Skies of Arcadia Pal60?

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Skies of Arcadia Pal60?

Post by Cid Highwind »

This question is directed to those who've got a PAL copy of Skies of Arcadia. Does it let you choose between Pal50 and Pal60? Or would I be forced to play at Pal50?

I'm asking this because with some games I really got screwed cause I simply can't stand Pal50. Both Grandia 2 and Soul Reaver don't support it and I really find it less enjoyable that way. For Grandia 2 I'm still looking to make the collection complete, as I already have the Pal and NTSCj limited edition and both the Deus and Povo OST's, so all that's left is the US one with the music cd. Anyway, Skies of Arcadia on top of my to-buy list now, so if anyone can help me out I'd be very grateful :)
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

No choice, just 50hz.
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

Thanks, I'll try to get the US version then.

My blog
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

The US version doesn't work with SCART cable though.
"Nothing works" - Catweazle
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

>_< You gotta be kidding me...

Still, it will probably be better to play it through composite rather than at 50Hz. Thanks for the info Phantom.

This is more a technical question: What's the reason why some games don't like Scart? I had the problem with Timestalkers as well, but several other US games worked perfectly fine with it.

My blog
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

The only reason I can think of is to prevent importing.
"Nothing works" - Catweazle
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

Nick had some US SOA disks some time ago, i got one from him. It doesn't support scart, but it supports VGA which i believe the PAL version doesn't (at least thats my experience with a pal Dream on demo where SOA said it doesn't support VGA, i hope I'm mistaken)
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

That reminds me of still having to buy a VGA Box/Cable. I take it the jack below is a simple headphone one? Would it work well when connecting it to a stereo?

My blog
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Shouldn't see why not?
lo
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by lo »

Cid Highwind wrote:That reminds me of still having to buy a VGA Box/Cable. I take it the jack below is a simple headphone one? Would it work well when connecting it to a stereo?
Yes it will work fine.
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

I too would really like to know why it is that some games don't support SCART. These games just don't have RGB output. However, any time one of those games was released in PAL format, RGB output was enabled, but at the expense of VGA outs. What does that mean? I don't get it. I don't even understand how it's possible for RGB not to work in the first place, but what's the connection with VGA?

...word is bondage...
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

Sweater Fish wrote:I too would really like to know why it is that some games don't support SCART. These games just don't have RGB output. However, any time one of those games was released in PAL format, RGB output was enabled, but at the expense of VGA outs. What does that mean? I don't get it. I don't even understand how it's possible for RGB not to work in the first place, but what's the connection with VGA?

...word is bondage...
From Wikipedia:

"RGB is a type of component video signal used in the video electronics industry. It consists of three signals?red, green and blue?carried on three separate cables. Extra cables are sometimes needed to carry synchronizing signals. RGB signal formats are often based on modified versions of the RS-170 and RS-343 standards for monochrome video. This type of video signal is widely used in Europe since it is the best quality signal that can be carried on the standard SCART connector. Outside Europe, RGB is not very popular as a video signal format ? S-Video takes that spot in most non-European regions. However, almost all computer monitors around the world use RGB."

VGA is used to carry the signal to a computer, if I'm not mistaken. Some monitors flash "red, green, blue" when they are set to an analog input and there isn't one that is attatched or turned on.

I'm going to assume that both VGA and SCART carries an RGB signal, but only VGA supports progressive scan. Why they would disable one and enable the other is probably due to television standards/quelling imports.
Very sexy hero, omg
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

Well, SCART is just a plug-type, so it can carry any type of signal and often does carry composite as well as RGB, but "RGB" is usually what Europeans mean when they say "SCART." And yes, VGA is RGB as well, the main difference is as you said that VGA is progressive rather than interlaced, so the whole screen is refreshed on a 31.5KHz cycle instead of half the screen being refreshed at 15.75KHz. Many older VGA monitors will even take a standard non-VGA RGB signal put out by consoles like the Master System and Genesis, in fact.

But none of that is an answer to what I was wondering. I should also point out that the vast majority of Dreamcast games work in both RGB and VGA, it's only a very small number of games that didn't have RGB support, some of which were then released in Europe with RGB, but always with VGA support then missing.

...word is bondage...
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

All VGA is is progressive scan RGB with some extra sync signals tacked on. Older Commodore monitors readily took straight RGB without issue. Shame the only middle ground on straight quality RGB style and progressive is VGA and it never took off as a connection. DVI almost did.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

Today I recieved the cable, and Skies of Arcadia arrived last week. Thanks for all the replies as they all have helped me a lot in making the right decisions.

The game looks stunning on my 17" CRT and I am really glad I got the cable. Though I am still in doubt whether or not I like Shenmue 2 better on VGA or TV. The jaggies are more visible and the shimmering shows its ugly head even more. Why does this game have that effect so badly on the textures while Sonic Adventure 2 for example looks so nice and clean? Just something I was wondering about and perhaps someone could answer it :)

My blog