The Dreamcast Real Power [pics and videos inside] [+update]

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

Veggita2099 wrote:Although really I haven't seen too many graphically impressive games on the Xbox.
Ninja Gaiden, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Phantom Dust, Outrun 2, Doom3, Cronicles of Riddick
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

Veggita2099 wrote:
Nick wrote:The last two were essentially an answer to all the PS2 hype at the time.

To answer the question at hand, Did the Dreamcast's Power Get Used 100%? No. Reports were that it could potentially render up to 8 million polygons with the correct programming. Most games only pushed up to around 3-5 million, tops. And this was in the best of the best graphical releases for the DC.

I think, if the system was still in production, and developers were still making games for it--big name games, with millions of dollars going into them--they would be comparable to what the best of the current gen has to offer.
I seriously doubt it would compare to the Xbox 360, but seeing the junk that has been released lately cross platform I say it would handle them fine. Get sick of game companies making games with obsolete technology so they run on the PS2 instead of designing them exclusively on Xbox or Gamecube.

Although really I haven't seen too many graphically impressive games on the Xbox. The best looking (graphics wise of course mind you) games I have seen have been Gamecube games such as Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime, etc.

Did you notice that the date I posted on was months before the Xbox 360's launch?
Very sexy hero, omg
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Nick wrote:
Veggita2099 wrote:
Nick wrote:The last two were essentially an answer to all the PS2 hype at the time.

To answer the question at hand, Did the Dreamcast's Power Get Used 100%? No. Reports were that it could potentially render up to 8 million polygons with the correct programming. Most games only pushed up to around 3-5 million, tops. And this was in the best of the best graphical releases for the DC.

I think, if the system was still in production, and developers were still making games for it--big name games, with millions of dollars going into them--they would be comparable to what the best of the current gen has to offer.
I seriously doubt it would compare to the Xbox 360, but seeing the junk that has been released lately cross platform I say it would handle them fine. Get sick of game companies making games with obsolete technology so they run on the PS2 instead of designing them exclusively on Xbox or Gamecube.

Although really I haven't seen too many graphically impressive games on the Xbox. The best looking (graphics wise of course mind you) games I have seen have been Gamecube games such as Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime, etc.

Did you notice that the date I posted on was months before the Xbox 360's launch?

No.......no I did not.....
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

and isn't x-box 360 7th generation which would still be considered next gen till all the 7th gen consoles are released so right now dreamcast is still a current gen pc on the same line as orignal X-box , Poop Station 2 :kiss) and Game Cube
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis »

That's what I think.

I don't think we've officially moved to the 360's generation until the competition has come out as well. DC, GC, Xbox, PS2 are still current gen whereas 360 is still gonna be nextgen until around November when Rev and PS3 arrive.
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

BILAL_XIA wrote:and isn't x-box 360 7th generation which would still be considered next gen till all the 7th gen consoles are released so right now dreamcast is still a current gen pc on the same line as orignal X-box , Poop Station 2 :kiss) and Game Cube
Your sense of wit is truly remarkable.
Very sexy hero, omg
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Time to bring the thread back to life.

I do not have a screen shot showing it's true power instead I have a quote out of an interview with Yu Suzuki I hope it is helpful and could stir up a nice discussion.

IGNDC: Obviously, this indicates that you're able to get a lot more out of the Dreamcast than before. How much further do you think the system can go, graphically?

Suzuki: It depends on software technology, but there's still a lot of space left. Probably, easily, twice the level of Shenmue 1.

IGNDC: Do you think the system can compete with the current level of PlayStation 2 games?

Suzuki: Looking at the current PS2 software at E3, we can do better with the Dreamcast. Of course, PS2 is new, so its games will get better. Not many people are fully utilizing it just yet.
Well so do you think Resident Evil 4 (PS2 version) is twice the level of Shenmue 1 , If not is it less or more.
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

Perhaps so, they might have to cut down on polygons to maintain a solid framerate, but texture wise it would beat the crap out of PS2, as usual :P
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
Arqueiro
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Arqueiro »

I updated the fist page !
3d graphics and visualization ?
http://www.arquiteturadigital.com
Pyrite
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Pyrite »

What game is this?

Last edited by Pyrite on Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
THAN/THEN get it right peoples!
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Looks very interesting!
Insane homebrew collector.
Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Imerion »

Is that Planet Harriers? If I remember right, it was a Naomi-arcade game which was supposed to get a DC release. There was even a video of it included in a japanese DC Demo-CD. However, it was never released, which is a pity, since it looks fantastic and another rail-shooter on the DC could compensate for the fact that Panzer Dragoon never got a DC release...
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Imerion wrote:Is that Planet Harriers?
Yes it is.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Perhaps the broken links could be fixed Arqueiro.

Planet Harrier was not released on any console right?
Darksaviour69
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Darksaviour69 »

BILAL_XIA wrote:Perhaps the broken links could be fixed Arqueiro.

Planet Harrier was not released on any console right?
yeah
Arqueiro
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Arqueiro »

lets try fix these broken image links ? :mrgreen:
3d graphics and visualization ?
http://www.arquiteturadigital.com
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Yaay!!! By the way celebrating this topics 7 month Belated Birthday have we concluded the Dreamcasts True Power yet?
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Yes. It's a lot of power :mrgreen:.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Green Ranger
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Green Ranger »

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but how about Alone in The Dark: The New Nightmare and Evil Dead: Hail To The King? I hear the pre-rendered backgrounds are enough to drool over.
Go Go Power Rangers!!!
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I haved played Evil Dead and loved the shadows of the trees inside the cabin.