Question about the Xbox 360

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Question about the Xbox 360

Post by Veggita2099 »

I am thinking for a tax refund next year of getting an Xbox 360. The latest Xbox compatibility list has every game I currently own minus one of them. I figure on ebay my current Xbox might fetch about $100 with a couple of games, couple of controllers, and couple of memory cards.

If I get one I know I want the Pro version. My main concern however is the Xbox live network. I see there is a Silver and Gold membership for it? While I wouldn't mind playing some games on-line, I will not pay a monthly fee to do that. However do I have to pay for a Xbox live membership to update the xbox compatibility list? Also is there any way whatsoever of taking xbox save games from my current xbox HD and putting them on the 360 HD (so I wouldn't have to restart every xbox game I own)?

Last but not least how well does it play xbox games. I mean if they list the game as workign does it pretty much work 100% the same as if it was on a normal xbox, or does it run choppy, flakey, etc??
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

You don't pay for the backwards comp. for Xbox games. That's something that downloads/updates (if needed) when an XBox game is inserted into the 360. There are ways to get saves on there, I think you can do it with this. I would like to get some of my saves on my 360 but don't have one of those and they're about $80 here.

Silver gets you pretty much nothing, you can download stuff from the marketplace. Some of it free and some of it costs. You can send other Live members messages I think. Gold allows you to play online. You can't play multiplayer games from the marketplace online with a gold account either, AFAIK. The few XBox games I've played on my 360 have ran a bit iffy, but that could be due to being shit games. I've played Sonic Heroes as it was the only one of my games playable on the 360 a while back. I played Simpsons hit and Run on it since then and it seems ok. I've been meaning to test Shenmue2 since the last update but have yet to do it.

I'm not entirely sure, but I dunno if you can play Live enabled XBox games on a 360 with a gold account, someone will have to clarify that.

Also you get one month gold membership free when you make a Live account. So technically if you wanted to be cheap you could just make a new account every month. But a new account = new profile. You won't have any of your save files for your games and no achievements will be unlocked.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Re: Question about the Xbox 360

Post by stagg »

Veggita2099 wrote:I am thinking for a tax refund next year of getting an Xbox 360. The latest Xbox compatibility list has every game I currently own minus one of them. I figure on ebay my current Xbox might fetch about $100 with a couple of games, couple of controllers, and couple of memory cards.

If I get one I know I want the Pro version. My main concern however is the Xbox live network. I see there is a Silver and Gold membership for it? While I wouldn't mind playing some games on-line, I will not pay a monthly fee to do that. However do I have to pay for a Xbox live membership to update the xbox compatibility list? Also is there any way whatsoever of taking xbox save games from my current xbox HD and putting them on the 360 HD (so I wouldn't have to restart every xbox game I own)?

Last but not least how well does it play xbox games. I mean if they list the game as workign does it pretty much work 100% the same as if it was on a normal xbox, or does it run choppy, flakey, etc??
I would almost go as to say if you do not get Xbox live you might as well not get the 360. Xbox live is easily the BEST thing for the 360, it really is amazing how simple everything is, and $50 a year is nothing, and on ebay you can find the cards for ~25-30.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Re: Question about the Xbox 360

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

stagg wrote:
Veggita2099 wrote:I am thinking for a tax refund next year of getting an Xbox 360. The latest Xbox compatibility list has every game I currently own minus one of them. I figure on ebay my current Xbox might fetch about $100 with a couple of games, couple of controllers, and couple of memory cards.

I would almost go as to say if you do not get Xbox live you might as well not get the 360. Xbox live is easily the BEST thing for the 360, it really is amazing how simple everything is, and $50 a year is nothing, and on ebay you can find the cards for ~25-30.
nonsense

sure live gold adds something to the experience, but im still blown away by all the silver functionality, i LOVE downloadable demos, im heading out today to get PGR3 simply because i cant stop playing the demo, i love being able to launch stuff of the hard drive, downloading high quality game trailers all that sort of stuff

sure live gold is nice, being able to play against others online, but i can thoroughly enjoy single player too

i agree that 50 a year isnt much, i wouldnt even think twice if i had some mates to play with, but to say that not getting live gold invalidates the entire xbox is just plain rubbish
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

i agree that 50 a year isnt much, i wouldnt even think twice if i had some mates to play with, but to say that not getting live gold invalidates the entire xbox is just plain rubbish
Agreed. I'm sure there are plenty of people that own 360's and don't have gold.

ccb_v2
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by ccb_v2 »

Skynet wrote:I'm not entirely sure, but I dunno if you can play Live enabled XBox games on a 360 with a gold account, someone will have to clarify that.
I've played Halo 2 on my 360 on Live... and signed in with Fable...
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I guess the silver membership is free? I doubt Id really want to play against others on-line. Too many hardcore people who eat sleep and live games. I had all the fun I needed with games like Quake 3. Every time there was that one guy with 100+ frags and everybody else with 10 to 15. No fun spawning and BOOm your dead...spawn....boom...your dead.

Sounds like it might be the thing to do. I figure I might be able to fetch $100 for my current Xbox on ebay. Don't think its going to be worth trying to save my old save games. Only ones I really care about though are Vice City. Shoot as of right now the only games I have (or will have after I sell my Xbox) are Vice City, Outlaw Golf 2, Megaman collection.

Have been watching ebay abit for a used one, but shoot people have been bidding just as much for a used one as they would for a new. Thenyou get a console that may or may not have been taken care of. Plus I always love the smell of a new console.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

yeah silver is free, and includes all sorts of downloads (demos trailers etc...)
HomerCIDAL
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by HomerCIDAL »

I have a 360 with a Silver account. The only reason I don't have a Gold account is because I don't have many people I know to go online and play with. I have hated some of the matches in the past with complete strangers when they act like complete asses...so, I'll wait a while longer until Halo 3 arrives. But in the meanwhile, Xbox360 games look great, Silver allows you to sample all of the demos from the marketplace and you can still message your friends from your list.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I have an Xbox 360 that has yet to ever be connected to the internet, and I've owned it since launch. I almost connected it once to see what kind of Oblivion stuff they had, but never did.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

HomerCIDAL wrote: I have hated some of the matches in the past with complete strangers when they act like complete asses...so, I'll wait a while longer until Halo 3 arrives.
you might not have played halo 2 online, but you should know that halo 3 is gonna atract a shitload of annoying squeejy voiced 13 year olds. if you have had some bad matches in the past, just will untill you decend into the cesspool of halo kiddies

nothing negative about halo though, its ok

and im pretty much in the same boat, im on my first month gold trial, and i doubt ill pay for it later, i dont know enough people to play with
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

I've subscribed to live for a few years now and I've just grown so accustomed to it that everything else seems half-assed and archaic. But if you don't play online that much then you might as well save your money and stick with a silver account. You'll still get access to all of the downloadables and patches and such, you just can't play online. If anything you absolutely MUST get it for the demos. I've purchased quite a few games I wouldn't have bought otherwise simply because the demo turned me on to the game.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Lunchbox wrote:I've subscribed to live for a few years now and I've just grown so accustomed to it that everything else seems half-assed and archaic. But if you don't play online that much then you might as well save your money and stick with a silver account. You'll still get access to all of the downloadables and patches and such, you just can't play online. If anything you absolutely MUST get it for the demos. I've purchased quite a few games I wouldn't have bought otherwise simply because the demo turned me on to the game.
aye, i really want PGR3 after playing the demo, i wouldnt have dreamed of me wanting pgr, but the demo was great

too bad im spending xmass at my dads in this small fucking town, only two shops here carry games, and no pgr3 :x
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I got one today. As I expected the Motorcycle game is pure and utter crap. In fact it is worse then the Sega GT racing that came with the Xbox. I mean it has no control whatsoever and its just boring. I will probably have it for about $10 in a upcoming FOR SALE thread before long. I have never been a big fan of racing games, but I can usually tolerate them if they at least offer some interesting courses and somewhat decent controls. This game offers neither apparently. I feel sorry for anybody who actually paid $50 for this title.

I guess I gotta connect it to the net to update because it won't play some of my games which should work with it. I went ahead and got Kameo since its somewhat cheap and seems ok. It wasn't what I expected but it seems decent I suppose. The game tech wise could have easily been a Xbox or Gamecube game though.

Honestly I wish I had just waited a few weeks. Every so often Best Buy/Circuit City offers the system with a REAL free game, not some BS racing game with crap controls.

Needless to say where I sit ATM I am not thrilled with the $455 I have invested in it ATM. I really thought Kameo would have been more along the lines of a game such as say Jak and Daxter. Instead it seems to rely too much on jumping between elements to get anything done. Does not ruin the game, but it doesn't make it stand out. I will add I have only played it for like 10 minutes so I am not passing judgement just yet.

I also failed to realize the 360 is not wireless. I guess Microsoft thinks everybody keeps there game systems right beside there router? I would think the average household keeps there game systems in either the living room or the kids room. Most routers are kept in a computer room I would guess? Yea my router is probably 30 foot away in another room. So unless I want a big ugly cord running from my living room through a hallway into my computer room thats not going to work. I can understand the first Xbox not being wireless since that was unheard of technology then. In fact just being able to go on-line out of the box was a major thing then. But seriously even a year ago wireless was the way to go. Nintendo proved it doesn't cost much to make a system wireless since the Wii is the cheapest next-gen console ATM.

I probably will enjoy it more down the road as there are a good handful of games I want for it. I hate to sound so negative all the time, but Im not going to lie. I was really expecting more out of what I bought.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

my advice, plug in that network cable and download a few demos, my recommendations would be dead rising, PGR3 and rainbow six vegas, also get the trial for geometry wars. it is hard as nails, and i cant even last the full four minutes of the trial, but it fricking ROCKS, but then again, im a sucker for stylish graphics

as for the wireless, there is the 70 dollar wlan adapter... but i cant blame you for not considering that, i wouldnt myself either

as for the first impression, i wasnt expecting all the live stuff to be so cool, i was expecting to blaze through all the live gunk in an hour and spend the rest of the time playing rainbow six, so far it has been the other way around, DLing trailers, demos and stuff, and sure ive played RB6, but not as much as i expected
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

but i cant blame you for not considering that, i wouldnt myself either
it is sweet though. i got one and it's worth the money

atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

Veggita2099 wrote:I got one today. As I expected the Motorcycle game is pure and utter crap. In fact it is worse then the Sega GT racing that came with the Xbox. I mean it has no control whatsoever and its just boring. I will probably have it for about $10 in a upcoming FOR SALE thread before long. I have never been a big fan of racing games, but I can usually tolerate them if they at least offer some interesting courses and somewhat decent controls. This game offers neither apparently. I feel sorry for anybody who actually paid $50 for this title.

I guess I gotta connect it to the net to update because it won't play some of my games which should work with it. I went ahead and got Kameo since its somewhat cheap and seems ok. It wasn't what I expected but it seems decent I suppose. The game tech wise could have easily been a Xbox or Gamecube game though.

Honestly I wish I had just waited a few weeks. Every so often Best Buy/Circuit City offers the system with a REAL free game, not some BS racing game with crap controls.

Needless to say where I sit ATM I am not thrilled with the $455 I have invested in it ATM. I really thought Kameo would have been more along the lines of a game such as say Jak and Daxter. Instead it seems to rely too much on jumping between elements to get anything done. Does not ruin the game, but it doesn't make it stand out. I will add I have only played it for like 10 minutes so I am not passing judgement just yet.

I also failed to realize the 360 is not wireless. I guess Microsoft thinks everybody keeps there game systems right beside there router? I would think the average household keeps there game systems in either the living room or the kids room. Most routers are kept in a computer room I would guess? Yea my router is probably 30 foot away in another room. So unless I want a big ugly cord running from my living room through a hallway into my computer room thats not going to work. I can understand the first Xbox not being wireless since that was unheard of technology then. In fact just being able to go on-line out of the box was a major thing then. But seriously even a year ago wireless was the way to go. Nintendo proved it doesn't cost much to make a system wireless since the Wii is the cheapest next-gen console ATM.

I probably will enjoy it more down the road as there are a good handful of games I want for it. I hate to sound so negative all the time, but Im not going to lie. I was really expecting more out of what I bought.
First Mistake: Buying the 360 at (Walmart?) instead of Toysrus. TRU was giving out a 100 dollar gift card to anyone who bought a premium this week.

Second Mistake: Buying Kameo. Really, WTF did you expect?

doing research before purchasing FTW
Tetris: 556-381-350-981
MKDS: 163-282-974-709
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

Go get Gears of War, Dead Rising, and the full version of Geometry Wars Evolved. Three best games on the 360, hands down. Personally, I've found everything else to be a bit "meh" (Oblivion/GRAW included) or just ports of current gen stuff, but those three are great.
Very sexy hero, omg
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

atf487 wrote:
Veggita2099 wrote:I got one today. As I expected the Motorcycle game is pure and utter crap. In fact it is worse then the Sega GT racing that came with the Xbox. I mean it has no control whatsoever and its just boring. I will probably have it for about $10 in a upcoming FOR SALE thread before long. I have never been a big fan of racing games, but I can usually tolerate them if they at least offer some interesting courses and somewhat decent controls. This game offers neither apparently. I feel sorry for anybody who actually paid $50 for this title.

First Mistake: Buying the 360 at (Walmart?) instead of Toysrus. TRU was giving out a 100 dollar gift card to anyone who bought a premium this week.

Second Mistake: Buying Kameo. Really, WTF did you expect?

doing research before purchasing FTW
Ack really??? Id say that was over probably saturday wasn't it? I should have done some more research on the game though. Oh well can't win them all.

Pretty much atm I have it hooked up just to update the software and to get a handful of demos. I might in the future consider the wireless adapter.
HomerCIDAL
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by HomerCIDAL »

Disheveled DrFreeze wrote:you might not have played halo 2 online, but you should know that halo 3 is gonna atract a shitload of annoying squeejy voiced 13 year olds.
I was referring exactly to that! I've found that most of the time, XBL is only as good as your friends list. That is why I'll wait to get back online more often after Halo 3 arrives.