NeoGeo Emulation on Dreamcast: Neo4All Starter Kit v1

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Christuserloeser
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Been thanked: 0

NeoGeo Emulation on Dreamcast: Neo4All Starter Kit v1

Post by Christuserloeser »

I've prepared a little starter kit for those of you that didn't have luck with getting Neo4All/AES or Neo4All/CD to work on their Dreamcast:

Neo4All Starter Kit v1 Download

The package contains a ready-to-burn image of Neo4All/AES (for swapping with your ROMdisks), a precompiled DreamInducer disc containing all the latest NeoGeo emus for Dreamcast (you only need to add the BIOS), all needed tools to convert your games for Neo4All/AES - like the complete set of available prefetches for large NeoGeo games, the latest ROMRC version and ncGUI for Windows - PLUS BootDreams for burning DiscJuggler Dreamcast discs and even a fine selection of some great NeoGeo homebrew games for NeoGeoCD and MVS/AES (arcade/cartridge).

I'll try to update this package whenever time permits, so please leave some comments to help me improving it.
Insane homebrew collector.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer
Has thanked: 0

Post by emptythought »

Can you please include BootDreams 1.0. There's bug fixes and it's about 1 MB smaller.
Christuserloeser

Sorry, will do! I didn't include it because I hadn't really tested it yet (will completly switch over soon I guess) and you didn't even newspost it publically yourself... ;)
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

Christuserloeser wrote:Sorry, will do! I didn't include it because I hadn't really tested it yet (will completly switch over soon I guess) and you didn't even newspost it publically yourself... ;)
No problem. I decided that I'm only going to post news on my site.
Christuserloeser

I had to upload a Bugfixed Version!

- Fixed the AES4All-Test-Disc.cdi (replaced with a working one :roll: )
- Updated BootDreams with brandnew v1.0

Please download again. Sorry for the inconvienience. :oops:
ls650
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by ls650 »

:?:
Over the last day or two I've tried downloading that AES startkit file. The download begins and proceeds at a decent rate of speed, but then dies after about 25% complete. I've tried on a couple of different machines with the same result.

Is there a problem with the file being corrupt, or the server disconnecting?

Edit: Strike that - I just tried again and the complete download did come down the wire! I'm looking forward to trying this out on my DC tonight!
kingbuzzo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by kingbuzzo »

do you have the latest romrc in there?
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

Well, the latest was released a week or so ago, and this kit was released on the second of July. What do you think?
TseTinGFunG
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by TseTinGFunG »

Hey there, i was wondering where i could find the latest information such as version, prefetches, compatiblity etc. I wanted to burn a new neogeo aes disc. I haven't burnt one since early this year and don't reali know the progress and how far this emulator has actually gotten. I've searched but it seems that there isnt much discussion about the emu anymore. None of the sites are up to date and most of the main forums don't discuss neogeo aes anymore. Thanks.
Now Playing - Counter-Strike Dreamcast (CSDC) Beta 5.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

The latest version is always here. It works pretty well with most small games (under 16MB, actually a little less), but those bigger romsets end up crashing constantly, even if they have prefetches (although some do work without many issues like Shock Troopers and Blazing Star IIRC).
TseTinGFunG
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by TseTinGFunG »

Ah I see. Is there such thing as a bigger prefetch? Like a more updated one. I don't really know because the last time i played svc chaos on there it wasnt really playable because of the ingame loading. I thought perhaps the progress of the emulator is now further down the track. Wanted to play kof 2003 or some larger game like that. Would anybody like to give me a description of how well kof2003 runs on the latest version of this emulator.
BaldMonk
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by BaldMonk »

Wow, I finally got around to trying this emulator. Great work... Although some games have weird errors, like Fatal Fury, which runs amazingly well, but then when you play, and get knocked to the far left, you wind up on the far right... Which is very odd.

I hope the next release is switched to Arcade, with Freeplay set, because it's kinda annoying having only 5 credits on Metal Slug, Aero wings and the like.

But man, it runs soooooo damn well.

One other thing, for all those who aren't able to get it working... You MUST use roms from MAME, not from something like NeoRageX... Those won't work.

:) I can't believe it's taken me this long to try it out.
Sonic-NKT
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Sonic-NKT »

i still cant really get this working, ok small games like Aero Fighters 2 oder Puzzle Bubble work great, but i cant get bigger games to work. The have so many slowdown because of loading sprites and sounds in game, and those are games with prefetches...
am i doing something wrong? Mslug2 has a prefetch file but is unplayable imo.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

No, it just works that way. Most big games are indeed unplayable.
Christuserloeser

...then again these games do work perfectly with Neo4All/CD.

Also I got great results with Aero Fighters III, Blazing Star, Metal Slug X, Shock Troopers and the Magical Drop games ! These run just great no matter how big they might be :)

(I gotta update my starter package soon)
RMD
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RMD »

Has this progressed anywhere since its intial proof of concept?
TseTinGFunG
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by TseTinGFunG »

That would be great Chui. Hope you get around to it soon. :wink:
Sonic-NKT
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Sonic-NKT »

yes Metal Slug 1 and 2 work great on CD... Will try those games you talked about Christuserloeser.
btw, is there a compatibility list for this emu? would be a good idea to create one and tell the people whats worth converting and what will be unplayable.
Christuserloeser

Sonic-NKT wrote:btw, is there a compatibility list for this emu? would be a good idea to create one and tell the people whats worth converting and what will be unplayable.
I tried listing those that ran good here:
http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/index.ph ... mmendGames
RMD wrote:Has this progressed anywhere since its intial proof of concept?
Wtf are you talking about ? This basicly plays all smaller games at full speed / full sound - just like Neo4All/CD.

What's not perfect yet, is the MMU/prefetches stuff for loading bigger games. Some do work perfectly (see the ones mentioned in my previous post), others have noticable loading even with prefetches. It depends on the work put into the prefetches.
Afaik the new version that's coming soon will have a far better memory handling and also will allow to use the Dreamcasts video and sound RAM.
RMD
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RMD »

Christuserloeser wrote:
Sonic-NKT wrote:btw, is there a compatibility list for this emu? would be a good idea to create one and tell the people whats worth converting and what will be unplayable.
I tried listing those that ran good here:
http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/index.ph ... mmendGames
RMD wrote:Has this progressed anywhere since its intial proof of concept?
Wtf are you talking about ? This basicly plays all smaller games at full speed / full sound - just like Neo4All/CD.

What's not perfect yet, is the MMU/prefetches stuff for loading bigger games. Some do work perfectly (see the ones mentioned in my previous post), others have noticable loading even with prefetches. It depends on the work put into the prefetches.
Afaik the new version that's coming soon will have a far better memory handling and also will allow to use the Dreamcasts video and sound RAM.
So what you're saying is "no nothing has been added since this orginal method has come out. Thanks for replying as rudly as possable.