Apple to recall 1.8 million notebook batteries

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Apple to recall 1.8 million notebook batteries

Post by Roofus »

SAN FRANCISCO - Apple Computer Inc. will recall 1.8 million lithium-ion notebook batteries after nine devices overheated, causing minor burns in two users, U.S. safety regulators said Thursday.

The recall is the second-biggest in U.S. history involving electronics or computers, after No. 1 PC maker Dell Inc. recalled 4.1 million lithium-ion batteries last week, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said. In both cases the batteries had power cells made by Sony Corp..

Cupertino, California-based Apple will recall 1.1 million batteries sold with notebooks in the United States and 700,000 abroad, the safety agency said. They were sold with Apple iBook G4 and PowerBook G4 computers from October 2003, through this month, according to the safety commission.

Link
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

NEWBS
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

I remember reading about something like this the other day.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

i really dont get it, maybe they should just recall all li-ion batteries. first hp, dell, sony, apple. hmm, i wonder if there is a problem with the tech being used?
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by TyBO »

MKE wrote:i really dont get it, maybe they should just recall all li-ion batteries. first hp, dell, sony, apple. hmm, i wonder if there is a problem with the tech being used?
Funny you say that... I read an article not long ago that was talking about how battery technology hasn't advanced nearly as fast as computer technology. One of the problems it mentioned with creating more powerful batteries is that the more power you try to cram into one, the more dangerous it becomes.

Article

[Edit:] Shoot, you need an account to see it. Oh well..
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

MKE wrote:i really dont get it, maybe they should just recall all li-ion batteries. first hp, dell, sony, apple. hmm, i wonder if there is a problem with the tech being used?
Please note that every single one of the batteries recalled was manufactured by Sony. As if they didn't have enough problems as of late. :lol:
that_guy
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by that_guy »

melancholy wrote:
Please note that every single one of the batteries recalled was manufactured by Sony. As if they didn't have enough problems as of late. :lol:
Yeah no kidding. Way to go Sony.
leileilol
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by leileilol »

for some reason a lot of 1999 laptops were cool in temp
POOPOO
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS »

I think they should start using mini nuclear reactors in laptops, seems to be safer.