Lik-Sang closes doors

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Darksaviour69
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Darksaviour69 »

http://www.gearlive.com/index.php/ne...iness-1025129/

dont know if this is true but:
Sony stooped to new lows by filing the same lawsuit in every single EU country, basically drowning Lik-Sang in paperwork and lawyers fees. Sony wins because Lik-Sang can?t afford to defend themselves. The end result is that Sony didn?t just say, ?Hey, stop selling our stuff, if you don?t mind.? They proceeded to nothing less than thuggery by beating the company while they were down.
that might be the biggest factor

also lik-sang do have offices (and stores? )in europe, germany i think
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

Their parent company (pacific tech) probably trades in the EU in someway as well.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I used to buy a lot of Sony gear. When I was growing up, my dad used to work for a production company that was owned by Sony / Columbia, so he got discounts on Sony gear. Their TV is a 32" Sony Trinitron (top of the line CRT from 1993), and their home stereo is a Sony.

My stereo in high school was a Sony bookshelf model, and all of my portable audio players are Sony--my Discman, my Walkman (yes, I still have one), and a handheld portable tape recorder. Two of my four pairs of headphones are Sony. I bought or received nearly all of these things in high school. I even had a MiniDisc player for a while, when MP3 players were still overpriced gimmicks and before MP3 CD players were common.

Unfortunately, Sony has been in serious decline for many years now. Their customer service has been garbage since the '90s, and their product quality has been deteriorating noticeably over the past ten years. Compare the build quality of a Sony product from the '70s or '80s to my parents' gear from the early '90s (which is still pretty solid, though the TV needed a new logic board last year), to my old stereo from the late '90s (which has had many problems, leading me to leave it behind when I started college), to their current gear. It's not as sturdy, and it doesn't last.

Their headphones don't even have metal bands any more; it's all very flimsy plastic, and the audio quality of their gear is no longer superior to the other manufacturers in their price range.

The only Sony console I ever bought was a secondhand PS2 (which I sold nine months later), and the only Sony product I've bought this millennium is my MP3 Discman, in 2004. (SIDE NOTE: I once found a PSone that had been abandoned by a former housemate, but after using it to play through Castlevania, I gave it away with some games I sold). My computer is an Apple, my home theater is secondhand JVC gear (all of which is from the early '90s except the DVD player, and it all works as well as it did the day it was built), my TV's a Toshiba, my phone is a Uniden, and my game consoles are Nintendo.

One of my New Year's resolutions for 2006 was to spend my money where it's deserved, but *only* where it's deserved. I've been pretty good about it. I switched phone companies and computer companies, I've supported more independent productions in the arts, and I've started making fair-trade products and fresh organic produce a larger part of my groceries.

This *would* be the final straw for me with Sony, but this thread has made me realize that I don't really buy their stuff any more, anyway. It's another bullet in a growing list of reasons I won't buy the PS3, but in all honesty, I wasn't going to get one anyway. The PSP was never interesting to me, and my home theater has been complete for several years. I did consider a Vaio when I switched computers last spring, but I got a better deal on the Mac. Sony doesn't make PDAs any more (though the Clies kicked ass), and my next portable audio player will be an MP3 player, which Sony is notoriously bad at.

I wish there was something I could do to impact them a little. I feel like the vegetarians in Futurama who are threatening to boycott the seafood restaurant :P
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

I don't think I've ever had a problem with any of my Sony products
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Well why don't you just marry sony then? )()(
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

pwned
Have you played dreamcast today?
lackofsense
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Location: dobson just north of your carolines and your other sisters

Post by lackofsense »

well Sony is in love with garnering hatred these days aren't they
sense-lacking is a tough job but somebody's got to do it
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

Fuck Sony. I've never really had much of a problem with them before, but this is ridiculous. I wasn't going to buy a PS3 for a while, but with this...I probably won't get a PS3 at all. ...Such a shame... :cry:
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Here's a response from Lik-Sang about Sony's claim that they had nothing to do with it:
Gamespot wrote:Today in his final e-mail as a Lik-Sang employee, marketing manager Pascal Clarysse hit back at Sony's claims that it had nothing to do with the importer's closure. "While they 'strongly denied that their actions have had anything to do with [Lik-Sang's] closing' in their statement, they still had the time to send a 15-page fax less than 24 hours later, outlining the terms of the order made by the UK court last week and asking Lik-Sang to pay the sum of ?100,000 ($190,000) just for their legal costs before 4pm on November 1," he said. "The fax also includes a penal notice, nicely reminding the reader that not obeying the order (which means shipping any PlayStation branded product to any country in Europe) may mean sequestration of all assets and, in worst case, imprisonment for the directors of the company."

Lik-Sang also blasted Sony's statement that any Japanese PSPs which would have been bought by members of their company would have been solely for investigatory purposes. "Sony's unbelievable statement that all purchase orders made by their own directors 'would' be for investigatory purposes speaks volumes, and also doesn't explain why these and all the other orders placed by Sony officials were not revealed to the High Court," said Clarysse.

Clarysse concluded his statement on behalf of Lik-Sang by declaring that it was a sad day for import gaming. "Sony should be proud of having such a die-hard import gamers' community rushing to buy their products and supporting them with a passion. Instead, they march all over us," he said.
So immediately after stating that they had nothing to do with Lik-Sang's closure, they send out a fax saying that they have to pay almost $200,000 in the next 4 days for Sony's own legal costs? And that total doesn't even include the amount that Sony actually won for the case‽ That is absolutely ridiculous! And this comes hours after Sony stated that Lik-Sang didn't have any legal costs because they didn't show up! That in retrospect seems like a jab at Lik-Sang. "Well of course they didn't have any legal costs of their own. They just had ours to pay for."
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

All my ps2s have been second hand dying/dead/broken. Current set:

v4 - laser won't read dvds, ribbon for the controller port is shot so I can't even use HDLoader on it right now. Came to me in an unfunctional state due to missing parts, cannibalized a spare v4 that the previous owner superglued the cables in for some reason.
v3 - friends ps2, nothing wrong with it except it can't play the videos on MGS3 and has minor issues with Kingdom Hearts 2. Not surprising since it pushes the console hard.
v2 - won't power a hdd through the network adapter so I tried to install a duo3. Failed and ended up blowing the resistor block the controls the dvd trys closing procedure. Huray. Waiting on a PM from a guy who can repair these things.
SCPH1001 psx - had to be turned on it's side to work properly. Snowy parts of FF7 had green blobs flying past.
SCPH7501 - flawless.

Seems the quality of the console build goes up after time. My god the v2 is a tank but it's internal design seems overly complicated where as the v4 is simple but has stuff that goes in the way of each other.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
-Johnick-
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by -Johnick- »

[dyslexia] Suck Fony! [/dyslexia]
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

Agh no more lik-sang :'(
I used them often for importing games and such....I'm so disapointed in Sony. Over something as stupid as this aswell.

At the end of the day, if someone wants to get themselves a Japanese PS3/PSP, they'll GET a Japanese PS3/PSP. It was more the hardcore gaming crowd who shopped there, and they'll simply go elsewhere and get one. Whats the bloody point? Sony get their share of the money regardless...
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Who the hell are the people posting in this topic??!
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

MulletMan13 wrote:Who the hell are the people posting in this topic??!
eh?
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

Mullet was apparently quite out of it last night.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

I've only bought one thing from lik-sand in the past-those gamebts required to open the cube and other consoles. I pretty much only use http://www.goldenshop.com for all my importing needs; they truly kick arse.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Probably the saddest thing about this whole event--and what hasn't really been mentioned too much--is how Lik-Sang actually put effort into supporting console communities. They were one of the first places to carry independently-developed DC titles, and they've sponsored COUNTLESS cevelopment competitions for the DC, GP32, and GP2x.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Darksaviour69
Phantom
Johnick
GMC

... I have no idea who those people are.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

Thats nice. Funny cos I've been posting about for years...lol, mabye cos I never post in Null anymore?
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I agree with DaMadFiddler. Sony's products used to be the best of the best when it came down to dependability and usage over many years of time, but now you have to worry about their hardware operating right out of the box.

I've never heard of anyone have any trouble with a Sony television that's younger than 10 years. They always made the best, most durable compact CD players, etc.

It's since the inception of the Playstation that their quality and reliability have declined in all aspects of customer satisfaction. Weird, don't you think?

Oh, and MM13, Gmc has been here since UBB. Don't know how you've never encountered him before... Maybe because you yourself disappeared from this website for a few years... :P
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe