UK Broadband DC setup.

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Dran
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

UK Broadband DC setup.

Post by Dran »

Hey all,

I've just imported a Broadband Adapter for my DC from Canada, installed it and am now staring at it trying to find info on the net as to how to set it up to talk to my PC to get to the cablemodem supplied by Telwest.

Does anyone have any idea at all how to do this!

I have downloaded the japanease passport software, also the US browser 2.6 and also have a DCLoadIP disk but still have no idea to setup the DC to connect to anything!

All help would be brilliant! Thanks, Dran.
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

You lucky dog ;)

I believe you can hook your DC up to your PC using a network card on your PC and a standard RJ45 cable and then using your DC to access the internet through your PCs cable modem; theres a tutorial on how to do this floating around somewhere, but I can't remember where...

I think if you do a search through the topics for "accessing internet through PC" or something you might be able to find it; Or perhaps some kind soul will read this and post a link for you

Also, AFAIK, you won't get any significant improvement on any online DC games over here, as all of the online DC games released in the UK run through SEGA Europes servers, and as such you're stuck with that 33k speed BT imposed on us...
Dran
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Dran »

Yes I have it all connected up but all I can find are docs on how to connect to my PC through the phone and not setup the DC Broadband Adapter.

I'm wondering if I'm missing some vital CD that comes with the Adapter to set it up.... not sure.

I know that I won't get any advantage by using it, I just want to use the broadband I have already and forget the modem bill ;)

If anyone knows the URL I'd be grateful!!

Dran
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

Hmm... you mean you already got your DC hooked up to the PC? I *think* thats all you need then - if your PC is hooked up to its cable modem and 'on' the net - have you tried using the DC to try and access a website yet?

I'm pretty sure the broadband adapter 'does exactly what it says on the tin' - its just that, no config CD, as AFAIK the DC BBA replaces the Modem, so your DC just uses the BBA instead of the modem when its trying to 'dial-up'.

Again im not 100% on this... doesn't the BBA actually replace the modem on the DC? I thought it did.... and you've tried accessing the web while your PCs hooked up and everything on your DC?

I'll have a search for you, see if I can find anything - I'm almost *positive* I've seen a post how to do this, but it might be on the 'old' boards - I'll have a look on them and see if I can find out for you
Dran
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Dran »

I have them hooked together and have tried just using it but I don't think that it will just work like that as Windows 2000 would probably need to assign an IP address to the DC to talk to it using DHCP. (Please note that I really don't know but thats what another PC would do)

The BBA does replace the Modem in that port.

Any help with stuff you can look up would be cool!

Cheers. Dran.
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

I spend all this time looking on the 'old' (non public) boards - And I finally find the answers here, on the new one! DOH!

THIS TOPIC should have enough info for you to be getting on with; theres a link to a tutorial site but it looks like there were some probs with using W2K / WinXP to do it...

Check that post, see if its any help, and I guess if its not PM 007 and see if he finally got it working or not - I'm guessing he did as this thread died a death a while ago...
Dran
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Dran »

Additional...
I have tried to play PSO and also access the webstuff (passport) on the PSO disk and the error I get its:

"There is a problem with the telephone connection to Dreamarena. Please check you modem cable is connected to your dreamcast and try again."

There seems to be nowhere to tell it to use broadband.

The message if I play the game is:

Connection to the nework will be made through the Broadband Adapter. BLAH BLAH BLAH Connect to the network now? Yes.
Fill in my games registration serial number.... Confirm it...

Connection Attempt failed.
No BroadBand settings have been configured.
Please configure the network settings by using the broadband software.

This is why I'm missing some vital software as I have no way to configure anything as far as I can tell!

Dran
Dran
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Dran »

Unfortunately that page is for setting up a modem to connect to from the DC to use the PC as a server and not the BroadBand adapter :/
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

Can't you follow the instructions, but substituting using the DC modem with using the DC BBA? If not, sorry man, I'm stumped.

I guess your best bet would be to use the initial ISP configuration on the US Web Browser - but to be honest I can't remember if it had a BBA option or not...

Thats about all I can help you with, if I was you I'd 'bump' this topic every couple of days until someone who actually owns a BBA can let you know how...
Dran
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Dran »

The modem and the DC connect to the PC in different ways so I can't use the same way of connecting unfortunately.... but..... I have found this page:

http://www.daytonsmisc.com/article14_1.htm

Which may hold the key as there is some specific Broadband Passport software that you can download from there. So it may be that I was missing that disk in the first place which is why I cannot configure my BBA to begin with!

I'll keep you informed and thanks for your help!

Dran.
Dran
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Dran »

Worked it out.... really simple in the end.

1) Needed the broadband passport CD to setup the BBA to know what the settings for my network was.
2) Plugged BBA into my network switch.
3) Made sure that Internet connection sharing for Windows 2000 was working on the card that is connected to the Cable Modem. Also that my second network card was connected to the network switch.
4) Put in the IP Address as 192.168.0.0 as the DHCP host for my network as that is what connection sharing sets-up.

(192.168.0.0 to 256 : that IP address range is the standard internal network address range I use)

Windows 2000 now routes all data from the DC thru the Cable Modem in the same way my second PC does.

Fantastic... it all works smothly. Just got to learn to play PSO now!

Dran.
KIngAtRock
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by KIngAtRock »

whoever just got a BBA, you poor poor ba#sta#rd, if ur not a programmer or anything else .. semi productive.. sorry dude.

I remember getting my BBA the monday after the friday release.. for $78 bucks total (shipping).
Worst mistake ever, all it had was the box... and the bba of course no software, sega told me and who knows how many others the .."New Passport cd or web browser" would be out a month later... it wasnt, it never was.

However, this was a big deal before we realized sega would really screw us...

if you're.... fortunate enough to get a copy of PSO (not pso2) JAP then u can surf the web and play pso USA after configuring with JAP version. it saves the info to mem or somethin, anyway

I did this... found the jap version... somewhere.... and surfed the web and connected to PSO!
unfortunately, i'm on PPPOE, it worked with my router/switch/modem (all three) but since PPPOE, one main reason why they never released PSO with bba support... all i could do was join rooms, when no one when in, but peopel could join when i was in... but i couldnt join games... very fun...

THANKS SEGA!
dj898
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by dj898 »

just wondering does anyone used DreamPassport, DreamKey or what ever designed with the BBA support? Only few have built-in BBA support from what I heard and some online game titles
c99koder
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by c99koder »

The BBA replaces the modem, however they are NOT compatible with eachother. The BBA only works with specific titles that support it, such as Quake 3 Arena, PSO, and Broadband Passport. You will need to configure your BBA settings using Broadband Passport (the japanese browser that supports the BBA), or DreamPassport Premier (later version of the Japanese browser, also supports the BBA and has configuration screens for it. This browser was also translated to English if you can find it). PlanetWeb 3.0 (the US browser with BBA support) will NOT configure the shared BBA settings in the Dreamcast's Flash memory -- they use a custom file that's not shared with the other Dreamcast titles.

As for hooking up, why not just get a router and plug everything into that? There's no reason to have to through a PC.
lo
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by lo »

You can use XDP, Outtrigger US version to configure the BBA and some japanese games like Culdcept II have a japanese BBA compatible Browser.

I would prefer a router.
If you run over your PC, try fill in the DNS(s) with the IP of your PC.

Greetz
lo_