Better Way to Watch Videos on DC?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
bryandvc
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Better Way to Watch Videos on DC?

Post by bryandvc »

I'm fairly new to this arena, but I've been fooling around with DCDIVX for a bit and was curious at other ways to tackle video on Dreamcast. Since most of us wind up encoding video specifically for burning for the Dreamcast, wouldn't it be better to produce a computer program that will convert the video to Dreamcast's default video format and then to create a Dreamcast program to play that format?

I believe this has already been done, but from what I gather the DC community seems far more excited about DCDIVX.

What are the reasons for this?
sepa
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by sepa »

dcdivx runs 10x better than the other players, plain and simple.

I didnt really play with the original movie emu, I think it was .sfd files if I remember correctly(Im probably wrong). This is supposed to be the dreamcast's default movie format. But from what I hear, it was horrible to use with anything other than short movie clips(1-2mins tops).

GypPlay was nice, but it had no buffer time which gave it a choppy picture.
Plus you used mpeg-1's, which takes 2 cd's for one 90 min movie.
And for us who likes to download our 100% legal movies :wink:, downloading 700MB files for 90mins of entertainment is NOT attractive in anyway.

With DcDivx, you get a buffer, which gives you a smoother playback; and you're using divx tech. which gives you compressed files, making it possible to fit more than 1 movie on a cd.
Also, the dcdivx is a lot more user friendly than GypPlay(it's actually virtualdub that likes to be the b*tch and give problems).

As far as a simple program to format your movies.
The smartest thing to do is find that "perfect settings" in virtualdub and save it so all you have to do is load that one file before encoding a video.
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Re: Better Way to Watch Videos on DC?

Post by ZacMc »

Since most of us wind up encoding video specifically for burning for the Dreamcast, wouldn't it be better to produce a computer program that will convert the video to Dreamcast's default video format and then to create a Dreamcast program to play that format?
The DC video format is SFD. There no free SFD encoders out there (there is a warez one ripped from the DC devkit) and I don't think there is enough info about SFD to write an encoder..
I believe this has already been done, but from what I gather the DC community seems far more excited about DCDIVX.

What are the reasons for this?
Well with Dc-DivX you can fit 3+hrs of good quality video on one cd, play widescreen movies that look as good as VCDs, plays mp3/ogg audio files the only thing that it is missing is good controlls.
Mr._Chips
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Mr._Chips »

ZaccMc wrote:I don't think there is enough info about SFD to write an encoder..
I remeber hearing that SFD is really just a slightly-altered MPEG-1

p.s. sob!! ...Ireland lost! :(
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

SFD is crap. I used it, and the picture was perfect an whatever, but the filesize makes it worthless... a 30 mins DBGT episode(60 or so MB) came out about 1 gb for me O_O

ps - I wanted Ireland to win that match aswell...
Mr.TA
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Mr.TA »

Gmc wrote:SFD is crap. I used it, and the picture was perfect an whatever, but the filesize makes it worthless... a 30 mins DBGT episode(60 or so MB) came out about 1 gb for me O_O
SFD owns j00! Heh, maybe your not a 1337 H4x0r after all :P
clessoulis
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by clessoulis »

Gmc wrote:SFD is crap. I used it, and the picture was perfect an whatever, but the filesize makes it worthless... a 30 mins DBGT episode(60 or so MB) came out about 1 gb for me O_O

ps - I wanted Ireland to win that match aswell...
WTF where you doing?
DNR the current kickass dc programer. Thanks
for the emulator I've been waiting 2 years for.

Thanks to Reaper2k2 also for showing interest into WSC emulation.

Selfbooting for Noobs
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

I honestly dont know...I deleted the Movie creator thing straight afterwards because I though it wasnt worth it :/

ANYWAY, the SFD thing is illegal anyway, and shouldnt be talked about on these boards ;)
clessoulis
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by clessoulis »

O my god you have illegal stuff. Your a bad person. I think I'll go watch me some Resident Evil now followed by some StarWars Episode 2.
DNR the current kickass dc programer. Thanks
for the emulator I've been waiting 2 years for.

Thanks to Reaper2k2 also for showing interest into WSC emulation.

Selfbooting for Noobs
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

lets face it

Post by reaper2k2 »

ever one here is a warez pupy mupet lol j/k
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

clessoulis wrote:O my god you have illegal stuff. Your a bad person. I think I'll go watch me some Resident Evil now followed by some StarWars Episode 2.
:o
I thought you changed???
Spam and Warez in the same topic is definatly a no-no.
Topic Closed