Need some New Egg advice.

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Need some New Egg advice.

Post by navi »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822144701

Thinking about getting this for my wife's comp. It looks like a good deal. Her comp is a costume built so I don't think it'll be a problem but I've heard problems with OEM before.

Also I was looking at the pins on the back and they don't look like IDE standards but I could be looking at it wrong.

Any advice?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

That's not an IDE hard drive. She will have to have a SATA interface on the motherboard or a separate SATA card installed in order to use that drive.

I haven't kept up with hard disk prices, but that seems pretty cheap to me. I don't like Western Digital, though--they've given me trouble--but not everyone has a problem with them so your results may vary.
It's thinking...
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

Western Digitals, although I've never had a real problem with, do make me nervous at the heat at which they run.
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
ian
Young Null Warrior
Young Null Warrior

Post by ian »

Darcus Magnus wrote:That's not an IDE hard drive. She will have to have a SATA interface on the motherboard or a separate SATA card installed in order to use that drive.
and instead of w d- seagate
It's a livin' thing, Its a terrible thing to lose.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

[nods] I've never had a problem with a Seagate drive. They're a little more expensive, but they have by far the best track record.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Yeah, I've used a Seagate in my desktop ever since a few WDs died off on me, and I've never had a problem.
It's thinking...
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

My 300 gig IDE Seagate died a month after I bought it. :x Hardware failure, too, not just a software problem.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Honestly, I don't think there is one brand that can be considered above all the rest. Sure, there are really good brands, but every one of them are prone to a few duds every once in a while.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

I think it's more that companies have their ups and downs. At any given moment one company might be the best in terms of reliability, but you can never get perfect information on current hardware because it takes time to collect enough real-world failure data to draw any conclusions. Personally I'll take the 5-year warranty in lieu of a flawless reliability record. )()(
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi »

I see thanks for the input, she doesn't have an ATA slot and I must be so far out of the loop I didn't know what ATA was. Oi but I did find this while googling

http://www.pcgears.com/default.aspx?oid=156160

It looks like it will aleviate the problem of having to upgrade the motherboard right now.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Darcus Magnus wrote:That's not an IDE hard drive. She will have to have a SATA interface on the motherboard or a separate SATA card installed in order to use that drive.
navi wrote:I see thanks for the input, she doesn't have an ATA slot and I must be so far out of the loop I didn't know what ATA was. Oi but I did find this while googling

It looks like it will aleviate the problem of having to upgrade the motherboard right now.
If the motherboard doesn't have an ATA controller than you wouldn't be able to use the device you found. Also, if it didn't have an ATA controller it would be very likely that it would have a Serial ATA controller, because I highly doubt you're running all SCSI devices.

Maybe you should read an A+ book or something before you start taking computers apart.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

navi wrote:I see thanks for the input, she doesn't have an ATA slot and I must be so far out of the loop I didn't know what ATA was. Oi but I did find this while googling

Um, for the price, why not just buy an actual IDE hard drive? You would probably end up spending more for a SATA hard drive and an adapter than if you would just buy a IDE hard drive.
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi »

Xylene wrote:

If the motherboard doesn't have an ATA controller than you wouldn't be able to use the device you found. Also, if it didn't have an ATA controller it would be very likely that it would have a Serial ATA controller, because I highly doubt you're running all SCSI devices.

Maybe you should read an A+ book or something before you start taking computers apart.
I've been taking computers apart since I was very very young. I'm comfortable doing it. I've built hundreds of computers over the years for companies and private clients. I just have not been keeping up with whats current in hardware because current real life events that have been transpiring (also the reason I haven't been on DCEmu as much as I use to). And yes I am A+ certified but I got my certification before ATA Controllers were introduced.
melancholy wrote:

Um, for the price, why not just buy an actual IDE hard drive? You would probably end up spending more for a SATA hard drive and an adapter than if you would just buy a IDE hard drive.
Thanks for the advice Melancholy I might just do that. I know it would save a lot of complications.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

navi wrote:And yes I am A+ certified but I got my certification before ATA Controllers were introduced.
You got your A+ cert over a decade ago?
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer