DCPlaya

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
skroooagh
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DCPlaya

Post by skroooagh »

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster! This is a cool community and it's great to see just how much people can get from their Dreamcast when they try.

I downloaded and successfully burned a copy of DCPlaya about two months ago and I have to say, it's great! You might wanna change the description at the downloads page because it does much more than I expected it to, plus, if you state things blatantly then n00bs like me will be more inclined to download. For instance, it plays .flv files ripped from Yuutube/Google Video/etc more or less perfectly, which is a definite plus. It also plays VBR mp3s and .wma files, both of which I was expecting it not to play, so it was a relief when it did as most of my music is either in VBR mp3 or wma format.

How easy would it be for a total n00b like me to develop plug-ins for DCPlaya? I play guitar so I'd like to be able to have a bunch of instructional videos/mp3s on a cd along with tab/sheet music and whatever else. This would probably mean support for .pdf, .rtf and .doc files, as well as an upgraded image viewer, one that could allow me to zoom/rotate images. I see some of this stuff can already be done on DC so I imagine it shouldn't be too difficult for me to achieve?

Also, one other thing, it always asks me to create a save file on startup but this file never seems to actually save. Any ideas as to why thi might be?

Once again, cool site and nice work!
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Welcome to the site :).

Unfortunately, the DCEmu-hosted download pages haven't been as thoroughly updated as those on some other sites of late - but I must say, it's a shock to me to hear that it plays WMA and FLV! :o

As far as developing plugins, I am definately not qualified to answer that question. However, I would assume that you would have to have a certain amount of knowledge/ability with regards to programming to be able to attempt something like that. I'll send this over to the Programming Discussion Forum, where you might get a more thorough answer.

* MOVED TO PROGRAMMING DISCUSSION FORUM *
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
lo
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by lo »

Which version do you use?

Version: 2.0 beta 2 (November 21, 2004)
http://www.consolevision.com/?Dreamcast ... edia:Video

Use BootDreams for making a bootable CD, you can add mp3 and other, so you do not have to swap disks. Seems .txt files are supported, never testet doc files.

Sorry that I can't help you with plug-ins, never found any link/instruction.

I use dcplaya for internet stream radio :) , works great, but yo need a BbA for that.

lo_
Arqueiro
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Arqueiro »

dcplaya use a custom script language called "lua"
3d graphics and visualization ?
http://www.arquiteturadigital.com
djray
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by djray »

does dcplaya have audio visualization support?
Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Imerion »

does dcplaya have audio visualization support?
Yes. If I remember right, there are four different visualizations built-in.
Arqueiro
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Arqueiro »

djray wrote:does dcplaya have audio visualization support?
yes its have some kind of visualizations plgins like winamp...
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

I wonder why DCPlaya never got the attention it deserved. It's more customizable than anything else for Dreamcast...
Insane homebrew collector.
Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Imerion »

I wonder why DCPlaya never got the attention it deserved. It's more customizable than anything else for Dreamcast...
Good question, I have wondered the same thing. Its a fantastic program but few seem to talk about it.
Arqueiro
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Arqueiro »

also is the best video player available for dreamcast
Christuserloeser

Re: DCPlaya

I've never really used it for video playback... any codecs and settings you could recommend for it ? (DivX/VP3/Xvid/...?)
Arqueiro
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Arqueiro »

Christuserloeser wrote:I've never really used it for video playback... any codecs and settings you could recommend for it ? (DivX/VP3/Xvid/...?)
you can get best results/quality with dvix, but this player is so amazing that also supports you tube videos (.flv) :o
Christuserloeser

...I just tried it and it's really impressive: no frames are dropped, no sound lag, plays back perfectly :D