Breeds of Dogs

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
AuroEdge
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Breeds of Dogs

Post by AuroEdge »

So uhh I want to adopt a dog but I don't know much about them. I've never owned a dog. What's friendly but also fun (I don't want a little dog that isn't intimidating)?
"The only difference between the Democrats and the Republicans is
that the Democrats allow the poor to be corrupt, too." -Oscar Levant
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

a malamute or husky (they look like but different in size), golden retriever. irish setter. they are jusy big babies. a husky looks intimidating, but is just a big baby. same with goldens. they are all great with people and children. huskys and malamutes can be dominant, so if you get one as a puppy, and know people with othe dogs you might want to try to get them to be friends, or otherwise, he or she wont want to easily.

i used a malamute, and a setter, i just got me a golden.

with a husky or malamute, you will need to come off as a leader to them pretty much or they will not listen to you, they are free spirits.
Last edited by gamedudex2 on Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Don't get a dog if you know nothing about them.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Beagle.

...assuming you have the time to teach it to crap and piss outside... they are a bit stubborn.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

I like my black lab a lot (he is really weel behvaed and does'nt shit/piss in the house). My first dog I got when I wasa child was a Briard they are really good dogs.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

i'm a sucker for the labs, but thats mostly because my childhood dog was a chocolate lab. i'm really the wrong person to ask because i love pretty much all dogs. i suggest going to the animal shelter and seeing what puppies they have. you don't want a full grown dog because you can't potty train them. also mutts tend to be healthier than a pure breed so they will generally live longer/have less health problems.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

Can you afford a dog? Food for a big dog will run 10 a week at least. You have the 10-20 dollar a month flea and tick treatments, the heart worm pills, the shots, and the check ups.

What ever you get I would suggest it be a female. Male dogs will fight if a female in heat comes around.
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

Don't get a Jack Russel. They are little dogs that like to pretend they are the size of dobermans.

I'd go with a pit bull mix. Their reputation precedes them, but they are actually really calm, gentle dogs.
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

Egotistical EvilN wrote:Don't get a Jack Russel. They are little dogs that like to pretend they are the size of dobermans.

I'd go with a pit bull mix. Their reputation precedes them, but they are actually really calm, gentle dogs.
depends where he lives, someplaces have pitbull bans
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

I love my husky, but sometimes I wish I had a cat instead. This dog is crazier than me! :P
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I've had 3 German Shepards during my lifetime and a German Shepard cross, 1 of which had puppies so I could count all those puppies as being mine too, although we gave them away. So really I've had about 10. I love these dogs, they get pretty big and can be very intimidating though, especially when pissed off. But I've never had a problem with any of mine. They were fun dogs and I would love to get another one some time.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

listen to bob barker.
AuroEdge
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by AuroEdge »

SuperMegatron wrote:Can you afford a dog? Food for a big dog will run 10 a week at least. You have the 10-20 dollar a month flea and tick treatments, the heart worm pills, the shots, and the check ups.

What ever you get I would suggest it be a female. Male dogs will fight if a female in heat comes around.
Money isn't a problem. I've owned cats all my life so I've got the basics down... shots, neuter/spay, flea & tick medicine, yearly checkups, Iams. Are male dogs still aggressive even if they're clipped?
gamedudex2 wrote:
Egotistical EvilN wrote:Don't get a Jack Russel. They are little dogs that like to pretend they are the size of dobermans.

depends where he lives, someplaces have pitbull bans
I don't know if there is a ban here. I've seen people walking pitbulls around the housing areas on the bases but I don't know about on Japanese territory. I'm not really too picky about breeds I just wanted an idea from people that know. I used to volunteer at the shelter back home and have always wanted a dog since then.
"The only difference between the Democrats and the Republicans is
that the Democrats allow the poor to be corrupt, too." -Oscar Levant
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

Stormwatch wrote:I love my husky, but sometimes I wish I had a cat instead. This dog is crazier than me! :P
lol, how big is he? my malamute was about 200 pounds.

my current dog is a golden mix, hes about 75 pounds
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

Skynet wrote:I've had 3 German Shepards during my lifetime and a German Shepard cross, 1 of which had puppies so I could count all those puppies as being mine too, although we gave them away. So really I've had about 10. I love these dogs, they get pretty big and can be very intimidating though, especially when pissed off. But I've never had a problem with any of mine. They were fun dogs and I would love to get another one some time.

Here's another vote for a German Shepard, if you can find a good one. They have lots of inbreeding problems and genetic problems these days...
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

Xylene wrote:Don't get a dog if you know nothing about them.
They make a fine soup.
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Post by AgentGreen »

Akitas are pretty good dogs. The only real problem with them is they have to be socialized with other people and dogs from a very young age or else they get terretorial and possessive.
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

Chalk up another vote for german shepard. I love these dogs. They are smart, good workers, good guard dogs, intimidating to look at, but usually very sweet too. This is my beast:

She is the offspring of a award winning police dog father, and a german import mother. Worth a few thousand dollars. I got her free since it was my father in law that payed the stud fee to get his dog knocked up by the police dog. She is driven as hell, she needs to have a job to do at all times. So playful, yet really intimidating if she doesnt know you. A good german shepard is hard to beat, but watch out for the retarded in bred ones. They are nutty as hell and barely trainable.
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

If you're going for a dog, I think it's bullshit to pay for a puppy. There are 6-8 million dogs and cats that enter shelters every year, and half of them are euthanized. Go to a shelter. They check their dogs for stability and whatnot, and the cost you pay for them is for their shots and for spaying/neutering.

I've had 3 Australian shepherds. They are a very good dog for teaching tricks, and have a pretty mild temperament.

I'd also recommend being wary of chows. I like them, but they are best compared to house cats, with very sharp teeth.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

Egotistical EvilN wrote:If you're going for a dog, I think it's bullshit to pay for a puppy. There are 6-8 million dogs and cats that enter shelters every year, and half of them are euthanized. Go to a shelter. They check their dogs for stability and whatnot, and the cost you pay for them is for their shots and for spaying/neutering.

I've had 3 Australian shepherds. They are a very good dog for teaching tricks, and have a pretty mild temperament.

I'd also recommend being wary of chows. I like them, but they are best compared to house cats, with very sharp teeth.
i second the getting a dog at a shelter thing. (i think i said it first) however don't get an adult dog. despite what people there will say it will not be trained, and you won't be able to train it. you can't teach an old dog new tricks. its a cliche because its true.