What if...

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
HomerCIDAL
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What if...

Post by HomerCIDAL »

Sega/Sammy were to release a handheld game machine?

The handheld game market is incredibly robust and with the hardware division behind Sega/Sammy, they could produce and incredible game machine! The only question from there would be what would they have for third party offerings?

I know it wouldn't fill the gap that a Dreamcast 2 could fill, but some handheld Sega gaming would be a very welcome alternative to what is out there now!
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Would be nice, but I can't see it happening or doing so well. Keep in mind that I loved my game gear. It's going to take a lot to knock of the big N in the handheld division. Sony tried and are failing to take charge of the handheld market.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

for every 1 psp that has been sold in Japan, 4 DSs have been sold...and how many PS2 owners are there?

I love Sega, but I don't see it happening due to lack of support.
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
HomerCIDAL
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by HomerCIDAL »

It's really too bad. The DS isn't a "powerhouse" of a system, but the unique control feature coupled with great games has equalled unparalleled success for Nintendo. If Sega did with their back-catalog of games what Nintendo has done with theirs (remade for this generation of gamers such as New Super Mario Brothers), I'm sure the games would sell well. The notion that a handheld needs to be as powerful as a home console, like Sony has done with the PSP, is a little over the top and unnecessary. There is still enough middle ground between the DS and the PSP for someone to come in and make a mark on the handheld industry.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

The only problem I see with the PSP as a handheld are the loading times.
HomerCIDAL
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by HomerCIDAL »

Loading times and the limited battery life because of spinning the UMD disc. The graphics are phenomenal for a handheld and it makes the graphics for the DS seem underwhelming. Maybe Nintendo will find ways to smooth textures in software since the hardware doesn't do it natively.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I think it would be wrong mainly as Sega has failed miserably in the hand held department. I believe they made a hand held just to compete with Nintendo it wasn?t even a real system.

Game Gear = Portable Master System
Nomad = is a portable genesis

A) Sega Handhelds where perhaps only slightly better then the home made Playstation and Dreamcast type handhelds.

B) A handheld market is not easy to penetrate Nokia tried; N-Gage it was even a good system if not for a very small screen. Also other companies such as Game Park and Gizmondo are struggling miserably.

C) Sega?s image in Hand Held is much worse then there image at home sure there consoles had the back light from start and nice graphics (for the time), But they were bulky and the batteries didn?t even last as long as one getting a blow job.

I Hope I can get away with the attempt at humor in the end, chances are I won?t. People who decide to attack me should note that I am just giving my personal opinion.
HomerCIDAL
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by HomerCIDAL »

Pretty good points...and the humor is welcome :)

I'm sure we all believe this will never happen, but Sega would almost certainly have more third party support than N-Gage, Gizmondo and GamePark all together. That is where Sega, as a hardware company, has failed in the past. Lack of third party support killed the Saturn and Dreamcast prematurely.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Would they really I doubt that.

Electronic Arts and Sega have yet to bond infact they are even more distant then ever.

Do you have any idea how many studios went bankrupt because of the dreamcast?

FUDGE FUDGE FUDGE sorry homy I am beeing to negative with you. If we really are playing a what if kind of game imagine before the PSP sega released a portable Dreamcast 2 which looked a lot like only 50% larger was slaped a bit more like the dreamcast controller plus you could connect the vmu in it for GOD knows what reason.

It would be backward compatible to all the dreamcast games only thing is they would be on small 4 inch GD's similar to the UMD's. The best part is that all these UGD's would work on dreamcast as well.

Now that's a dream. |/|
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

If Sega had the ability to produce all the great games you seem to think they would for a handheld system of their own, why wouldn't we be seeing such releases form them on the DS right now? There'd be more money for them in doing it that way anyway. It'd be a better deal for me, too, since I wouldn't have to buy another system. However, as it stands, I wouldn't buy a handheld from Sega if all it offered was the same quality of games they've been releasing for the DS plus 50% of the third party stuff from the DS.

...word is bondage...