Fightoon

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by butters »

Juan wrote:
Christuserloeser wrote:That picture shows an early beta of Virtua Fighter 2.
There seems to be no texture mapping in the characters. Glad they changed that. [/offtopic]
I seem to remember VF2 being the first fighting game to implement texture mapping. IIRC it had to do with someone from a 3D modeling or flight sim company seeing VF1 in an arcade and seeing how ugly the untextured polygons were, and that person was nice enough to join the dev team.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

...While we're at it, are there any Dreamcast screenshots / gameplay videos of that 3rd person action game? I don't remember the name offhand, but I think it was an up-port of a PocketPC title....

EDIT: The name of the game is Radium.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

DaMadFiddler wrote:...While we're at it, are there any Dreamcast screenshots / gameplay videos of that 3rd person action game? I don't remember the name offhand, but I think it was an up-port of a PocketPC title....

There are screenshots of the GBA and PocketPC versions of the game at the official website.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Here's the game's logo:

I should have posted it along with the screenshots, but at the time I only had it on paper.

By the way, those smileys should be rotating on the final version.
RMD wrote:
Smiley wrote:even though it is homebrew, I'd still expect more graphics-wise from a dreamcast game.
I kinda have to agree because I think that picture of Virtual fighter 1 looked better and that is about 10 years old now. Anyways does the game have widescreen support?
The mountains in the background will be improved. About the models: The models' faces in Fightoon are fully poligonal, and due to this they can show a high degree and variety of emotions and expressions, with animations more fluent than the ones in the texture-mapped faces in Virtua Fighter 2.

Also, in Fightoon the whole body is a single piece, while in Virtua Fighter 2 the body is made of several separated pieces animated together. They did it that way in Virtua Fighter 2 because it makes animating the characters a lot easier, but for Fightoon I wanted the models to animate as natural as possible, so I personally developed a few techniques to make the parts of the body rotate and bend without abnormally deforming the other parts that are connected to them. For an example, compare the shoulders of the characters in both games. Fightoon's models are technically superior to the ones in Virtua Fighter 2, as well as to the ones in many other DC games.

I'm not sure about widescreen support. The cutscenes will be displayed in a letterbox, and it could look a bit strange in a widescreen TV.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

az_bont wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:...While we're at it, are there any Dreamcast screenshots / gameplay videos of that 3rd person action game? I don't remember the name offhand, but I think it was an up-port of a PocketPC title....

There are screenshots of the GBA and PocketPC versions of the game at the official website.
Yeah, I know that. I just wanted to know what the DC build is going to look like...whether it's a straight port, or they reworked the engine a bit so it would look better on a larger screen.

But to keep from hijacking the topic: good work, Fragger! I'll be keeping my eye on this. I've actually got my DC set up again now that I've got some room in the apartment.

Are you using a custom Makaqu build to drive this? With the right tweaks, the Quake engine seems like a great tool for low-budget, low staff indie projects like this.

Got anything else in the works? ;)
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

Green Ranger wrote:I find nothing wrong with the graphics. It's an art style, and whenever it comes to an art style, opinions will always vary.
I enjoyed the cel-shading look of both windwaker, and yoshi's island, so I am a fan of the look. And while I appreciate that new dreamcast games are stil being made, I just expected more thats all. I'm not saying that graphics are the only thing that matters, as anyone who knows me know that I spend more time playing old school atari games, but at best it looks like a snes game that would have used the fx chip. :lol:
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Smiley wrote:but at best it looks like a snes game that would have used the fx chip. :lol:
Wrong. What you can do with a SNES + SuperFX is basically StarFox (with almost 50 polygons per frame), or Doom (which isn't 3D anyway). This is obviously far more complex than that.

Besides, as far as I know this was basically all built by Fragger.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

And not to mention that unless Smiley can do it himself, he has no place to comment on this. Who cares how it looks. That may be what they're going for, that may be to the best of their abilities. Either way it looks good! :D
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

DaMadFiddler wrote:Are you using a custom Makaqu build to drive this?
Yes.
DaMadFiddler wrote:Got anything else in the works? ;)
No. I'm spending all my free time on this project.
BlackAura wrote:as far as I know this was basically all built by Fragger.
Mostly. All animations and some parts of the models were made by a friend called Rodrigo Cardoso.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Fragger wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:Are you using a custom Makaqu build to drive this?
Yes.
The technical side of this is intriguing to me. Clearly it's been modified for cel shading...are there other general engine enhancements (aside from just the necessary stuff to make it specific to this game), or are you not comfortable discussing your "trade secrets"? ;)

On a more mundane level, I'm assuming the geometry is still drawn in software? What kind of resolution / framerate should we be expecting?
Emperor Bohe
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Emperor Bohe »

That's neither Virtua Fighter 1 or Virtua Fighter 2...

It's Virtua Fighter 10th Anniversary for the PS2.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

No wonder I couldn't find anything on that "VF2 beta"
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Fragger wrote:
BlackAura wrote:as far as I know this was basically all built by Fragger.
Mostly. All animations and some parts of the models were made by a friend called Rodrigo Cardoso.
OK, two people. That's still far fewer than AM2 had.
leileilol
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by leileilol »

Neat. You should GPL the QC game code (not the assets) as a good 'fighting game base' because Ren is always too lazy to do that fighting game engine for me >=(

The 'celshading' isn't impressive though, seeing as it's a low-depth colormap hack
Last edited by leileilol on Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
POOPOO
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Hmm, is it still capped at 255 frames of animation per model? That limit caused me to cut animation from TAoV :\
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

I'll answer all questions as soon as I get some time. I'll see if I can find a way to record a video of it.
leileilol wrote:The 'celshading' isn't impressive though, seeing as it's a low-depth colormap hack
Congratulations for describing 5% of the work done on the whole effect.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
leileilol
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by leileilol »

fraps + fullscreen = video!

oh, and don't be anal. It looks like colormapness to me.
POOPOO
RMD
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RMD »

Skynet wrote:And not to mention that unless Smiley can do it himself, he has no place to comment on this. Who cares how it looks. That may be what they're going for, that may be to the best of their abilities. Either way it looks good! :D
I've always hates this shit. Just because someone cant do it themselves doesn't mean they don't have the right to not liking it. It's like saying "Man I hate Final Fantasy" then someone being like "You cant complain unless you can make something better" One of the more retarded things that people always back on the internet. Just because one person makes something doesnt mean you have to worship it like its awesome. Btw i'm not all all critizing fightoon.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

RMD wrote:
Skynet wrote:And not to mention that unless Smiley can do it himself, he has no place to comment on this. Who cares how it looks. That may be what they're going for, that may be to the best of their abilities. Either way it looks good! :D
I've always hates this shit. Just because someone cant do it themselves doesn't mean they don't have the right to not liking it. It's like saying "Man I hate Final Fantasy" then someone being like "You cant complain unless you can make something better" One of the more retarded things that people always back on the internet. Just because one person makes something doesnt mean you have to worship it like its awesome. Btw i'm not all all critizing fightoon.
I see what you're saying and somewhat agree with you. But it's smiley we're talking about! :lol: What I was really trying to stress is maybe that's the look he's going for? Maybe it's the best he can do? Who knows, do you know what fragger wants or what he's capable of? I don't, so perhaps this is the best we'll see out of it. Just saying why say "zomg that looks shit!" when someone doesn't know the reasoning why it looks the way it looks.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

I like the cel shaded look from previous games and also prefer 2d fighters over most of the modern 3d-ish ones, I just expected more from a dreamcast title. Excuse me for having an opinion that varies from others on this forum.