Straight Outta Lynwood

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Straight Outta Lynwood

Post by DaMadFiddler »

So yesterday, my friend randomly bought me a copy of the new Weird Al CD. It's one of those new hybrid disc thingers, with a CD layer on one side and DVD on the other.

The DVD side has the entire album in Dolby Digital, as well as music videos for half (!) the songs (though interestingly, not the "White and Nerdy" video) and a five minute mini-documentary video showing the band in the studio.

Overall, the album is pretty good. Certainly better than Poodle Hat. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as Bad Hair Day and Running with Scissors, a one-two combo that I still maintain are his best works to date. Maybe it's because he's been doing this for 25 years, and it's become familiar. Maybe it's just because I don't like a lot of modern pop music as much as I liked '90s music, so I don't get as much enjoyment out of the source material. It's still a pretty decent album, though.

Anyone else have it, or listened to it? Thoughts?
Darksaviour69
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Darksaviour69 »

yeah its the first Weird Al album i listened to, i enjoyed it. Going to have a look at his older stuff.... Bad Hair Day and Running with Scissors you say
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Darksaviour69 wrote:yeah its the first Weird Al album i listened to, i enjoyed it. Going to have a look at his older stuff.... Bad Hair Day and Running with Scissors you say
[nods] While there are many excellent tracks on most of his albums. Those two are far and away the best overall.
SadisticSaviorX
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by SadisticSaviorX »

I never really cought on to Weird Al music. Its mostly just "joke" music i think. :roll:
zman
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by zman »

I'll have to check it out. I've seen Weird Al many times in concert. Always a good show.

For Weird Al's music, it's hard to get if you do not know the original songs he parady's.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

zman wrote:I'll have to check it out. I've seen Weird Al many times in concert. Always a good show.

For Weird Al's music, it's hard to get if you do not know the original songs he parady's.
i actually like/prefer his orginal songs
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I stood outside of Best Buy the day of it's release to get ahold of the first copy. Oddly, I was the only one in line, though. I still haven't watched the DVD side yet, but as of today, I have went through the album 12 times. I'm always listening to it on my 20 minute drive to work.

Anyway, I don't find it to be as technically impressive as Poodle Hat. Hardware Store was perhaps some of his best vocal work and Bob had to take some serious thought to write. That kind of planning was not as apparent in SOL. Still, Confessions Part III never ceases to make me laugh despite having the song memorized, and Trapped in the Drive Through is an excellent epic song that really rings true to me and my wife sometimes. It is a great CD in it's own right.
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

I think it's a great album. Some of the funniest stuff I've ever heard. I've never heard of the DVD side with the videos, maybe I'll have to buy the cd to see them.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

It's okay. Like all his albums though, they're novelties. Not something I listen to everyday, but more like once a year, if even that.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

melancholy wrote:I stood outside of Best Buy the day of it's release to get ahold of the first copy. Oddly, I was the only one in line, though. I still haven't watched the DVD side yet, but as of today, I have went through the album 12 times. I'm always listening to it on my 20 minute drive to work.
Did you honestly expect people camping out for the Weird Al CD? :lol:
melancholy wrote:Anyway, I don't find it to be as technically impressive as Poodle Hat. Hardware Store was perhaps some of his best vocal work and Bob had to take some serious thought to write. That kind of planning was not as apparent in SOL. Still, Confessions Part III never ceases to make me laugh despite having the song memorized, and Trapped in the Drive Through is an excellent epic song that really rings true to me and my wife sometimes. It is a great CD in it's own right.
Hardware Store is one of this best songs, but what's so great about Bob? He sings a bunch of existing known palindromes, while nearly completely copying Subterranean Homesick Blues in every other aspect.
It's thinking...
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Darcus Magnus wrote:
melancholy wrote:I stood outside of Best Buy the day of it's release to get ahold of the first copy. Oddly, I was the only one in line, though. I still haven't watched the DVD side yet, but as of today, I have went through the album 12 times. I'm always listening to it on my 20 minute drive to work.
Did you honestly expect people camping out for the Weird Al CD? :lol:
No, but it was fun to play it out like I thought it was going to be huge. I just showed up 10 minutes before the store opened. It totally confused my co-workers. :lol:
Darcus Magnus wrote:
melancholy wrote:Anyway, I don't find it to be as technically impressive as Poodle Hat. Hardware Store was perhaps some of his best vocal work and Bob had to take some serious thought to write. That kind of planning was not as apparent in SOL. Still, Confessions Part III never ceases to make me laugh despite having the song memorized, and Trapped in the Drive Through is an excellent epic song that really rings true to me and my wife sometimes. It is a great CD in it's own right.
Hardware Store is one of this best songs, but what's so great about Bob? He sings a bunch of existing known palindromes, while nearly completely copying Subterranean Homesick Blues in every other aspect.
I didn't know that they were pre-existing. I thought he came up with them all himself.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

melancholy wrote:I didn't know that they were pre-existing. I thought he came up with them all himself.
http://www.palindromelist.com/

That site has the Bob palindromes as well as many, many more. Considering none of the palindromes make sense, I don't think it really takes much difficulty to write them anyway...
Last edited by |darc| on Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's thinking...
Darksaviour69
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Darksaviour69 »

melancholy wrote:Trapped in the Drive Through is an excellent epic song that really rings true to me and my wife sometimes.

agree, same here only with my 5 year GF ;)
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

Surprisingly, these past two Weird Al albums have been consistantly excellent. Poodle Hat rocked as does the new album.

- Fuzmeister