Why are backups bad? <-- Honest Question.

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
anal=probe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by anal=probe »

clessoulis wrote:
DoughBoy wrote:Well, I'd just like to say this... It wasn't really echelon... The original Gods of DC was Utopia, they made the boot disk and released games. Then Kalisto came into the scene and became big releasers, then Sega paid off Kalisto and Echelon came in to take their role, later on then Kalisto came back. During all this, there was of course other groups releasing like Eurasia, and others. And one more thing, backing up DC games isn't that easy, I'm fantastic at it, but it's not quite a breeze. You don't get DC game son websites, stop asking for it there. You gotta know where to go, what to use, etc. There are 2 places to get DC games, but of course I won't mention them because its.... :evil: :evil: TABOO :evil: :evil:
oh, BTW, do NOT message me asking about DC games, it's hard to explain, it's not an easy answer, you don't just GET THEM, and I will not help anyone out with backing DC games up.
But Echelon did all the big games and where the only ones that where easy to contact.
<sarcasm>yeah, Kalisto got Sega stock options, sure </sarcasm>
Kalitso and Echelon are oviously mostly the same people, if not all of them. The only difference between their releases is Echelon's are all self-boot. They "took over" when self-boot was discovered.
-Azathoth-
Jounin Shinobi
Jounin Shinobi

Post by -Azathoth- »

Yeah, so its games like those (the ones you really like) that you buy. Many companies release bad games without any press whatsoever, because they know they have a stinker on their hands, and they can quickly recoup their cash by selling to uninformed kids with too much cash. ( I use to be one.)
"Deviantart is the home of messed up emo kids"
clessoulis
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by clessoulis »

anal=probe wrote:
clessoulis wrote:
DoughBoy wrote:Well, I'd just like to say this... It wasn't really echelon... The original Gods of DC was Utopia, they made the boot disk and released games. Then Kalisto came into the scene and became big releasers, then Sega paid off Kalisto and Echelon came in to take their role, later on then Kalisto came back. During all this, there was of course other groups releasing like Eurasia, and others. And one more thing, backing up DC games isn't that easy, I'm fantastic at it, but it's not quite a breeze. You don't get DC game son websites, stop asking for it there. You gotta know where to go, what to use, etc. There are 2 places to get DC games, but of course I won't mention them because its.... :evil: :evil: TABOO :evil: :evil:
oh, BTW, do NOT message me asking about DC games, it's hard to explain, it's not an easy answer, you don't just GET THEM, and I will not help anyone out with backing DC games up.
But Echelon did all the big games and where the only ones that where easy to contact.
<sarcasm>yeah, Kalisto got Sega stock options, sure </sarcasm>
Kalitso and Echelon are oviously mostly the same people, if not all of them. The only difference between their releases is Echelon's are all self-boot. They "took over" when self-boot was discovered.
LOL Sega Stock is worthless.
DNR the current kickass dc programer. Thanks
for the emulator I've been waiting 2 years for.

Thanks to Reaper2k2 also for showing interest into WSC emulation.

Selfbooting for Noobs
DoughBoy
Yes, that's right I'm a
Yes, that's right I'm a

Post by DoughBoy »

ummm, a ps chip, leta say a stealth can be gotten for like $18 bucks, it's absolutely perfect, boots everyhting and no anti piracy gamec can stop it.... no probs no antyhing, just burn to another cd, and it's perfection. DC had downsampling yes, but DC was totally different... it was the only console we couldn't burn the games on the same media.. however, for ps2 for example, you can get perfect backups again burning to DVD-r (unless it's a CD-r game, then burn to cd), with maybe a patch or such needed to be added to the game. It's not hard, it ust requires knowledge. Knowing how to get warez doesn't mean you have no life.
Another great and interesting post brought to you by the DoughBoy!

P.S. I'm looking for A Turbo Express, PM me if you got one.
anal=probe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by anal=probe »

Soldering sucks. Most good psx game aren't that expensive anymore. It's like buying something for 5 cents instead of 15 cents. It's not gonna make or break your bank account.
HipHopunism
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by HipHopunism »

Anyone who believes that Sega gave stock to Kalisto really needs a good kick to the ass. They were just playin around. Come on now.

To: Kalisto@hushmail.com
Subject: Stop pirating us and we'll give you lots of moneys

Dear members of Kalisto,

If you stop pirating our games, we'll give you stock! We'll give stock to all your suppliers, crackers, couriers, etc. If you promise to not tell anyone how to make selfboot backups of our games, we'll promise to not give the names of the stockholders to the FBI.

Sincerely,
Your friends at Sega

:roll:
-Azathoth-
Jounin Shinobi
Jounin Shinobi

Post by -Azathoth- »

DoughBoy wrote:ummm, a ps chip, leta say a stealth can be gotten for like $18 bucks, it's absolutely perfect, boots everyhting and no anti piracy gamec can stop it.... no probs no antyhing, just burn to another cd, and it's perfection. DC had downsampling yes, but DC was totally different... it was the only console we couldn't burn the games on the same media.. however, for ps2 for example, you can get perfect backups again burning to DVD-r (unless it's a CD-r game, then burn to cd), with maybe a patch or such needed to be added to the game. It's not hard, it ust requires knowledge. Knowing how to get warez doesn't mean you have no life.
If youre VERY determined to play FULL DVD games, there are such things as multi cd-r DVD backups. I suppose with skill, even DC backups could be made without any loss of content. Anything is possible.
anal=probe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by anal=probe »

-Azathoth- wrote:
DoughBoy wrote:ummm, a ps chip, leta say a stealth can be gotten for like $18 bucks, it's absolutely perfect, boots everyhting and no anti piracy gamec can stop it.... no probs no antyhing, just burn to another cd, and it's perfection. DC had downsampling yes, but DC was totally different... it was the only console we couldn't burn the games on the same media.. however, for ps2 for example, you can get perfect backups again burning to DVD-r (unless it's a CD-r game, then burn to cd), with maybe a patch or such needed to be added to the game. It's not hard, it ust requires knowledge. Knowing how to get warez doesn't mean you have no life.
If youre VERY determined to play FULL DVD games, there are such things as multi cd-r DVD backups. I suppose with skill, even DC backups could be made without any loss of content. Anything is possible.
So you could play, like, I don't know, FF7 on PS2, all on one dvd-r?
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

anal=probe wrote:
-Azathoth- wrote:
So you could play, like, I don't know, FF7 on PS2, all on one dvd-r?
I think he means taking a DVD game and spreading it across multiple CD-Rs, a technique which can be used with most DVD games. It all seems a bit pointless really as you could just stick them on a DVD-R.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

back-ups are bad cause game companys can make you pay 50 bucks again for a game you all-ready bought. I got my ps1 mod-chip mainly cause sony pissed me off. I had Mega Man Legends (at the time a 40 dollar game) And the CD cracked. I called and asked if there was any kind of replacement for damaged cd's and they said nope buy a new one.

so I got me a mod-chip, rented the game, backed it up

I paid my money for the game and we all know that when you buy a cd game your paying for the software moreso then the cd (since they probably don't have 2 bucks tied up in the cd).

As far as the Dreamcast dieing to Warez I seriously doubt. The ps1 is easier to bootleg for then the Dreamcast. Sure you don't need a mod-chip for the dreamcast. But if your a true warezer you can get a modchip and your smart enough to go to the video store and rent a game and copy it. I would have no clue though on how to copy a dreamcast game. I have several warez ps1 games, but only 2 dreamcast games that was warezed (and I might add those 2 games I wouldn't pay 10 bucks for cause they suck).

Im not going to go into a debate on why it died, but it did, get over it, and stop pointing fingers.

Oh I might add the games I got bootleg for ps1 I wouldn't have paid money for either. Any game I really want I pay for it. Sony and Sega has both made money off me on the games I bought. So either way sony would not have gotten any extra money from me rather I had the bootleg copies of those games or not.

Companys look at pirated software like this.

If a person has 100 copys of illegal software they just say that is

$ 5000

But as I said before MOST OF THE TIME a person who gets a bootleg peice of software would not have bought it anyways. How many roms do you got on your emulators that you would actually have paid money for? I got a friend who bought a dreamcast and a ps1 only cause he could get games for free (copies) But he even said if he couldn't have gotten free games he would have never purchased the systems to begin with. And since he bought those system he actually does have a couple of legal copies, he has 2 or 3 mem cards 2 controllers for each system also. So actually in this case Sega MADE money from him cause of bootlegs. Cause he would have never botten those couple of legal copies, the mem cards or controllers (they was sega and sony brand too I think)

Ok im done now
dcemuromplayer
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by dcemuromplayer »

they just are. :P
anyone who owns an emulator is a warez using software pirate

or they just stare at the main menu all day long!!!!! :)
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

I warez games, simply cause of the prices. I just can't afford that many games, And you have to admit, the price's of some of the games are rediculous.

Im still in school, so all those scumbags who are gonna say get a job....AND I have a job. However, If a game really is good, and I enjoy playing it, I will buy the real version, as the developers then do deserve the money.
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

One of the reasons I love the PSX is for it's "Go ahead and copy me" nature.After bleem came along, I bought a lot of psx games, copied them, put the originals up and kept the backups.Later, when I bought a laptop, I copied the backups, so now I can have 20 or so PSX games on my laptop, even tricking it to run pc games it can't...(GTA2,Quake 2,Final Fantasy..)

That's basicly my only use of backups.
-Azathoth-
Jounin Shinobi
Jounin Shinobi

Post by -Azathoth- »

perry2175 wrote:I warez games, simply cause of the prices. I just can't afford that many games, And you have to admit, the price's of some of the games are rediculous.

Im still in school, so all those scumbags who are gonna say get a job....AND I have a job. However, If a game really is good, and I enjoy playing it, I will buy the real version, as the developers then do deserve the money.
AMEN! Also, you DO get you moneys worth for the games you really like; The Arc the Lad collection for example. Working Designs threw so much stuff together in that package, its MORE than worth what you pay. Namco also has a history of creating games with an intrinsic sense of worth, ie bonus options, characters, art etc.
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

If people want a NEW game because it is an amazing piece of software, then they should pay for it. If people just buy a pirate copy, then the developer makes no money. No money means said developer makes no more(or lesser quality) games, simple as that! Getting back-ups of a crap or average game is just stupid. If its average or crap, why the hell would you want to play it anyway?? If you really do need to then just rent the bugger!!!!
Guizzy's dead soul
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Guizzy's dead soul »

Well; how can I know if a game's worthy of my cash? I'm not rich and I do not have a job; I can't buy the quarter of the games I would like to play. And even if I had a job, I couldn't.

Reviews and people's opinion is not enough for me. I hate Starcraft, Diablo II, Dungeon Siege and EA's sport series. All of 'em are very popular and acclaimed. On the other hand, I like Spawn: In the demon's hand (am I the only goddamn person on earth NOT bothered by the frigging camera angles? I mean; if you've got a decent spatial perception, it's not THAT bad!), which recieved mediocre reviews.

To know, I must play; and since most of my friends don't buy the games they play, I can't legally play them before. I could always rent, but the videoclubs here, in Canada, have the tendency to get games months after their releases. The only way for me to know is to download a demo or the warez version. However, I know myself. If I like really much a game, I'll buy it even when I have downloaded a backup. The only difference between a demo and a backup is that the backup is not limited, and that the person can get a better view at the game.

The biggest reason why backups doesn't hurt the industry much is that the people who never buy games and download warez are NOT gamers. As they are not gamers, they would not buy any games if they were not "free", and because most of them are too young and broke anyways. A gamer doesn't buy anyless games because he also download backups; he just play more games.