So I'm playing Final Fantasy Tactics through AGAIN

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

So I'm playing Final Fantasy Tactics through AGAIN

Post by jaredfogle »

And wondering: was any explanation ever given as to why this masterpiece got such a horrid translation?

"Brother! Don't you have any 'justice'?"

Thats not the best quote by a long shot, but its the the most recent bad one I've seen.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
popley
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by popley »

I thought it was a truly great game. I really enjoyed the battle system, classes.
"It's only after we've lost everything, that we are truly free to do anything." Fight Club

http://www.geocities.com/nesterdcgamecodes
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Yeah, it's not absolutely terrible, but it was pretty bad. My guess is that it was rushed and never coordinated and/or edited properly. I was particularly impressed by how the explanations in the tutorials make references to menu items that don't actually exist (because they're translated to much shorter terms for the menus, which were evidently translated by a different person or group than the tutorial text).
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

Yeah, it's not "all your base" bad, but for such a great game its amazing how terrible it is.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

I've never played it :oops:
Hawke
Wastelander

Re: So I'm playing Final Fantasy Tactics through AGAIN

Post by Hawke »

jaredfogle wrote:And wondering: was any explanation ever given as to why this masterpiece got such a horrid translation?

"Brother! Don't you have any 'justice'?"

Thats not the best quote by a long shot, but its the the most recent bad one I've seen.
...nothing wins the justice.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Ah, back to the classics.

I'm currently playing through Ocarina of Time for the first time in a few years (last time was in '03, when I got it free with my GameCube). I love this game, but this recent replay is reminding me why I liked Link to the Past better (LttP vs. OoT is the gamer's Kirk vs. Picard :P). Most notably, for all its greatness, Ocarina of Time drags notably in some spots. The text is slow moving, the cutscenes are often long and tedious (especially if you've played the game before), and several bits--like the water temple and just MOVING AROUND on Hyrule Field--are outright tedious. These issues were made much worse in Wind Waker, but they seem to originate in Ocarina. Link to the Past never feels like it's dragging, and doesn't have any parts that have that nagging tedium to them.
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

Playing through FFXII has made me wanna play Tactics again. Along with Shining Force I+II, it's one of the few S-RPGs i've enjoyed.