System warranties

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

System warranties

Post by Luriden »

Do you all fork out the extra dough for a warranty when you buy a system, or do you just take the risk? I didn't get one for my Xbox 360 and I'm wondering if I should, since the thing heats up so bad (I burned my hand when taking GoW out after 3-4 hours of playing). $60 just seems like quite just to protect you for 2 years, especially when I take good care of my systems, but I'm wondering if the deal here is different since the 360 has heating issues anyway.

And if I do decide to buy a warranty (I think I have a few more weeks to decide), should I take my receipt to Best Buy and buy a warranty there or get one directly with Microsoft?
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I would've gotten the warranty had I known that my 360 was gonna cook itself, like it did. I was unable to take it back to the store as 30days had past, I did send it away to get repaired and it was repaired for free, but knowing that it's died in the past I would like to be covered for 2 more years. :?
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I have never done that. Thus far (knock on wood) I have not had a game system tear up on me. IMO if the system lasts 1 year it probably will last 3. My ps2 still runs and it was bought back during the year they came out.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
SlammedNiss
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by SlammedNiss »

Veggita2099 wrote:I have never done that. Thus far (knock on wood) I have not had a game system tear up on me. IMO if the system lasts 1 year it probably will last 3. My ps2 still runs and it was bought back during the year they came out.
Yeah, I just don't believe in "Extended Warranties" anymore. I actually found the receipt for my 32" Trinitron from almost 10 years ago this last week. The TV itself was $799, and I made the mistake of letting them talk me into another $100 for the extended service plan. Needless to say, I still watch that damn TV everyday, and have never had a problem.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

I don't bother with warrenties. If my 360 dies it will either end up as parts for someone else, parts for myself, or fixed.

Both of my modded XBoxes were brought back from varying states of death. One had a dead PSU that then FRAG'd when booted. A chip fixed it. The other had a busted Sammy drive which still needs to be replaced, but at least I can play games on it.

My various PS2s are mostly parts as they don't do all that I need, but my latest v4 just needs a new laser for DVDs. HDLoader provides game play despite the flaw.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

The next generation Xbox will come out before your warranty is up.
firewire1394
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Re: System warranties

Post by firewire1394 »

Freaky Keneaki wrote:Do you all fork out the extra dough for a warranty when you buy a system, or do you just take the risk?
I've never had to deal with buying "extra warranty" as the systems i buy have it or are used.
Only one of my systems has ever died on me but it HAS a lifetime warranty and ninty fixed it free :D

but for me, if a 360 is on the cards from what i've heard i Will be paying extra :lol: ... even though i believe if you buy something it should work properly ANYWAY.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

kenichi it sounds like your 360 might be a tiny bit deffective if its burning your hand taking a disc out.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

There was a time my parents bought the extended warranty on a PC. When we got our first computer it was a Tandy Sensation. This was back in 1993 and it was a top of the line 486 33SX with 4 megs of ram and a blazing 2400bps modem. Anyways it did pay off on that PC. None of us at the time knew anything about PC's at that time and it was in the shop more then in our house. Finally after fighting with it for about a year they gave us a whole new computer. It was a pentium PC with pretty much bigger and better everything.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

For systems, I have bought warranties on cheap used systems before. I paid like $5 for a GameCube warranty and $3 for a Dreamcast warranty. Any new systems, I have never bought them, and probably never will.

PCs I have got warranties with. I think they are often a decent investment for a laptop, for instance. I got two years of full coverage on my laptop with drop protection. It was about $200, which isn't terrible considering the initial price point of the laptop. I did have to have the AC adapter replaced, which is valued at around $50 (it worked, but something with the voltage or something was wrong and it screwed up video output).

My Dell PC also had a very long warranty which was fairly expensive. I wouldn't have gotten as extravagant as the one I did, but it was on sale and at the time TWO of my PCs broke within 1 month, so I was feeling paranoid. I did have some sort of serious problem with the thing though, and they replaced most of the internals (PSU, mobo, processor and RAM). As it turns out, the new processor was a 1.7 ghz instead of a 1.5, so I also got a free upgrade out of it. Not too bad.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I bought a warranty on my Wii. I think that's the only console warranty I ever bought. I wish I had one for my PSP, though.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

I did use the replacement plan on my PS2. I bought the PS2 used from a friend, along with the Best Buy PSP. When I tried to play blue CD games, it crapped out so I replaced it. I think it was one of those early models that had production problems.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

I've only bought a warranty several years ago on a used $50 gamecube, that works fine now after a laser replacement. When I first bought it, the console would make loud clicking noises in the middle of games and then give me a dre. The gamestop I bought it from said that it wasn't covered, so I ended up fixing it myself and it now works like new.

Generally speaking, with nintendo consoles I wouldn't bother buying a warranty. Most of their consoles are built well.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

I buy the extended warranty for pretty much everything i own. After having such luck with my one on my laptop, i just don't trust electronic stuff. plus, i end up taking my crap apart and breaking it. so I've become really good at making it look like it was never opened.

on consoles however, if i bought my 360 new, i would have definitely gotten the warranty with it. I did get one with the Wii though. Because it's completely new tech that has never really been tested before, i figured I'd spend the extra just in case.
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Re: System warranties

Post by abydos1000 »

Freaky Keneaki wrote:Do you all fork out the extra dough for a warranty when you buy a system, or do you just take the risk? I didn't get one for my Xbox 360 and I'm wondering if I should, since the thing heats up so bad (I burned my hand when taking GoW out after 3-4 hours of playing). $60 just seems like quite just to protect you for 2 years, especially when I take good care of my systems, but I'm wondering if the deal here is different since the 360 has heating issues anyway.

And if I do decide to buy a warranty (I think I have a few more weeks to decide), should I take my receipt to Best Buy and buy a warranty there or get one directly with Microsoft?
This is my take on extended warrenties. If I buy one, the thing lasts at least five years or more. Heck, I have a launch PS2 and it still works fine. If I don't by the warrenty, it falls apart about a month after the limited warrenty ends. Also, since you spent more than $400 of your hard earned money, you might as well get the extended warrenty.

btw, I don't think your discs should be getting so hot. This sounds like the heating problems the earlier builds had. When was your 360 built? It should say in the back. Since you just bought it, it should be sometime in the second half of 2006. Also, does it have adequate ventilation, and is it resting on a hard surface?
Komid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Komid »

Skynet wrote:I would've gotten the warranty had I known that my 360 was gonna cook itself, like it did. I was unable to take it back to the store as 30days had past, I did send it away to get repaired and it was repaired for free, but knowing that it's died in the past I would like to be covered for 2 more years. :?

I had problems with my 360 too, I kept getting 1 red light on the bottom right hand side of the power indicater. This is the 3rd and final Xbox product that has been a total piece. Sucks cause I really liked the 360, I spent about 150 hours total on Oblivion and I really wanted gears of war. :evil:
Bertrude
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bertrude »

I've never bothered with extended warranties and I don't think I will as it just seems like handing over easy money to the store at the time. I just hope things will last. We shouldn't be buying products with 1 year life spans so I hope and trust that they've not been engineered that way.

Ironically, the only time I have ever bought extended cover I used it a lot on a CD Hi-Fi. Although all that happened is that over the 3 years, the store just kept on repairing it when the CD lens failed. This ended up going on until the warranty expired and as a result I've not bought anything by that brand again.

As for my 360 (July 06 model), the discs can come out warm, but nowhere near to burning my hand. I just try to keep it well ventilated. If it dies prematurely then I'll just have to learn and vote with my wallet by not getting anything else made by microsoft.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Bertrude wrote:I've never bothered with extended warranties and I don't think I will as it just seems like handing over easy money to the store at the time.
Everything I've heard suggests that the stores think of it exactly like that as well. )()(
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

I never get them. If its gonna break it'll prolly break within a month of me thrashing it ( i have a tendancy to break stuff ) so I just return it.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Komid wrote:
Skynet wrote:I would've gotten the warranty had I known that my 360 was gonna cook itself, like it did. I was unable to take it back to the store as 30days had past, I did send it away to get repaired and it was repaired for free, but knowing that it's died in the past I would like to be covered for 2 more years. :?

I had problems with my 360 too, I kept getting 1 red light on the bottom right hand side of the power indicater. This is the 3rd and final Xbox product that has been a total piece. Sucks cause I really liked the 360, I spent about 150 hours total on Oblivion and I really wanted gears of war. :evil:
Thing is though I was getting nothing to indicate there was actually anything wrong with the 360. No flashing weird coloured LEDs or anything like that. Everything was as normal except for the lack of audio/video. I even bought a 2nd set of cables to make sure they weren't the problem. :?
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800