So I'm getting slammed by Comcast for violation of the DMCA.

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Ominous 0nionfrog
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

So I'm getting slammed by Comcast for violation of the DMCA.

Post by Ominous 0nionfrog »

Recipient Information:
[Private]
[Private]
Greenfield, MA, 01301, USA

Sent via: email
Re: Notice of Claim of Copyright Infringement

Notice of Action under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act

Abuse Incident Number: NA0000002487577
Report Date/Time: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 10:09:27 -0800

[Recipient]

Dear Comcast High-Speed Internet Subscriber:

Comcast has received a notification by a copyright owner, or its authorized agent, reporting an alleged infringement of one or more copyrighted works made on or over Comcast's High-Speed Internet service (the 'Service'). The copyright owner has identified the Internet Protocol ('IP') address associated with your Service account at the time as the source of the infringing works. The works identified by the copyright owner in its notification are listed below. Comcast reminds you that use of the Service (or any part of the Service) in any manner that constitutes an infringement of any copyrighted work is a violation of Comcast's Acceptable Use Policy and may result in the suspension or termination of your Service account.

If you have any questions regarding this notice, you may direct them to Comcast in writing by sending a letter or e-mail to:

Comcast Legal Response Center
Comcast Cable Communications, LLC
650 Centerton Road
Moorestown, NJ 08057 U.S.A.
Phone: (856) 317-7272
Fax: (856) 317-7319
E-mail: dmca@comcast.net

For more information regarding Comcast's copyright infringement policy, procedures, and contact information, please read our Acceptable Use Policy by clicking on the Terms of Service link at http://www.comcast.net.

Sincerely,
Comcast Legal Response Center

Copyright work(s) identified in the notification of claimed infringement:
So I got an email similar to this for downloading Megaman x4, 5 and 6. On bittorrent. Three games which i own. But from what i've read I can't use that is justification for downloading it.

My family is gonna be super pissed at me if we lose our highspeed internet because of this, and comcast is the only company that offers cable internet in our area.

But from what I've read online I cant just tell them that i own the games and I downloaded it in order to make copies for archival purposes. Because I can only legally rip the games from my own discs. So am I screwed, or do any of you see a way out of this?
jaredfogle wrote: Every time you jack off, you kill thousands of "people."
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Stop using public trackers. If your state doesn't have any laws about open wireless connections just say someone got on your wireless connection and did it. Blame the kid next-door. They can't prove anyone one particular person did it because there are no witnesses to prove indefinetly who did it.
Last edited by bizzle on Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

Wireless thing seems the way to go, just say you'll password it and wep, blah blah blah. Then stop using public trackers like Xylene said.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Ominous 0nionfrog
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

problem being, we dont even have a wireless router.. and they might know that...
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Ominous 0nionfrog wrote:problem being, we dont even have a wireless router.. and they might know that...
Well, at least if they try to do something about it other than just disconnecting you, they're going to have a hard time proving if it was you, your siblings, parents or your friend who slept over.

If it comes down to it, get DSL.
Ominous 0nionfrog
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

So i could alternatively say it was someone who came over to my house and used my internet? Unless I'd need to give a specific name.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Nothing is going to stop them from disconnecting your service, but I'm talking about.. like don't worry about going to pound-me-in-the-ass prison over it.
Ominous 0nionfrog
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

We'll thats good... I dont want to end up owing thousands of dollars or going to prison for it.

If there's no way to stop them from disconnecting me, I might as well start looking up who offers DSL in my area. :(
leileilol
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by leileilol »

Hey look at the bright side, at least it's no backstabbing "too much bandwidth" situation you're going through
POOPOO
Ominous 0nionfrog
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Yeah, i guess. I'm just gonna have to start looking at DSL.
Because according to comcast's terms of service, I couldnt have used the wireless excuse anyway.

From what I've been reading online this is more of a warning letter, so as long as i stop downloading anything copyrighted and they dont shut off our internet, I should be fine. As replying to the email would merely incriminate myself.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

An IP address isn't a person, thus they can't actually prove anyone did anything. Hell they may be lying to get a rise from Comcast.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

Use Peer Guardian next time.
leileilol
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by leileilol »

I remember getting blasted for doing illegal activity from Adelphia when getting Call of Duty demo via p2p back in '03

RIAA/MPAA will try anything to sue your unborn child for money.
POOPOO
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

Roofus wrote:Use Peer Guardian next time.
whats peer guardian?
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/

I don't think capcom would care. They put all 3 on the megaman x collection, and even when it came out it was $20. Worst case scenario your service is canceled. I think that letter was just a warning.
Ominous 0nionfrog
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Hopefully its just a warning. As long as i dont get fined rediculously for this, I'll be fine. My parents are freaking out about my ruining their good name, as the account is under them....
I'm just cease gonna downloading anything copyrighted, and gonna ride it out and hope nothing further happens.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

If you own the games, why did you dl them? Backing up PSX games is not hard, pretty much any burning apps that can maked an image will do it.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Xylene wrote:they're going to have a hard time proving if it was you.
Well, as long as he keeps this thread a secret :lol:
ben15dc
a frickin badge
a frickin badge

Post by ben15dc »

i recently got a letter from my isp similar to that, it stated that 20th century fox contacted them because of the movies i was downloading via bit torrent, basically it threatened me to stop downloading or i would lose internet and so on.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Cox disabled my internet without telling me because I downloaded an episode of HBO's Entourage. When I called up to tell them my internet was disabled (not an outage, but disabled, because the connected lights were on, but the power lights were blinking; this happened to me once before; they disabled my access because apparently they thought I had a virus; it was probably that I was using too much bandwidth and they thought I was taken over by a bot or something), they said they didn't know what I meant by 'disabled,' my account was fine, and they would sent out a tech in a week. Finally the day before the tech comes, they call me and say 'oh, why did you request a tech, your internet has been disabled...' :roll:. When I asked what for, they said because HBO caught my downloading Entourage, all I had to do was delete (or tell them I deleted) the episode and it was simply one 'strike' of their 'three strikes' policy. I doubt you're going to be in much trouble.
It's thinking...