Best Genesis/Mega Drive emulator for DC?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
lbm5007
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by lbm5007 »

I didnt mean you two were noobs I meant I was. I really dont know a whole lot aobut the DC.
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

Well, in the latest release I got it working. I think that I was talking about one of the older ones. Oh well. Thanks for letting me know anyways. It's a great game and I appreciate it.

Spreading his inquiries all over the net!

<^_^>
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

No problem man, I also think that game was awesome. I wish the US could have gotten it......oh well though, we can now play it on our DCs!
Have you played dreamcast today?
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

Yeah! BlackAura really knows his stuff, lol. Btw, B.A., I'm sorry for bothering you with a stupid question, but do you happen to know why Shining Force doesn't work? Not that it makes any difference, but this game is the reason why I started playing the Genesis, besides Sonic 2 :wink: , and it doesn't seem as complex as other games that work perfectly. Again, sorry to bother you, but it really IS a fun game!

<^_^>
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

I just tried out what I believe is the latest version of Genesis+.

I'm incredibly impressed!

Rather than talk about what an acheivement this is (I think this is obvious enough) I'm going to talk about issues that you may or may not be aware of. Apologies if they've been covered before.

Since I use an HDTV I'm hooked up via the VGA box. All of the games I tried had a large black border at the bottom of the screen. Is that normal?
tekkaman1
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by tekkaman1 »

I couldn't burn this. I've tried many times. I tried following the instructions. I saw a black screen with some yellow letters on top and some list but the names of the roms were messed up. I tried downloading the plain files and get it to boot with Dreamboot like I did with dreamsnes. But it didn't even boot.
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

Make sure that your your rom names DON'T have spaces in them, and you need to add them to the rom list.

<^_^>
kingbuzzo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by kingbuzzo »

I would ask that any functions with the analog stick be avoided if possble.

I can't speak for everyone, but it'd be awesome to play the games with a saturn pad and adapter ;)
Tiberious
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Tiberious »

Edit 2: After some playing around, I can confirm the following incompatibilities:

Knuckles in Sonic 1 hack: Will Not Run. Period. Neither FAME nor C68K will let it work.

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3: Works in C68K, but not in FAME (FAME: press start to bring up the main menu, and no input is accepted afterwards; can let menu time out and press start again, but once more, no input is accepted). also, strange scrolling of the battleplan 'tower' shows with HW rendering. Works fine (but slow) with SW rendering.

'Ultimate Mortal Kombat Trilogy' (my name for this hack): Game ATTEMPTS to run with C68K on, but SEGA screen from startup loops. Site claims special emulators are needed, and wasn't sure this would run at all, so kudos to the emu for at least TRYING.

Sonic 2 Beta (also applies to Sonic 2 Delta hack): No sound whatsoever. HW rendering causes 'Genecyst Water' issue; water is clear until it completely covers the screen, and then the underwater palette kicks in (Sonic uses some kind of hardware trick to display two sets of 64 colors at once, and the same thig happens for the two-player mode). Also like Genecyst, game locks up tight if two-player split-screen mode is entered.

Sonic 2 Final: Game locks up after title screen. Game is trying to show the Emerald Hill in 2-player VS mode demo, and because of the problem listed with Sonic 2 Beta, the game hangs (music still plays, though).

Sonic 3 Delta (hack): Game refused to load.

-----------------------------Original Post Follows----------------------------

Well, complete newb to the SBI/BootDreams thing, and for the life of me, I cannot get the latest build of this thing to work.

I've made 3 coasters so far, and I have no clue what's going on.

First off, Selfboot Inducer doesn't even want to RECOGNIZE the .sbi, saying something about not finding the proper ZIP file listing or something, so I went in and manually extracted.

Then I got all the ROMs renamed as I wanted them, and made the ROMlist.

Thought I HAD Nero installed, but after a battle with a virus (nastly little fucker, too), it didn't exist, so had to boot to a different copy of XP. Made the first coaster.

Tried BootDreams; tried the burn CDI option. Acted like it wanted to make it, but burned coaster number two.

Tried BootDreams AGAIN, but this time, the Audio/Data CDRecord option. Coaster #3 resulted.

I refuse to make any more coasters until I know exactly what's going on.

....and you wonder why people go ahead and use the 'other' Genesis emulator...

Edit: Figures. Try it right after I write this, and all works wonderfully. *shakes his head and mutters incomprehensibly*
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

poop
Have you played dreamcast today?
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Re: genplus question

Post by Juan »

cbaldwinjr wrote:hey guys...i followed the tutorial for genplus to the letter. when i put it in the dreamcast, it booted up the sbiffy screen, but then listed had a black screen with button options on the top of the screen and a list of the roms i burned on the left. what did i forget?
Uhm... Tried pressing start on one of the roms on the list? :|
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

If there aren't any roms working for you, then that's not the problem. There's the few occational games that don't work, but I'm not sure what your problem is.
RMD
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RMD »

In the future can there be away to dissable sound channels?

The only sound channels most games use are YM2612 & DAC. By being able to disable the othe channels there would be a much improved speed preformance.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

No there wouldn't. When a game's not using a specific sound channel, it's disabled anyway, and the PSG is hardly noticeable. Disabling it would basically get you nothing.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Hmmm, weird.... Try using the plain files with bootdreams.
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

Sorry for intruding, i have a little question:
Wonderboy 5 (MonsterWorld 3) and
Wonderboy 6 (MonsterWorld 4)

crash on the title screen after pressing start, have anyone else had the same issues? is it an emulator problem or my roms are bad?

Thank you in advance