wii availability? (and game recommendations?)

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

wii availability? (and game recommendations?)

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

well, i literally spent the last month "under" a rock, in the himalayas to be exact, so i havent been keeping up

is the wii still impossible to find anywhere? (in europe)

what game do you recommend?

when the wii launched and it became clear i wouldnt see one for the first three months i bought a 360, but im getting kinda impatient
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

I recommend the following wii titles:
elebits
twilight princess (duh)
metal slug anthology (but I was a fan of the franchise, so your opinion may vary)
wii sports (bowling, baseball, and boxing are my favs.)
wario ware smooth moves
sonic and the secret rings (one of the best 3d sonic titles, imo)
wii play
trauma center second opinion (good title, but getting harder to find for some reason)
Excite Truck

I dunno how hard it is to find a wii in europe, but here in the u.s, Its still a daunting task.

Sadly, while I still love the wii I have actually spent more time playing my xbox360. :?
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Everything Smiley said (except perhaps the 360 comment) is pretty much spot-on. The game list may vary slightly depending on your tastes, and there are some very interesting things in the pipeline that haven't come out yet...but that's about right for the moment.

Also, the Himalayas? I hope you brought us back a yeti ;)
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Yeah, we got three systems in on Friday. We had two people waiting for them for at least an hour before they came off the truck. So yeah, around here, they are almost impossible to find.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Excite Truck is fun as hell, but only if you're a fan of racing games that basically assume you do the entire race with your finger held on accelerate and turboing every second you can.
Definite buy if you like your Outrun 2 / F ZEro X / Mario Kart / Burnout style arcade racers.

If you're from the F355 / Forza / F1 / GT / PGR / Yawn school, you'll hate it.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

DaMadFiddler wrote: Also, the Himalayas? I hope you brought us back a yeti ;)
lol, i was only 2000 metres up, so up there its only small trash grabbing monkeys, the yetis are about twice as high up ;)

thanks for all the recommendations, pretty bad to hear its still very hard to get a wii, i was kinda hoping that three months after launch that wouldnt be a problem.

as for excite truck, i might try that, im pretty fond of mario kart and f-zero (although f-zero is a bit tough), but then again, i do love my PGR3 as well

does anyone have CoD3 on the wii? im kind of intruiged by the idea of wii FPS and from what ive read, red steel isnt exactly a good idea
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

I've got CoD3 on Wii. I love the controls but hate the game. I'd wait to see how Medal of Honor turns out.
Dew
Mayks now sents!
Mayks now sents!

Post by Dew »

Today I saw Red Steel in EB for $25 and I almost bought it but someone told me it really isn't even worth that much. He said it should be more like $10. My understanding is it's simply a bad game they tried to save by giving it Wii controls.

I've got Wii Sports, just plain fun and I still start it up here and there.

Twilight Princess is as good if not better than OoT.

Metal Slug Anth which is good if you are a fan of the series. It has 7 or so different control schemes to mess around with, most make the game much harder but it can be kind of amusing.

Super Swing Golf which is basically Albatross18. If you aren't familiar with it then think of hot shots only with anime style characters. The controls are excellent (Much better than Wii Sports Golf) and they still give you the option to play it without the motion control and do it the old button push way.

Wii Play is fun but isn't quite as good as Wii Sports, still you get a remote with it for $50 so basically you are paying $10 for the game.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

It is kinda silly on Nintendo's part that the Wii is so hard to find. I mean even the accessories can be somewhat difficult to find still. It has been over 4 months since launch there is simply no excuse they could not have enough produced now. At least we can all rest assured it won't be long and the Playstation 3 will be readily available (sarcasm).
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Veggita2099 wrote:It is kinda silly on Nintendo's part that the Wii is so hard to find. I mean even the accessories can be somewhat difficult to find still. It has been over 4 months since launch there is simply no excuse they could not have enough produced now.
The fact that Ninty's going full bore on production and simply not able to meet demand isn't silly on their part. It's the best PR they could ask for. The Wii is the fastest-selling system of all time.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Vlad Tepes wrote:I've got CoD3 on Wii. I love the controls but hate the game. I'd wait to see how Medal of Honor turns out.
could you elaborate a bit on why you hate the game itself?

and well yeah, im happy for nintendo that they are selling Wiis like crazy, but its a bit of a pain that three/four months after launch the thing is still impossible to find, mind you i havent looked around here in holland yet since i got back from india
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Well, current figures have the Wii at around 5 million units in 4 months, and the Xbox 360 at 12 million units in 16 months.

By this time in the Xbox 360's life, Microsoft had sold 3 million consoles, and were supply limited. The Wii has sold 5 million, and is also supply limited.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

BlackAura wrote:Well, current figures have the Wii at around 5 million units in 4 months, and the Xbox 360 at 12 million units in 16 months.

By this time in the Xbox 360's life, Microsoft had sold 3 million consoles, and were supply limited. The Wii has sold 5 million, and is also supply limited.
hmm, i wasnt really keeping tabs on the 360 then, so it could be the same i guess

i might have a look on monday to see if i can find a wii though
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

BlackAura wrote:Well, current figures have the Wii at around 5 million units in 4 months, and the Xbox 360 at 12 million units in 16 months.

I wonder what the comparison would be for console failure rate during the first 6 months (Wii versus 360)...
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

super paper mario! i looked into this game on ign and it looks fantastic, and the person writing the hands on preview enjoys it greatly.
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

Twilight Princess
Super Paper Mario (when it comes out)

Those are the only necessary Wii games, IMO. If you really want a Wii, get one now, but if you can live without one I'd wait until there are more games out and the supply is greater.
Tetris: 556-381-350-981
MKDS: 163-282-974-709
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

hmm, i guess i could do for a few more months without a wii, the first game i really want is the new smash bros

ah well, ill have a look if i can find a wii tomorrow, it wont be a real problem if i cant really
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

Disheveled DrFreeze wrote:
Vlad Tepes wrote:I've got CoD3 on Wii. I love the controls but hate the game. I'd wait to see how Medal of Honor turns out.
could you elaborate a bit on why you hate the game itself?
I didn't like the level or mission design. There are numerous parts where it's near impossible to figure out where fire is coming from unless you stand there and get shot while looking for the muzzle flash. Reminds me of the sniper portions of Medal of Honor Allied Assault for PC. There are also a couple of missions where endless soldiers filter through spawn points until you complete certain mission objectives. It's maddening to kill the same guy 15 times over the course of single mission. Another point of annoyance for me, which has been around since CoD2...I hate the health system. Since you regenerate your health by hiding behind cover, you're thrown into situations where you can't avoid getting hit. I don't like having to run straight ahead into enemy gunfire, but due to the way many of the levels are designed...running straight into enemy fire is your only option. Also...while I like the first person controls, the driving controls are pretty broken. As far as I can tell, the nunchuck has no effect on the driving controls...even though the on-screen instructions indicate otherwise. Other motion-sensitive mini games are frustrating for a lot of people, but I didn't have troubles with them. I think most people tend to move the Wii controller too quickly when trying to do the melee gun minigame in the first mission. I'd rent it. I'm glad I played it just to get a feel for the controls, because there is a bit or a learning curve, like with any new control setup. I'm holding tight for the upcoming Medal of Honor. I'm not a big MoH fan, but given the other FPS option on Wii at the moment, I'm trying to keep my hopes up. Frankly...I'm worried we may not see a decent FPS until Metroid Prime 3...

Also...game recommendations...I've been playing the shit out of SSX Blur. Apparently there's been a lot of controversy over the way uber tricks are performed, but from my experience, they're pretty easy...after getting around the initial learning curve.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

I've read mixed reviews on CoD3 for the Wii, some criticizing the graphics and some the control system.

I've got the first two on mac so i'm in two minds weather to get it for Wii or wait for the mac version.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Matisfaction wrote:I've read mixed reviews on CoD3 for the Wii, some criticizing the graphics and some the control system.
From what I've seen, the graphics are inexcusably, sub-PS2 bad.