PCECast WIP released

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

PCECast WIP released

Post by Juan »

LTK has posted at DCiberia the current status of his PC Engine emulator, and he says that hopefully it'll "get somewhere" in a short (or not so long) term.
[url=http://foros.dciberia.net/viewtopic.php?p=229#229]LTK @ DCiberia forums[/url] (partially translated) wrote:Status:
- Loads games in *.pce format
- Good sound
- Medium speed, but playable
- I still haven't got the chance to try the game isos in cdrom, I get an error from dctool (program to load things on Dreamcast); maybe burning a CD wouldn't give that error, but I still expect to fix it. The PC compilation loads, I've tried Dracula X and it works.
- Rtype II looks good, it uses a different resolution; on previous tests it gave me trouble.

What's next:
- Testing isos
- Adding a GUI to make testing easier
- Trying more games
- Speed
- ... blah blah blah
A couple of really short youtube vids to check it out: PC Kid and R-Type II
Last edited by Juan on Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dutchdude
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Dutchdude »

It looks very playable indeed :)
This would be a sweet christmas present :super:
RMD
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RMD »

Awesome, awesome work.
q_006
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by q_006 »

Wonderful! I was just gonna make a request for such a thing. Hopefully this will be my Xmas present. :D
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

LTK just released a WIP version, here's some of his insight straight off the readme file:
PCECast's readme wrote:Intro-------------------------------------------------------------
PCECast is an Pc Engine emulator. Games in PCE and ISO+WAV format could be played.

Suport------------------------------------------------------------
- Games in PCE, ISO, HCD, TOC, NEC (*read more) are playable
- Cd-Rom Games are suported as ISO+WAV (HCD, TOC, NEC)
- Sound & CD Sound
- Zip PCE game files
- Analog pad movement
- Savestate with mini-screenshot
- Pad 6 buttons
- FPS counter

THIS Version------------------------------------------------------
Speed is good but not perfect, sometimes the emu could slow down for a while, for this reason I recomend disabling CD audio.
you can get more speed disabling sound, but you can only do it one time for running emu and after loading any game.

Many option in Gui are disabled or unoperative, as soon as I had more time this would be solved.
Download here and check the readme for further info on how to burn it with isos.

Source: DCIberia forums
Green Ranger
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Green Ranger »

Excellent news Juan, downloading this now!! :kiss)
Go Go Power Rangers!!!
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I am curious to hear how this stacks up to Quzar's last release, both in terms of speed and in compatibility (though...to be honest, all I'll probably use it for are Bonk, Soldier Blade, and Dracula X). Anyone compared notes yet?
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

DaMadFiddler wrote:I am curious to hear how this stacks up to Quzar's last release, both in terms of speed and in compatibility (though...to be honest, all I'll probably use it for are Bonk, Soldier Blade, and Dracula X). Anyone compared notes yet?
to be honest I think Bonk runs great however I haven't tried dracula X. Soldier blade, without sound it runs well but that game has a great sound track so that kills the point. Overall though this is the BEST Tg16 emulator out on DC right now, it runs very,very playable (I can play a Really playable SPLATTERHOUSE on my DC woot!) the sound in games is slow but tolerable.

last thing I want to point out is if it can be sped up a notch, I'd be completely happy. However the way it is now,HELL YEAH WELL DONE!!!!
Have you played dreamcast today?
RMD
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RMD »

It's hands down better than quzar's emulator.
johnson
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by johnson »

I can't seem to get this to work....I throw the 1st_read and ip.bin in the root and I create a roms folder and put my roms in it...I use Susa's Selfboot to create the DJ image and when I put the disc in my DC it stays at the IP screen. Can anyone tell me why this isn't working properly?
johnson
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by johnson »

Never mind...the bin wasn't scrambled...

got it going...pretty good, and better than Quzar's release.
retroman9999
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

PCECast WIP

Post by retroman9999 »

Just tried it out..........nice work, by far the best T16 EMU fo the old Dreamcast. Thanks for this great EMU!
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

I beat Afterburner II and Bonk yesterday on this emulator. My only gripe I have is more of the slow sound but other then that I am really happy with this release.
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

So, is there no chance of this emulator playing original Turbo CD discs? I remember Quzar saying that it was something he had a lot of trouble with in HuCast as well. He said it it was some osrt of file system thing, but I didn't think Turbo CD games use any kind of special file system.

A playable TurboGrafx emulator is a great thing to finally have on the Dreamcast after all these years and all thanks for LTK for finally doing it, but being able to play the original games like we can with the Neo Geo CD emulators would be the real nazz.

...word is bondage...
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

well if the speed of the sound is kicked up and speed kicked up a couple more notches then PCEcast will take over my VC wants. I really want a playable version of soldier blade. I CAN"T FIND A FUCKER WII POINT CARD!!!!! I don't have a checking account so that does me no good. *cries*
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

For those who missed it: I've uploaded an SBI for PCECast to DCHelp:

http://www.dchelp.net/sbi/files/Emus/PC ... 012007.sbi

I also made a PCECast entry to the Dreamcast-Scene.com WIKI:

http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/index.php/Main/PCECast

(If you want to add any info to that article, just click on "edit this page" on the right menu.)
Insane homebrew collector.