Sega Plans to Stop GD-ROM Production 02/2007

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Sweater Fish »

APE wrote:No I'm not forced to, and they are a quick buck. The game is already made for the NAOMI platform. The main dev work is done. I'm sure there has to be some work done to get it to run in less ram and change out some functions such as DC controllers and removing the code for the coin mechanism. Of course this is over simplification but I highly doubt the dev costs are anywhere near 1/16 of the original NAOMI dev work.
You seem to have no idea how these companies operate. They simply couldn't stay in business solely on the money their games bring in on the NAOMI. They need the Dreamcast release in order to stay afloat and fund their next game. The arcade releases don't usually make enough money to fund another entire development cycle, but they do make enough to fund a port and Dreamcast release, which in turn generates interest for releases on other platforms which will make enough to fund the next game. It's a hell of a lot more complicated than you seem to think. These are tiny tiny companies working on razor thin margins. There is no "extra money" or "quick bucks" involved in the way they do business. Milestone and G.Rev are like the Cryptic Allusion and Senile Team of Japan, there's very little difference aside from the access they have to Sega and publishers with more resources than the GOAT Store.
SinisterTengu wrote:APE is always extreme in his views on pricing (not that many people actually have to decide between getting a game OR 3 tanks of gas, they can afford both...$60 bucks doesn't even buy two tanks for me anyways). But he does have a point, $60 is WAY too much for an arcade game. Arcade games hardly ever have more than 3 hours of gameplay because they are meant to be able to beat while at an arcade.
A shooter has way, way more than three hours of gameplay. A good shooter has more gameplay in it than whatever the 100+ hour RPG flavor-of-the-minute is these days. The best shooters have truly infinite gameplay value. You don't seem to understand how shooters are played or why people play them at all. You don't simply play the game until you beat the last boss, then put it back on the shelf and check it off your list like you do with an RPG or other story/mission driven game. The point of the gameplay in a shooter--or most any arcade game for that matter--is to develop your skill, timing and grace, not to beat the bosses. Beating bosses or even getting high scores is a side issue, you play a shooter to improve on how you did the last time you played it, so the game will last literally forever since you can always do better in some way or another.

...word is bondage...
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

butters wrote:So where is a source on this anyway? If there's no source, just rumors, it's not news. Even if it was just "an anonymous source at Sega said..." it would be better than some random speculative newspost. (c) 2007 Juan
Yeah, I expect some sort of source for any news I see, whether it has to do with video gaming or politics or anything else. If there's no source, I have no choice but to assume that the news is false.

...word is bondage...
kingbuzzo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by kingbuzzo »

Well Sweater Fish hit the nail on the head. I must say I admire your 'boldness'(?) in attempting to describe something so remote and difficult to comprehend to those who have yet to be involved enough to understand. I sure as hell wasn't going to bother with that, but you explained it quite well I must say.

I'll never forget that french documentary on shmups where they visited each devhouse and seeing that their offices looked like messy broom closets with cheap cup noodles everwhere. Of course a large office doesn't come by to often in tokyo. And I've always known it, but it's just something else to see that these companies are at times literally a couple guys in a messy basement office with devkits and lot of heart. Heck, triangle service is just one guy! I don't even think he has an office.
kingbuzzo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by kingbuzzo »

ok, I just got off the horn with max and finally know what's going on.

for anyone who cares here, I'll repost what I said at dcs.
This is a bit difficult because staff at dcs cannot release the actual source of this info.

What we can say is that Max of DCS has some personal contacts with some "important" folks when it comes to gdroms. There may of one time been a large surplus of gdroms, but apparently production only happens when I game is to be released. This also isn't the first time sega was about to cease production. It was only after the plea of select dev teams (which we also don't have permission to mention yet) that gdrom production kept on going.

there have been some talk about dc and even naomi being able to use regular cd's instead. Though this is surely possible; Sega has made it clear to developers that they will not have anything besides their own patented format for licensed releases.

We will try to bring as much info as we can after some more conversations with our sources, but it seems to be a very delicate situation. Given how short of time we are; we just went straight ahead with the petition. Please understand.

thank you very much,

King.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

If there's no source, it's just speculation. Also, do you actually expect an online petition to work? Unless you can get the signature of millions, it will just end up in a trash can.
kingbuzzo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by kingbuzzo »

I'm not going to try to convince you into signing this. whether it's my own speculation is simply up to you and if you think I'm lying or not, choose whatever you want. If you don't care then fine, enjoy the rest of your day. If you do, you might as well have your voice heard. If others collectively want their voices heard, then might as well be somewhat organized about it. So a paper petition, was selected as the course of action.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Hm. Who wants to support this petition should do that. I would prefer a petition for certain games (like Dynamite Deka Ex or Jingi Storm) over a general GD-ROM petition.
Insane homebrew collector.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I am unable to visit dcs... is the site currently down or something...
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Since days I think :|
Insane homebrew collector.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Loads fine for me.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Yeah, it's back up.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube