360 overheating. Options?

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

360 overheating. Options?

Post by Skynet »

I made this thread after my frustration with XBox support australia and my problem still ocurring. One thing I noticed while on the phone to them is that the console was running fairly hot. Once it cooled down, it happened to magically work. Which was kinda odd considerring by that logic it should've worked from the start (when I got home today) because it was turned off the entire day and should not be hot at all.

Now if this in fact the problem, should I look at some cooling methods or should I exchange it (7 months old) and hope they've kinda sorted out this heat problem? To me it was extremely warm, especially since it was indeed turned off only minutes prior. The customer support guy said I should take it back to the retailer and see if there's anything they can do if it keeps doing what it's doing, that's if target will infact take it back. If not I can get MS to fix it under warranty. That is if infact the problem does keep ocurring.

Just wonderring everyone's thoughts on this issue and if maybe something like this would suffice and will keep my 360 a lot cooler. Also the power brick is elevated by about 2 feet above the console and has plenty airflow.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by stagg »

Go see if Target will take it back, and if not send it to MS, you don't want it finally breaking down 100% after your warrentys gone.
Darksaviour69
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Darksaviour69 »

Also the power brick is elevated by about 2 feet above the console and has plenty airflow.
yeah that the way i have mine too, and one of my other flate mates have it the same way, but another flate mate has lying on the ground, kind off tucked away.

problems? well my only had mine for about 2 weeks but too early to say (but saints row has frosen a about 4-5 times on me with in about total 22 hrs play)

my other mate had his the longest (6-7 months) and after about 2 months it did keep freezing and crashing to the point it was unplayable, and got MS to replace it, but the new one works fine.

and the othe guy, he has had his for about 3-4 months, and everything has been fine ( well his fight night disc did crack but we don't know if it was the 360 that did that or the fact he leaves disc laying about the place, in the living room..)

i sure this has been no help to you at all ;)
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

:lol: It was a good read though.

Anyway, anyone else got any input on the matter? I'll probably head down to target on sunday and try to work something out with them, if not I'll get MS to replace it.

Here's the question, let's say MS replaces it and doesn't fix the problem, will they give me my HDD with it or just give me a new one and transfer my data? :o

Darksaviour69
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Darksaviour69 »

they will only take the xbox it self, you keep the hard drive any everything else

they will first post you out a special box to put the 360 (no leads, no harddrive etc) then a guy will come around and pick it up at a set time. then a few days later you will get it repaired or a new one (write the serial code down if you want to know) sent out to you

Anyway, anyone else got any input on the matter?
i.e. darksaviour69 shutup ;)
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

The best thing I can say is to keep your 360 outside of shelves and entertainment centers and whatnot. Leave the system and the power brick out in the open. I also found that the system is somewhat cooler when you stand it up rather than leaving it horizontal.

Also, I wouldn't really recommend any of those 3rd party add-ons that cool the system down. I tried the nyko one for a bit, and it kept the system fairly cool, but it was sucking up too much power from the power brick. The brick would shut itself off and the light on it would turn red meaning it overheated. An hour later you'd be back in business again but the brick would still shut itself off if it got too hot. I haven't used it since and my 360 has been fine. Besides, if you keep your 360 properly ventilated you shouldn't need to use that stuff anyways.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I was thinking of keeping it upright, as there is far less surface area of the console touching anything with a greater amount of airflow around the thing. I'll test it out later and see if it's still working or not.

SinisterTengu
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by SinisterTengu »

I bought a 360 back when it came out on Nov 22 last year and always kept it upright. Around February I started getting the "ring of death" as they call it, where three of the lights on the power button flash red. Since I was still under warranty I called Microsoft to send it back. This was extremely easy, they send you a box to pack it in and all you send is the system (unless you really think its the power brick, then maybe they will send a different box to include that as well). Its got a label in the package that is pre-adressed to them, so all you do is stick your console in the included plastic wrap, pack it up and ship it out (I didn't schedule a pick-up since my work has daily UPS pickup). I got a package a week later with a new 360 in it saying in order to speed up the process, they just replaced mine. I'm pretty sure it was brand new, because it had the plastic over the faceplate again and stuff. So far, I've had no problems with it at all. I almost wish it would break again once they switch to 65nm processors so I could get one of those ;)

Also, during the time I had my first 360, the console and brick were always kept on a dresser and had good airflow going to them. Now that I've moved my second one to an HDTV, the console sits vertically on the floor (carpet) and the brick was on the windowsill next to it for a long time, but now it is also on the carpet behind the HDTV. No problems with that so far.