I'm not into videogames much.... Read my story on why.

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I'm not into videogames much.... Read my story on why.

Post by stagg »

Ok, well I always thought of myself as loving video games, and to some extent, I do love video games. I only like multiplayer though, I despise single player games, and I can almost never play them threw. There are few games I have beat. I think I have beat about 4 games in my life.
Them being.

Gunstar Heros.
Mario DX for gameboy.
Crash Bandicoot.
and maybe a couple more I can't remember.

This is sad, I CAN NOT beat games. I am not bad at games, I just don't know why I can not beat them. I have owned so many systems, and probably over 100 games, and I just only beat about 4 of them. I find more enjoyment buying things like Speakers, New Monitor, the Wireless headset, and ect, then I do playing the games. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to force myself to sit down and try and beat a game? Ugh, I love video games, but I never even come CLOSE to beating them. :x
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

You suck that's why! :P And this goes in gaming, does it not?

Seriously though, I think you're missing out on not playing single player games to the end. Shenmue 1 and 2, while they may seem boring to some, to me they are probably 2 of my favourite games of all time. They are single player games only. No multiplayer at all! I do have a fair few multiplayer games, but rarely do I actually play them multiplayer, even online. I find a lot of enjoyment comes from just getting into the game by yourself. Following the story lines, identifying with the main characters, etc.

Maybe you're just not finding the games that you would really want to play by yourself? Now I don't know what games you've played before or what type of games you like. For example, if you're not too fond of RPGs but keep buying them, of course you're not going to finish the game or enjoy it. I've found I have a heap of games that I got to the final boss or final stage and haven't touched them since, never the less I enjoyed the games and would recommend them to others. For instance, I got to the final boss in Wind Waker (I'm pretty sure it was the final boss) and then just stopped playing for some reason. I loved the game and would recommend it to anyone interested in it, but still haven't finished it myself.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Dr. Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Skynet wrote:this goes in gaming, does it not?
Correct-a-mundo.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

i rarely finish games as well. its not a big deal, often i'll make it right to the end and just stop playing. (this happened with both mario64 and ff7)

ironically the most the games i've spent hours in front of are pick up and play games, like guitar hero, katamari, and my ds games.
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

It's tough, but I do the same thing. I rarely finish single player games. And it's funny...I usually only finish the games that I think, "I'll never finish this game" as I'm standing in line at the check out with game in hand.

Just try multiple games until you find one you can't put down. Also...sometimes AAA games that everybody loves don't click with me as well as more obscure titles.
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by stagg »

Vlad Tepes wrote:It's tough, but I do the same thing. I rarely finish single player games. And it's funny...I usually only finish the games that I think, "I'll never finish this game" as I'm standing in line at the check out with game in hand.

Just try multiple games until you find one you can't put down. Also...sometimes AAA games that everybody loves don't click with me as well as more obscure titles.
I'm going to try and beat CoD2 before I get 3. So hopfully I will have it finished before Christmas or so. Maybe if I force myself to do it, I'll enjoy it. I just like the intense action of Online games. I mean, whooping someone else's ass, how could you not love that? :lol: Also, since I play online before I play the single player a lot of the times, I am pretty good at single player when I get around to playing it.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I just got COD2 a couple of weeks ago. I've beaten it on every difficulty already and still couldn't stop playing it, until I started FF8 again.

A lot of people are like that, stagg. I was like that when I was younger, but now I don't stop playing a game until there's nothing left to it.

What you need to do are find games that you love. If you aren't neglecting your girlfriend and family for a new game you just got and can't stay off of, you're probably not going to beat it.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

The problem I've encountered is that once you have money to blow on videogames (or the means to pirate) you're quick to move on to the next one since it's readily available. This wasn't the case when I was younger since my parents wouldn't buy me that many games, so me and my brother would play the crap out of them over and over. We beat Metal Gear Solid like 8 times in a row, back to back.

As soon as I had some money coming in on a regular basis I'd move on to a new game as soon as the slightest hint of boredom kicked in. I'd assure myself that I would go back to it eventually but I usually didn't.

Nowadays I don't do that anymore. I always try to finish the singleplayer and spend good time with the multiplayer before starting a new one.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Re: I'm not into videogames much.... Read my story on why.

Post by DaMadFiddler »

stagg wrote:Ok, well I always thought of myself as loving video games, and to some extent, I do love video games. I only like multiplayer though, I despise single player games, and I can almost never play them threw. There are few games I have beat. I think I have beat about 4 games in my life.
Them being.

Gunstar Heros.
Mario DX for gameboy.
Crash Bandicoot.
and maybe a couple more I can't remember.

This is sad, I CAN NOT beat games. I am not bad at games, I just don't know why I can not beat them. I have owned so many systems, and probably over 100 games, and I just only beat about 4 of them. I find more enjoyment buying things like Speakers, New Monitor, the Wireless headset, and ect, then I do playing the games. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to force myself to sit down and try and beat a game? Ugh, I love video games, but I never even come CLOSE to beating them. :x
My god. The errors. THE ERRORS!!! {head explodes in a grammatical supernova}
Vlad Tepes wrote:It's tough, but I do the same thing.
It's so tuff... 8-)
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Re: I'm not into videogames much.... Read my story on why.

Post by melancholy »

We kept telling you, but you never listened. You already stated the problem in your topic:
stagg wrote:I have owned so many systems, and probably over 100 games, and I just only beat about 4 of them. I find more enjoyment buying things like Speakers, New Monitor, the Wireless headset, and ect, then I do playing the games.
Bam. Problem solved. Solution is; stop buying stuff! The reason you find it so hard to beat a game is because you buy so many that you stop placing a value on them. You continuously buy the next greatest thing before you have a chance to even attempt the last one. You are suffering from a similar problem that people who warez games have. There is no value in the games that they steal, so they have no incentive to play them. They only take them for the thought of owning them and that is it. You have fallen into a similar trap where you continuously buy stuff without much regard to cost. Therefore, since you throw money around, the items you buy lose their value to you.

The simple solution is to stop buying stuff. Period. Just stop. Save that money for a later day and just use what you have. You will gain a much, much higher appreciation for them and will actually gain your desire back to play through to the end. Trust me, it works. I've seen it time and time again and have experienced it myself as a kid.

This isn't an insult to you Stagg. As much as I love picking on you, I am totally serious with you right now.
Last edited by melancholy on Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

I rarely beat games completely. Some like Trauma Center get insanely difficult at a certain part and I can't do it. Or others like Super Mario Sunshine produce a challange thats just a tad out of reach of my skill. Then Super Mario 64 comes along and I get far enough into the game that the level design no longer pleases me and I simply don't want to play it anymore.

Other games like Resident Evil 2 I've seen so many bits and pieces of it's almost pointless to play the game.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I have been finding myself finishing less games as of late. I never did finish Paper Mario for Gamecube. Seems like I get to certain parts of a game and it feels more like work then fun and I just say heck with it. I know on Paper Mario I got to the part where you have to run clear all over the freakin game talkig to bomb's to get permission for a cannon. I got sick of it and sold it at that point. If Final Fantasy 12 doesn't get a little more interesting I may be doing the same with it.

And don't get me started on Mario Sunshine. I cried myself to sleep for a solid month over that game.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I agree with Mel.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Who cares?
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Jeeba Jabba wrote: A lot of people are like that, stagg. I was like that when I was younger, but now I don't stop playing a game until there's nothing left to it.
It's the other way around for me, when I was younger I would play every game I had to death, I loved videogames. Now, idk new videogames don't really appeal to me. Plus, I've got better things to spend my money on nowadays instead of video games.[/quote]
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

Most of the games that I've beaten are from my childhood, old skool days. Things like Starfox, Super Mario World, SMB2, Star Topics. Of course, that was a time when I couldn't get any game I wanted, when I wanted.

I think a lot of us have gone through a warez phase where we make it our mission to amass as many games for as many systems as possible. When you've got tens of thousands of games at your disposal, it really does kill the appreciation you once had for when you had to carefully choose which games to purchase.

The last game I genuinely beat was probably Ms. Pacman: Maze Madness. That game was a lot of fun to me.

I've also put in about 20 hours of FF7 but my interest is dying down a little. I've just stumbled upon the amusement park with the chocobo races and stuff.
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by TyBO »

I suffer the same problem stagg, and I think Mel hit the nail on the head. I have access to just about any game from N64/PSX-era on back. It gets to be overwhelming. Once I get stuck or bored with one game, I think "Eh, I'll try a different game and get back to this one later," and I usually never do get back to it.

I guess the best solution is to focus on one game at a time, and not pick up a new one until you've finished the one you're on.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

*raises hand* same here

i rarely finish any game and i have backlog of easily 100 (legal!!!) games spread across all platforms (PC, XBOX, Cube, DS, GBA, DC, NGPC), yet still i keep buying new stuff now and then, although that has been lessening lately

the games i play mostly are either heavily story driven (golden sun, fable) or simple pick up a play affairs where i can waste away some time (ssbm, timesplitters, UT that sort of stuff)

as for CoD2, i was at the start of the US campaign when somehow the game crashed and took down my entire savegame, i started over and after finishing the soviet campaign i was like "meh, dont feel like doing the entire brit campaign again" and just forgot about it, it is a great game though, and i would have finished it if my save hadnt crashed :(
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

That is the exact reason I am currently putting off buying FF12 and KH2. I am playing FF7 at the current time, and need to wait to finish it before I buy a new game. If I buy a new game, I will start one and never finish FF7.
lynx44
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by lynx44 »

I'm the same way, but I don't buy that many games, I just like the systems. I'll probably get all the new systems and buy 3 games for all of them. The only one's I end up playing are the ones that you can pick up and play for 3 minutes, then turn it off. I can't get into games with a big investment, like RPGs, it just seems like too much effort. I guess that's why the Wii is growing on me, they seem to have a lot of minigames that I may actually end up playing, but if I don't, meh, I'm used to just collecting the stuff. I spend more time programming or working on my car rather than playing games, I always feel like I'm wasting my time with them, even though I love reading about them and buying them...it's bizarre.

-Matt