Timbaland/Nelly Furtado steal demoscene track

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Timbaland/Nelly Furtado steal demoscene track

Post by |darc| »

I saw this on Slashdot earlier, and at first I was skeptical (like some pro musician would care about demoscene stuff..) but after seeing more, I can definitely say this is a ripoff. The song did win first place at a demoscene convention, so that does explain how it was known...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showth ... id=2274635

The Nelly Furtado song...
mp3 clip - http://www.limpninja.com/acidjazz/furtado_doit.mp3
full song - http://youtube.com/watch?v=8N4ovp90Ea0

The demoscene track...
mp3 - http://www.limpninja.com/acidjazz/tempest_acidjazz.mp3
original MOD file: http://www.scene.org/file.php?file=/par ... p&fileinfo

Comparison:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4KX7SkDe4Q&NR
It's thinking...
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Luriden »

Wtf is demoscene?

Edit: Nvm, just Googled it. No wonder the song sounds like a C64 song, because it is. :lol:
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Freaky Keneaki wrote:Wtf is demoscene?

Edit: Nvm, just Googled it. No wonder the song sounds like a C64 song, because it is. :lol:
I linked to the demoscene article on Wikipedia. :P
It's thinking...
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Ripoff indeed. No idea who that Timbaland is, but he ain't a "pro musician" :evil:
RMD
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RMD »

The difference is his isnt ruined by her singing horriably over it. However can't they just sue him and get tons of money anyways? Or was the sampling payed for in the first place?
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

RMD wrote:The difference is his isnt ruined by her singing horriably over it. However can't they just sue him and get tons of money anyways? Or was the sampling payed for in the first place?
It was never paid for, that is why this has been posted on a lot of sites. If it was paid for, no one would care that is was sampled as the original artist would be getting compensated for it.
deemoney
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by deemoney »

Nelly furtado is hot. you guys are just haters.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

I thought you were talking about Timbalada =P.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Juan wrote:Ripoff indeed. No idea who that Timbaland is, but he ain't a "pro musician" :evil:
He's a producer.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

ace wrote:
Juan wrote:Ripoff indeed. No idea who that Timbaland is, but he ain't a "pro musician" :evil:
He's a producer.
He used to rap too, didn't he? I could have sworn he put out some songs a few years ago.
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

Yeah but his rapping isn't the hottest. Especially live it's terrible.

He used to be a really good producer, but it seems lately everythings been trashy pop music.
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
RMD
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RMD »

I went and thought about all the hot songs he's produced and after this Im sitting here questioning where he might of stoled those from. Its like everything he's done is tarnished by making one mistake. He needs to come out with a statement saying he forgot to give credit where credit was due and then give a nice payoff.
VB_User
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by VB_User »

To whoever said that they dont know who timberland is and that hes not a pro musician. Got to tell you thats a very very ignorant statement. Timberland is one of the top music producers in the industry today. Ill tell you right now he is a professional musician and is a very good one to. Yes this was obviously taken from something and the sample was not cleared but this sort of thing happens all the time. This in no way means the man is not talented. Sorry for the rant but that comment just kinda pissed me off.

Anyways thats my 2 cents
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

VB_User wrote:To whoever said that they dont know who timberland is and that hes not a pro musician. Got to tell you thats a very very ignorant statement. Timberland is one of the top music producers in the industry today. Ill tell you right now he is a professional musician and is a very good one to. Yes this was obviously taken from something and the sample was not cleared but this sort of thing happens all the time. This in no way means the man is not talented. Sorry for the rant but that comment just kinda pissed me off.

Anyways thats my 2 cents
No matter who you are or how good you perceive yourself to be, you've got to give credit where credit is due (and in his case royalties where royalties are due), or things will blow up in your face.
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

It was not just some small sample. Pretty much the whole song is a straight rip-off!
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

That really is amazing. (As in "It's amazing to me that he gets paid to download tracks off the internet, put a beat over it, call it his own work and then get paid piles of money for it.") Isn't the track in the public domain though? I only have minimal experience with demoscene stuff, but the stuff I have seen/heard was always freely available.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

Roofus wrote:That really is amazing. (As in "It's amazing to me that he gets paid to download tracks off the internet, put a beat over it, call it his own work and then get paid piles of money for it.") Isn't the track in the public domain though? I only have minimal experience with demoscene stuff, but the stuff I have seen/heard was always freely available.
Unless you explicitly release your work from copyright, you retain your rights to it. Especially in this case, where they are making commercial derivative works. I don't see a license of any type, so it's no different that someone making a picture available on the internet. If that picture appeared in an art gallery under someone else's name, the creator could sue.
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

Bowser wrote:Nelly furtado is hot. you guys are just haters.
Christ she is hot.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Roofus wrote:That really is amazing. (As in "It's amazing to me that he gets paid to download tracks off the internet, put a beat over it, call it his own work and then get paid piles of money for it.") Isn't the track in the public domain though? I only have minimal experience with demoscene stuff, but the stuff I have seen/heard was always freely available.
My limited understanding is that in general demoscene tracks are (by convention) free to distribute, but appropriating someone else's work without credit - i.e. plagiarism - is considered to be a very serious moral offense. I can't recall the site now, but one large archive of tracker music had a "hall of shame" sort of page listing artists/tracks that had ripped tracker patterns from other songs.

edit: here it is
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

arrowhead wrote:
Bowser wrote:Nelly furtado is hot. you guys are just haters.
Christ she is hot.
Remember that song she did with J5?
Where's toastman? I'm bored.