xdp?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

xdp?

Post by mrandyk »

was this ever released? i see talk of it when i search it on google but the website is down. if it is out there somewhere could someone out there post it plz.
DCFreak07
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by DCFreak07 »

Last time I checked the site was up. Check psilocybindreams.com. The first 3 versions were released and supposedly they are working on the fourth but I have checked back since april and haven't seen them put the download up for the fourth version. If you wanna get online your best bet is to go to megagames.com. They have a browser, not sure which one though.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

yea the site i checked was psilocybindreams.com and it just gives me that one error that the site cannot be found. ive got the one planetweb 2.0 browser i wanted to try out the xdp since it seems like a really good browser.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Last I knew, it was no longer allowed to be discussed around here. Not sure if things have changed or not, but it was very hush hush last time there was talk of it.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Arqueiro
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Arqueiro »

Skynet wrote:Last I knew, it was no longer allowed to be discussed around here. Not sure if things have changed or not, but it was very hush hush last time there was talk of it.
this thing will gonna be locked

:twisted:
Last edited by Arqueiro on Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3d graphics and visualization ?
http://www.arquiteturadigital.com
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

why would this get locked? did the xdp people make it illegaly or what?
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

AFAIK it was a modified version of a browser that was being distributed (sold? not sure) officially. It was modified without the consent of the authors of the product and thus could be considerred illegal. That's how I remember it anyway, I could be a bit wrong - it's been a few years.

DCFreak07
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by DCFreak07 »

I didn't think that it was a modified version of Planet Web, but a browser built from scratch, after all it did have better support on most Flash things.
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

DCFreak07 wrote:I didn't think that it was a modified version of Planet Web, but a browser built from scratch, after all it did have better support on most Flash things.
XDP has 2 main clients. A modified DreamPassport and a modified Planetweb.

The Dreampassport has 3 variations. Original, Extended, and MSIE.

So it is in fact a modified version of a commercial product. Don't believe me?
Pop in your XDP3 disc and look at the INI files.
curtis_ray
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by curtis_ray »

i havent posted here in a long while,due mainly to this topic and its issues.

i participated in the creation of PSD,and helped on several xdp releases.

they are works based on original browsers.not creations of our own making.

they are viewed by this message forums as illegal.

other message forums dont view them this way.

to each their own i guess.

xdp is and was brought about by the lack of support from sega for a useable english translation of dreampassport and the unuseability of planetweb in its unedited state with all the errors in it.and also by the lack of ability of the homebrew community to create its own work so that the others wouldnt have to be used any further.(sure the above can be debated as incorrect,as to the ability of the community to create one,but anyone can say they can do it,but just dont have the interest or time..but that is talk..not much else.)

so users took measures into their own hands and worked with what they had.

wrong or right just didnt matter.and still does not matter.

so xdp continues outside this community.where it belongs.where it can flourish.in the hands of a capable person like excalibur007.

those who post here asking where to obtain it are just wasting their time.

look elsewhere for your needs.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

While I don't disagree with you, I hope this doesn't open up that can of worms again. Oh that was such a waste of time the back and forth arguments that went on. :evil:

Anyway, I don't disagree and thought it was quite nifty. But of course it wasn't seen this way. But the rules are the rules. :?

curtis_ray
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by curtis_ray »

couldnt agree more skynet.wasnt looking to get anything going.the topic was started and was never closed.so it was left open for comment and i made mine known is all.

either way xdp or whatever you wanna call it is better off where it is now.
sonicblur
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by sonicblur »

Smurph wrote:So it is in fact a modified version of a commercial product. Don't believe me?
XDP was not modified from the commerical version of DreamPassport. The only version of DreamPassport sold for a profit was DreamPassport Premier. Dreampassport 2.0 and 3.0 were freely available.

Unless things have changed in the 2-3 years that I haven't posted here, the early versions of XDP with BBA support were using the free version of DreamPassport with BBA support that I ripped and donated to them from my own copy of the Japanese version of PSOv2. The browser already had full access to the entire internet, you didn't need to use a special cheat code to access the Jump to URL menu and Ch@btalk. It didn't include any of the features exclusive to the full version, such as access to the DreamLibrary service. The full version of Dreampassport 3.0 did not have BBA support, which is why I offered my copy from PSO.

Therefore, it is as legal to distribute XDP as it is to distribute the Planetweb browsers. (Excluding 3.0, which sucks anyway) Furthermore, ISAO now offers DreamPassport Premier for free. You can request a copy if you live in Japan from their support page here. They only charge 900 yen for shipping and handling. (It converts to about $8 USD, which comparable to what UPS is charging nowadays.)

So unless it's illegal to distribute free software, there's nothing wrong with having a copy of XDP. If you still deem it illegal because Sega owns the rights to the browser which they don't charge for, you may want to consider removing this page from the site:
http://www.dcemulation.org/help/webbrow ... guide..htm

I hope this sheds some light on things, I obviously wasn't around when someone threw a fit and suddenly declared this "illegal."
Anyway, I'll just leave my post at that, since you've already stated people will have to go elsewhere to get the browser.

Edit:
As with the other people above, I'm not trying to re-start any arguments that occured in the past, I'm just stating that unless things have changed since I was last here, XDP wasn't modified from any browsers that Sega profited from.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

sonicblur wrote:
Smurph wrote:So it is in fact a modified version of a commercial product. Don't believe me?
XDP was not modified from the commerical version of DreamPassport. The only version of DreamPassport sold for a profit was DreamPassport Premier. Dreampassport 2.0 and 3.0 were freely available.

Unless things have changed in the 2-3 years that I haven't posted here, the early versions of XDP with BBA support were using the free version of DreamPassport with BBA support that I ripped and donated to them from my own copy of the Japanese version of PSOv2. The browser already had full access to the entire internet, you didn't need to use a special cheat code to access the Jump to URL menu and Ch@btalk. It didn't include any of the features exclusive to the full version, such as access to the DreamLibrary service. The full version of Dreampassport 3.0 did not have BBA support, which is why I offered my copy from PSO.

Therefore, it is as legal to distribute XDP as it is to distribute the Planetweb browsers. (Excluding 3.0, which sucks anyway) Furthermore, ISAO now offers DreamPassport Premier for free. You can request a copy if you live in Japan from their support page here. They only charge 900 yen for shipping and handling. (It converts to about $8 USD, which comparable to what UPS is charging nowadays.)

So unless it's illegal to distribute free software, there's nothing wrong with having a copy of XDP. If you still deem it illegal because Sega owns the rights to the browser which they don't charge for, you may want to consider removing this page from the site:
http://www.dcemulation.org/help/webbrow ... guide..htm

I hope this sheds some light on things, I obviously wasn't around when someone threw a fit and suddenly declared this "illegal."
Anyway, I'll just leave my post at that, since you've already stated people will have to go elsewhere to get the browser.

Edit:
As with the other people above, I'm not trying to re-start any arguments that occured in the past, I'm just stating that unless things have changed since I was last here, XDP wasn't modified from any browsers that Sega profited from.
I think it was (Planetweb I think). At least the menu system was.

But it is still grey area. Even though it is free, there are no actual agreements about redistribution or modification. We would need Sega or someone with the power to say yes or no.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

A quick question. Did xdp or any of the prior versions allow you to use the genesis and tg16 emulators that were embedded into one of the web browsers (don't know which).
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Quzar wrote:A quick question. Did xdp or any of the prior versions allow you to use the genesis and tg16 emulators that were embedded into one of the web browsers (don't know which).
I don't think so. I am very curious about that TG16 emulator but then again I assume that it allowed you to play for five minutes only - just like that Mega Drive / Gensis emulator that came with the Japanese browsers.

My personal opinion about the whole browser issue is basicly that if they've been giving out for free (which there were and even still are - at least here in Europe) it'd be a shame not to host/discuss/support the XDP project.
Insane homebrew collector.
sonicblur
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by sonicblur »

Quzar wrote:A quick question. Did xdp or any of the prior versions allow you to use the genesis and tg16 emulators that were embedded into one of the web browsers (don't know which).
The full versions of DreamPassport Premier and DreamPassport 3 had them, but they had to be rented through the DreamLibrary service for something around a dollar a day. I have no idea if the service is still running today.

Since XDP was based on the PSO browser the emulation features aren't there.
curtis_ray
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by curtis_ray »

i looked at both over a span of time and only noticed that the demo was geared with a time limit,but both emulated the same.

but it should be noted that planetweb and isao both had english and japanese distribution rights..no modifing,etc..even while free they shouldnt be distributed without consent nor modified without consent.

but neither isao nor planetweb enforced these rights.even with ken soohoo ceo of planetweb still selling a limited number of planetweb 3 discs,still hasnt complained one single time about planetweb being customized,distributed or in competition with his for sale version while posting on friendly sites that promote xdp such as consolegaming and even thru thrid party message posting at dcbg the largest dreamcast browser group on the net.

so to me atleast it is more of a technical legality than it is an enforced one.

but im not promoting it either way.just posting on what i am observing now from both browser distributors.

i havent actively did anything dc browser related in a very long time.
curtis_ray
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by curtis_ray »

sonicblur wrote:
The full versions of DreamPassport Premier and DreamPassport 3 had them, but they had to be rented through the DreamLibrary service for something around a dollar a day. I have no idea if the service is still running today.

Since XDP was based on the PSO browser the emulation features aren't there.

like i said been awhile for me,but last i heard,isao.net ceased most if not all of its dc browser related services..dreamlibrary was most likely the first to go..and most likely some time before the other services did like webmail,etc.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

curtis_ray wrote:but neither isao nor planetweb enforced these rights.even with ken soohoo ceo of planetweb still selling a limited number of planetweb 3 discs,still hasnt complained one single time about planetweb being customized,distributed or in competition with his for sale version while posting on friendly sites that promote xdp such as consolegaming and even thru thrid party message posting at dcbg the largest dreamcast browser group on the net.

so to me atleast it is more of a technical legality than it is an enforced one.
The DCEmulation staff contacted PlanetWeb and got an official answer from Ken Soohoo in May 02, 2006. It is illegal to make the browsers available for download, modified or not.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube