WTF Best Buy?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

WTF Best Buy?

Post by Luriden »

I only work 4 hours next week. WTF am I supposed to do with 4 hours? I'm trying to save up for Christmas here. This fucking sucks. I guess they went and hired too many people, since about 5 of us in the media dept. have less than 6 hours of work next week. Guess I won't be around after the holidays then, which was what I was afraid of.

But either way, Christmas is gonna suck if they don't bump up my hours big time. I just got a job offer from a local used CD store today and I turned it down for Best Buy. That's just my luck that Best Buy starts fucking me over the same day.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Never turn down a potential job until you see what the have to offer!
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I told the manager at the CD store that I just recently got employed since I sent them my application, but it's only seasonal and they have lots of seasonal employees so they might let me go after the holidays and I would still be interested in their job. She said she'll give me a call in January to see if I'm still interested and if I'm available.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

Thats one reason I ditched rat shack, 30 hours in a month? They basically wanted me to cater to them without much in the way of compensation. Yeh yeh blah blah it's a job, they can still suck it down. They wanted everything I could offer and then some. If they needed me for 5 minutes while some guy took a piss I'm sure they'd have called me down there to work.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

Freaky Keneaki wrote:I told the manager at the CD store that I just recently got employed since I sent them my application, but it's only seasonal and they have lots of seasonal employees so they might let me go after the holidays and I would still be interested in their job. She said she'll give me a call in January to see if I'm still interested and if I'm available.
Then call them back now and explain the situation has changed if they still want you, you are willing to start ASAP. If they are gonna call you in Jan they obviously want you.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

APE wrote:Thats one reason I ditched rat shack, 30 hours in a month? They basically wanted me to cater to them without much in the way of compensation. Yeh yeh blah blah it's a job, they can still suck it down. They wanted everything I could offer and then some. If they needed me for 5 minutes while some guy took a piss I'm sure they'd have called me down there to work.
Actually I agree with you for once about jobs ;). You should easily be able to find a job that can offer you more than one hour per day of work.
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

Thats the problem with jobs in retail. The Christmas rush always sends employers running for as many low paying part-timers as possible. Clearly your Best Buy stocked up so that in case one or two of you don't work out there will still be a good 3 or 4 of you left to cover. After boxing day you'll be lucky to get any shifts at all until March or so.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

They will use you in Dec. Back when I did retail we had to keep electronics staffed with just 2 people during the weeks before thanksgiving then after thanksgiving we had about 8 people in the dept. at all times. They are cutting labor costs now to offset the costs they will incure next month.
Hawke
Wastelander

Post by Hawke »

Salary's where its at!

...but I wouldn't know, I make a measly $13 an hour re configuring and towing planes around an airport.
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

for my first few weeks i was getting around 15 hours. then one week (2 weeks ago) i got 10, then 2 people quit and i worked 40 hours for the past 2 weeks, and next weeks schedule just came out and i've got 10.5 hours (2 days, but i asked for that)

tell your manager you need more hours to make it worth your time working there. if they give 'em to you then stay if not then dont.

also, keep in mind your still training (right?) so your not going to be getting a bunch of hours until they know that your ready to work them. and from what i was told, they try and schedule the new people when the "better" employees are working.

another thing, the holiday season is coming up, i'd be very surprised if you still only get 4 hours a week.
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Stick around for a bit and see whats going on. I did the same thing at Papa Johns as MKE. I was getting 5-10 hours a week then a bunch of people quit. Got 40 hours a week min a fter that.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Actually, Kenichi, I'm wondering if this is a corporate thing. We had the same thing happen to us this week too. For instance...

We have never, ever, ever had anyone complain about hours on truck nights. We work until the truck is done. But Wednesday, our Ops manager walked back and told us we had to leave at midnight, no exceptions. We all knew there was absolutely no way we could finish truck by midnight so we ignored her. At 11:58, she came back again and told us drop everything and clock out. We went to our department manager and he argued with her, but she said no exceptions, we must clock out immediately. We literally abandoned televisions and computer towers in the middle of the store. Digital cameras and cell phones were just left laying in boxes on the floor. Nothing was locked up, we literally stopped everything and left. It was extremely bizarre that suddenly they have become super strict on hours. In the three years of me working there, this has never happened before.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

if it was this wednesday (like day before thanksgiving) i'm thinking it might have been because the store isnt open on thursday, and they cant have anybody on the clock that day (today) but it does seem kind of odd that this is happening...
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

Ahhh, Good old union job, 3.5 hours a day gaurenteed but most of the times it is more like 4, or 4.5. Then hopfully I will become an assistant manager at my other job and get a minimum of 35 hours a week.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Orange_Ribbon wrote:Ahhh, Good old union job, 3.5 hours a day gaurenteed but most of the times it is more like 4, or 4.5. Then hopfully I will become an assistant manager at my other job and get a minimum of 35 hours a week.
Working two jobs sucks, but you can't beat the hours ;)
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

MKE wrote:if it was this wednesday (like day before thanksgiving) i'm thinking it might have been because the store isnt open on thursday, and they cant have anybody on the clock that day (today) but it does seem kind of odd that this is happening...
No, it was strictly budget. She constantly drilled that into everyone's heads. She never mentioned a word about Thanksgiving.
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

ace wrote:
Orange_Ribbon wrote:Ahhh, Good old union job, 3.5 hours a day gaurenteed but most of the times it is more like 4, or 4.5. Then hopfully I will become an assistant manager at my other job and get a minimum of 35 hours a week.
I actually really enjoy it because I love both my jobs. Don't get me wrong then have there downs, but they really have their ups to.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

A lot of us are pissed today about this. Even the supervisors got cut back a bit, they're getting the hours I SHOULD be getting, and I'm still in training. But still, 23 hours is better than 4, so I'm still jealous.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Orange_Ribbon wrote:
ace wrote:
I actually really enjoy it because I love both my jobs. Don't get me wrong then have there downs, but they really have their ups to.
:lol: