Cheapest pci-e gfx card?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Post by Quzar »

http://www.pcpartsohio.com/BookDetail.aspx?item_id=623&

35$ Don't know about uk shipping though.

Also, I found one cheaper, but it only had 16mb onboard memory (and automatically steals 128mb from system memory) and it's only like 5$ cheaper.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Veggita2099 »

ID would guess the best Value would be one of those lower end Geforce cards.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

i think the absolute cheapest would be a radeon x300se card, those things dont cost jack anything anymore

if performance isnt an issue, get one of those (or a geforce 6200 TC if you prefer nvidia), if you want budget performance, geforce 7300GT is your friend
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

I would like a Radeon 128 or 256 MB card but they still want like $50 for them. I think outdated cards should be no more then $20 IMO because if something is out more powerful then the current card,why would should you have to pay a good amount for it?
Have you played dreamcast today?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Dreamcast4life wrote:I would like a Radeon 128 or 256 MB card but they still want like $50 for them. I think outdated cards should be no more then $20 IMO because if something is out more powerful then the current card,why would should you have to pay a good amount for it?
Agreed, and why doesn't this also apply to other industries? Why am I not paying $10 for budget cars when there are Lamborghinis out there?
It's thinking...
leileilol
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by leileilol »

remember

STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM THE FX SERIES (5200-5950) REDUBBED "PCX"
POOPOO
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

|darc| wrote:
Dreamcast4life wrote:I would like a Radeon 128 or 256 MB card but they still want like $50 for them. I think outdated cards should be no more then $20 IMO because if something is out more powerful then the current card,why would should you have to pay a good amount for it?
Agreed, and why doesn't this also apply to other industries? Why am I not paying $10 for budget cars when there are Lamborghinis out there?
Cars don't cost $10. Lamborghinis don't cost $500.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

CheapAlert wrote:remember

STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM THE FX SERIES (5200-5950) REDUBBED "PCX"
Having a FX5900XT I would dispute that & defend them but as I said I have a FX5900XT, god I wish I could afford somethin better
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
leileilol
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by leileilol »

Hawq wrote:god I wish I could afford somethin better
Geforce3/4ti's way better
POOPOO
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

ace wrote:
|darc| wrote:
Cars don't cost $10. Lamborghinis don't cost $500.
Indeed. There's also the issue that while genuine economy cars are available (at least in some countries), even the cheapest modern GPUs are severe overkill for so-called "productivity" apps. Even the in-chipset ones that are useless by gamer/enthusiast standards have a lot of useless functionality by office standards. In fact, some of the newer chipsets are worse for 2D work than older ones, as ATI/NVidia are starting to get rid of their 2D-specific silicon in newer products. I suspect the issue is simply that no GPU manufacturer wants to deal with the thin margins that would be associated with a minimalist product. ATI's multihead-oriented FireMV family is actually based on the Mobility Radeon 9000, but they price it at a premium because they're targeting it "exclusively for the financial and corporate marketplaces"...
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

CheapAlert wrote:
if you are saying a GF4Ti is better then a 5900XT, im sorry, but you are dead wrong, the problem with the FX range is the Dx9 support, as in, its crap, but it easily beats the previous generations in Dx8. The 9 series radeons whooped the Fx series in Dx9, but in Dx8, they were quite evenly matched

Hawq, as for the PCX Fx cards, they were bridged very inefficiently, so a pci-e 5900 performs a lot worse then a AGP card, they were merely Nvidias first attempt at pci-e
leileilol
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by leileilol »

erm, even a geforce2gts whoops the fx in performance even at old games.

It's strange getting only 20fps in Alice on a card released 3 years after the original game!
POOPOO
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

Disheveled DrFreeze wrote:
CheapAlert wrote:
if you are saying a GF4Ti is better then a 5900XT, im sorry, but you are dead wrong, the problem with the FX range is the Dx9 support, as in, its crap, but it easily beats the previous generations in Dx8. The 9 series radeons whooped the Fx series in Dx9, but in Dx8, they were quite evenly matched

Hawq, as for the PCX Fx cards, they were bridged very inefficiently, so a pci-e 5900 performs a lot worse then a AGP card, they were merely Nvidias first attempt at pci-e
As mines an agp model it seems I got the better end of the sh*te covered stick then, not much of a comfort really
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
leileilol
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by leileilol »

That's because nvidia requested them to use certain hacked 16bit precision drivers to cheat their numbers higher, remember?
POOPOO
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

seriously cheapalert, saying a GF2GTS would own a Fx just screams ignorance, the only possible situation this would even get close to happening would be in HL2, with the FX running the dx9 codepath and the GF2 on the dx7 codepath, which is not an honest comparison

there is just no way a 2 pipeline Dx7 card with 128bit ram would be able to beat even a fx5600, never even mind a 5700, 5800 or 5900 (56 and 57 are 4 pipe, with twice the clock of a GF2, 58 and 59 are 8 pipe 256 bit cards)