Paying Positions

Post by butters »

IiLuSiv wrote:I'm young, in college, and have recently got a dose of reality. I realize when I get out I may not be able to get a job based off what I know and if I do it will probably be unrelated.

I figure since I'm not working, instead of putting 8 hours a week at some low pay job, it would be a better investment to learn a skill that pays.

I'm at an age where I am committed to follow through with a course of study, so I am wondering what are some skills I could teach myself preferably in a non-construction field that would result in having a dependable middle class (or better) income.

I know of a few things.

Network Administration
JAVA Programming
Advanced Web Design

what else...? Anything in high demand?
Get some certs can do programming for a living. It takes years of IT work to get to be a network administrator, and web designers are a dime a dozen these days.
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

I know of a few things.

Network Administration
JAVA Programming
Advanced Web Design
Getting some PHP & MySQL* knowledge under your belt would compliment your current skills. Web Applications seem to be quite 'in' right now ;)

*substitute your favourite relational database and web scripting language here.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

PHP is for n00bs. 9 out of 10 |-|4><0r5 agree that Ruby on Rails is l33t. Or so Leo Laporte would have us believe.
mink03
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mink03 »

if you know photoshop well you could go to your local tv stations and see if they need a part time graphics artist.. to make those those little over the shoulder pictures you see during anchor deads
crabcakes
IiLuSiv
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by IiLuSiv »

What is the deal with C Sharp and .NET, someone was telling me these were hot.

As far as Java goes, if I get certified, how do I go about getting a job, and what kinda paywage do you think they have. I've heard standard is 45 an hour, which doesn't sound bad at all.
I have a secret...
you
got
punkd
lo

ser
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

IiLuSiv wrote:What is the deal with C Sharp and .NET, someone was telling me these were hot.

As far as Java goes, if I get certified, how do I go about getting a job, and what kinda paywage do you think they have. I've heard standard is 45 an hour, which doesn't sound bad at all.
I doubt you'd get $45/hour with just a JAVA certification, hell I doubt most CS students get that much right away.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

Thomas wrote:I doubt you'd get $45/hour with just a JAVA certification, hell I doubt most CS students get that much right away.
I would think 45 in California would be a starting wage. The cost of living is so high out there.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

SuperMegatron wrote:
Thomas wrote:I doubt you'd get $45/hour with just a JAVA certification, hell I doubt most CS students get that much right away.
I would think 45 in California would be a starting wage. The cost of living is so high out there.
That doesn't always matter.

http://www.diversityworking.com/career/ ... loper.html

The majority of those salaries are people with Bachelors in Computer Science/Engineering and the average is barley around $45/hour (when broken down to hourly).

I'm sure you can go far with JAVA stuff, but don't expect to make close to 6 figures with just a certification and not a computer degree along side it.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

Roofus wrote:PHP is for n00bs. 9 out of 10 |-|4><0r5 agree that Ruby on Rails is l33t. Or so Leo Laporte would have us believe.
yeah, PHP is for noobs. I dont know ruby on rails, but i am a Sun Certified Web Component Developper, and if you want to set up any type of serious web app, PHP is gonna make your life hell compared to servlets/JSP in a java based web app.

if you are serious about going the java route, you should look into SCJP (Sun Certified Java Programmer, exam 310-055, which i happen to have :P), that is THE starting point if you want any java certifications
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007