playing PS2/XBOX without DVD-Drive?

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Masen
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

playing PS2/XBOX without DVD-Drive?

Post by Masen »

Hi,

I thought about getting a used PS2 or XBOX.
But even on eBay they are really expensiv (80-100? for a PS2?WTF?, i could get 4 DCs for that ^^)
In fact that broken consoles go cheaper I thought to get a defect PS2 or XBOX. But repair parts are also not that cheap and I don?t know much about PS2/XBOX repair stuff.
So many of these broken PS2/Xbox auction are stuff like "does not read games anymore", and because both have the possibility to hook up a HDD drive, i thought if it would be possible to boot games through the HDD without using the DVD Drive ??
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I know for xbox it is possible with a bios upgrade, check out xbox-scene.com for more on that.
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by stagg »

Thomas wrote:I know for xbox it is possible with a bios upgrade, check out xbox-scene.com for more on that.
Yea, the PS2 is not possible with out a TON of moddding. The xbox is easy.
You just need another xbox, to..you know copy the games to so there legal. Or use the DVD drive then transfer them all to your HDD, and then take it out. Or something. :wink:
DCFreak07
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by DCFreak07 »

Yup. I read somewhere a tutorial on fixing broken PS2's. Mostly only lens problems and calibration. Let me look it up. And I'll give ya a link.

Here, it was on my site under storage.
http://n.1asphost.com/XBOXGuru/PS2DiskRead.txt

Theres some other stuff there too like something about putting games on the HD on PS2 and running Linux from PS2.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

stagg wrote:
Thomas wrote:I know for xbox it is possible with a bios upgrade, check out xbox-scene.com for more on that.
You just need another xbox, to..you know copy the games to so there legal. Or use the DVD drive then transfer them all to your HDD, and then take it out. Or something. :wink:
you will have to unlock HDDs to do this, as each HDD is locked to its mobo, you can play xbox games from a HDD, but the problem is you need a DVD drive to image them to the hdd, im not sure, but i doubt they can be directly FTPed on
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by stagg »

Disheveled DrFreeze wrote:
stagg wrote:
you will have to unlock HDDs to do this, as each HDD is locked to its mobo, you can play xbox games from a HDD, but the problem is you need a DVD drive to image them to the hdd, im not sure, but i doubt they can be directly FTPed on
Ah, right I keep forgetting you need the HDD first.. I know there is a way to take the HDD, and hook it up to your PC, copy the Xbox HDD to the New harddrive though.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

yeah there is, but you need to do something with the locking bit (been a while since i read up to this, so im not 100% sure how it works anymore)

the problem though will be getting games on the system without a DVD drive

you could try getting a broken machine (with read errors) and try a pot tweak, but if it doesnt work you cant really do anything with it
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Masen
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Masen »

Hi,
first thx for all the answers.

I already had the Idea that this booting from HDD would be easier on XBOX (maybe because its only a PC in a Box ^^).

But I would prefere a PS2 , because of the games available for that system. (maybe I will try some Lens fixes, cleaning or something if I find one very cheap. thx to DCFreak07 for the link)

But back to the XBOX , are there any hardware revisions that can?t handle a HDD ? (on PS2 I think that on all the Slims it is impossible to hook up a HDD).

What about getting the games on the XBOX ? (does somebody know if its really possible to get them on HDD by hooking up the HDD on a PC ?)

What about launching the Games ? would I need programm, that must be booted in the DVD drive ?

Are there any pages with complete Repair Guides for PS2 or XBOX ?
Like here for Dreamcast (I could already fix some of my DC problems, so I think it would also be possible to repair a XBOX or PS2 , but I dont have much information about regualar problems and how to fix them) .

thx
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

On the older slimline systems (v12 and v13), an HD can be connected but it requires soldering in the cable and using an external power supply (because slimline systems don't provide 12V anywhere).
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
SonOfMog
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by SonOfMog »

Yay, a toppic I can contribute to...

First, unlocking the Xbox harddrive: hotswap works for me

Next, installing the new bios: Xboxhdm is your friend

Last, yes you can FTP over games.
"It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts."
- G. B. Burgin
ghostparty
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by ghostparty »

Ex-Cyber wrote:On the older slimline systems (v12 and v13), an HD can be connected but it requires soldering in the cable and using an external power supply (because slimline systems don't provide 12V anywhere).
That's what I had done to mine, expensive as hell...
Masen
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Masen »

yeah, thx ...

im still looking on ebay for a cheap one (xbox or ps2) . But even defect ones are not that cheap. but maybe im lucky one day ^^
Nucklez
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Nucklez »

If you get a PS2 go with the big older one, not the new slim one. It would be very difficult to get a PS2 to work without ever having a the DVD-ROM working though. To get you on the right track, this is what you would need:

1. Older PS2
2. PS2 Network Adapter (Not the cheesey USB one, be careful on that one)
3. Practically any Hard Drive (Currently I use a 200Gig Western Digital)
3. Mod Chip. The only chip that will work is the one with the Toxic OS, and it has to be the "DMS Pro" version not the "DMS Lite" version. From my experience, the chips do not come with an OS completely installed though, you have to boot off of a CD to get the OS on the chip. They say they do that for legal reasons.

It ends up being a lot of money to do it to a PS2, and if you get the soilder version of the DMS4 Pro, you'll have a heafty 26 or so wires to soilder.
Masen
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Masen »

ok, thx ^^ but im still looking to find a ps2 for cheap on ebay ... last time i missed one for 5? :cry:

btw. I bought a defect SEGA Saturn on eBay ... its still not here, so I cant tell what is broken, but do somebody know page with tutorials or something for Saturn repair ???
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Nucklez wrote:3. Mod Chip. The only chip that will work is the one with the Toxic OS, and it has to be the "DMS Pro" version not the "DMS Lite" version. From my experience, the chips do not come with an OS completely installed though, you have to boot off of a CD to get the OS on the chip. They say they do that for legal reasons.
The HDD feature of Toxic OS is based on HDLoader, which is available to download for free with numerous compatibility upgrades as a single ELF. This can then be launched from the hard drive or memory card with a chip like the Matrix Infinity, which offers the same features as a DMS4 Lite, which is the same as the DMS4 Pro without any on-board flash memory.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!