Yabause 0.8.0

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Yabause 0.8.0

Post by BlueCrab »

Well, its my turn for a Christmas release, and for that I bring you Yabause 0.8.0! For those who don't know, Yabause is a multi-platform Sega Saturn emulator. For the first time, I have a Dreamcast release ready at the same time as the other ports of Yabause.

To download the newest release, go here:
http://yabause.sourceforge.net/index.php/?page_id=4 .
If you pick the Dreamcast version as listed there, you'll get the plain files for the emulator (1ST_READ.BIN). You'll need a Saturn BIOS image to go with it named saturn.bin in the root of the cd. After that, just burn it like any other selfbooting emulator, pop it in your DC, and follow the directions on screen. Performance wise, you'll get somewhere between 4 and 8 FPS most places, but only around 2 in movies. Not all games work, and some work in the PC version that will not work on the Dreamcast version. Sorry about that.

Here's some screenshots for those who haven't seen them:

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

These are all from the game Magical School Lunar, by the way.

Anyway, Merry Christmas, and Happy Holidays.
Deth2k7
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Deth2k7 »

Thanks BlueCrab! Its really looking good.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

It's good to see a new release.
THE#1SonicFan
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by THE#1SonicFan »

Great BC. Nice to see some more progress being done on this Emu. just have a two questions, what is the resolution of the emu? Is it 320x224 like the Saturn or is it 640x224 (like what bleemcast did). And my other question is did u say once upon a time did u say that u got Nights running at a decent speed? Somewhere around 15 fps wasn't it? Hell it might not of been u that said that, but I remember someone saying something like that
Don't like me or just don't like what I've said, click here.
Oh yeah, as Sonic fan's go, I would kick your ass in to next week.
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis »

Wasn't B!cast 640x480?

Can't wait to try this out when I get me some blank CDs.
THE#1SonicFan
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by THE#1SonicFan »

GyroVorbis wrote:Wasn't B!cast 640x480?

Can't wait to try this out when I get me some blank CDs.
Yeah ur right, that's what I meant.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

It does all of the rendering at the native resolution of the Saturn. Until the speed comes up, there's absolutely no reason to try to make it look flashier, I believe.

Also, NiGHTS does not run at all. It crashes the emulator in the opening movie sequence (and I know exactly why, it sets a high-resolution mode of the vdp2, if you must know why). I don't know if/when I'll be able to fix it though.
THE#1SonicFan
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by THE#1SonicFan »

BlueCrab wrote:It does all of the rendering at the native resolution of the Saturn. Until the speed comes up, there's absolutely no reason to try to make it look flashier, I believe.

Also, NiGHTS does not run at all. It crashes the emulator in the opening movie sequence (and I know exactly why, it sets a high-resolution mode of the vdp2, if you must know why). I don't know if/when I'll be able to fix it though.
Well I'm not rushing u or anything. And its no prob that Nights doesn't work. I got a Saturn for that :wink: I'd just like to see some games in 640x480. I know its expecting too much, so don't worry about it. Just do what u can, that's all I ask. Too many people of the Dreamcast emulation community get greedy and expect to much. I'm not asking u to make it 640x480, but only if there was some way to upscale the resolution for the Saturn.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

THE#1SonicFan wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:It does all of the rendering at the native resolution of the Saturn. Until the speed comes up, there's absolutely no reason to try to make it look flashier, I believe.

Well I'm not rushing u or anything. And its no prob that Nights doesn't work. I got a Saturn for that :wink: I'd just like to see some games in 640x480. I know its expecting too much, so don't worry about it. Just do what u can, that's all I ask. Too many people of the Dreamcast emulation community get greedy and expect to much. I'm not asking u to make it 640x480, but only if there was some way to upscale the resolution for the Saturn.
I didn't think you were... I'm just really tired, so I apologize if I came off sounding kinda mean there.

Also, its interesting to note, not all saturn games rendered in the normal 320x224 mode. NiGHTS actually sets up the 704x224 mode, which is kinda an oddity in itself.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Cool, thanks for the release :).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

...It actually runs commercial software now? :o

They may not be playable in the slideshow that is 4fps, but just the fact that this is RUNNING has blown me away. Keep up the great work!

Also, how are the other ports performance-wise? The Saturn is one of the systems that is grossly under-represented on anything other than Windows.
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

DaMadFiddler wrote:...It actually runs commercial software now? :o

They may not be playable in the slideshow that is 4fps, but just the fact that this is RUNNING has blown me away. Keep up the great work!

Also, how are the other ports performance-wise? The Saturn is one of the systems that is grossly under-represented on anything other than Windows.
Yeah, it does load commercial games now. I was playing around with it for like an hour last night. It's really impressive. I'm going to have another round with it today, and I'll tell you what all I was able to play with it.
THE#1SonicFan
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by THE#1SonicFan »

I have to admit that commercial games running on the Dreamcast is apsolutely amazing. Yes it maybe only 4-8 fps, but u got to start somewhere. I'd like to know if any of the 3 Sonic games run on it at all. I know that they wouldn't be playable but it would be nice to know that they run :)
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

I don't have any of the sonic games to test with, unfortunately. My Saturn collection is actually quite small, compared to most of the consoles I have (I didn't get a Saturn until after the Dreamcast was "commercially dead").
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

I have Sonic R, Sonic 3D Blast, and Sonic Jam.

My copy of Sonic R is kinda scratched, I'm going to either resurface it or try it with another DC, because the disc wouldn't read. Sonic Jam worked until the menu screen. Apparently it's one of the games with a crazy resolution.

I haven't gotten a chance to give 3D Blast a try, but I'll let you know.
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

Wow, this is truly amazing. Definitely one of the most impressive emulators on the Dreamcast even if it's also one of the least playable.

From the looks of it, it seems like you're attempting to emulate the Saturn cleanly and "properly," which is admirable, but I wonder if certain games could be made really playable by including game-specific code, maybe as plugins. Have you looked into this? I don't know how saturn emulation is done on PCs, but it seems like early on at least there was quite a bit of this. And of course it's how Bleemcast works. It may not be as clean or pleasant form a programming point of view, but to actually get saturn games playable on the Dreamcast would be quite a feat.

Or are you actually thinking that Yabause will eventually reach a playable level of emulation on the Dreamcast even without game-specific hacks? It doesn't seem possible to me, but I don't really know enough about either the Saturn or the Dreamcast to say, I guess.

Anyway, thanks for the release. It's very cool. I'm glad someone has taken up the challenge of a Saturn emulator on the Dreamcast.

...word is bondage...
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Christuserloeser wrote:Out of the current systems, the DC is the platform for a SAT emulator. The DC's main CPU, the SH4, is somewhat backward compatible to the Saturn SH2 CPUs. They share the same instruction set. Still it's a bit more complicated than it sounds because they use a different byte order (little endian / big endian) but BlueCrab wrote somewhere on these forums that he works on a real-time byte swapper to make full use of the possibilities.

Based on Yabause v0.0.7 which as of then only emulated the Saturn BIOS, Yabause-DC v0.0.7 emulated the BIOS too. Slow, but it did. It was a plain test port without PVR acceleration or the dynarec-like byte swapping implemented.
...so yes, I assume that it's possible to achieve a playable speed with Yabause on Dreamcast some day :)
Insane homebrew collector.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

one of the only reasons i drop in this section of the board still. Christmas was nice to our lil scene this year. Im quite impressed with this. Though I dont ever expect anything on par with something commerical. but quite impressive, crab its your projects that keep me still interested in my dreamcast even in this day.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Arqueiro
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Arqueiro »

nice see that you still working on it BlueCrab! thanks!
3d graphics and visualization ?
http://www.arquiteturadigital.com
TseTinGFunG
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by TseTinGFunG »

Nice release Blue Crab glad to see your still working on it and releasing this gem in time for xmas. Now we can use the Saturn emulator as a music cd player since I had to let go of my saturn awhile ago. Gotta burn this one out to bring back those memories.
Now Playing - Counter-Strike Dreamcast (CSDC) Beta 5.