Best Genesis/Mega Drive emulator for DC?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
lbm5007
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by lbm5007 »

jessman wrote:Spaces CANNOT be used or else the roms won't appear properly in the list. Also, sub-folders can't be used because the rom list appears on screen and only loads the rom directory up.
I used spaces in my roms list and everything seems to work fine.
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

alb3530 wrote:
Smurph wrote:
alb3530 wrote:Well, i've just tested Sonic 2 and i concluded the crashes happen when the CPU is C68K.In Oil Ocean act 1, when i moved fast through the oil pipes, the game froze 2 times.And if you enable debug code, when you press B to turn into a object, the game (or even the whole thing) crashes
Oddly enough, that doesn't seem to happen with Sonic 2 & Knuckles. I got to Metropolis, but failed on the boss because pink echidnas can't jump.
Did you use C68K when playing Sonic 2&K?Have you tried turning into a object when in debug mode?
Yes, I did use C68K. I don't know any codes for S2&K.
jessman wrote:Spaces CANNOT be used or else the roms won't appear properly in the list. Also, sub-folders can't be used because the rom list appears on screen and only loads the rom directory up.

Spaces just can't be used in the rom filenames.
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

Sigh...That's what I meant when I said that spaces can't be used. What else could I possibly mean?

Spreading his inquiries all over the net!

<^_^>
alb3530
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by alb3530 »

Smurph wrote:
alb3530 wrote:
Smurph wrote:
alb3530 wrote:Well, i've just tested Sonic 2 and i concluded the crashes happen when the CPU is C68K.In Oil Ocean act 1, when i moved fast through the oil pipes, the game froze 2 times.And if you enable debug code, when you press B to turn into a object, the game (or even the whole thing) crashes
Oddly enough, that doesn't seem to happen with Sonic 2 & Knuckles. I got to Metropolis, but failed on the boss because pink echidnas can't jump.
Did you use C68K when playing Sonic 2&K?Have you tried turning into a object when in debug mode?
Yes, I did use C68K. I don't know any codes for S2&K.
At the title screen, press
up up up down down down left right left right

you should hear the sound of a ring.Then hold A and press start.Go to sound test, and play the songs

01 09 09 04 01 00 01 08

you should hear the sound of a ring.Select any stage, holding A button until zone title appears at the screen.Then press B button to turn into an object.
Http_user_agent:
NokiaN80-1/3.0 (4.0623.0.41) Series60/3.0
Profile/MIDP-2.0
Configuration/CLDC-1.1
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

anyone ever successfully hack game genie codes into the the actual genesis rom? I read somewhere that this is not difficult to do. I tried it myself, but the hex information was incorrect for the game i was trying to hex in the game codes to.
Check out the beats of rage community at http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

DcSteve wrote:anyone ever successfully hack game genie codes into the the actual genesis rom? I read somewhere that this is not difficult to do. I tried it myself, but the hex information was incorrect for the game i was trying to hex in the game codes to.
Did you use this? I have it but never used it; with that and a hex editor you should be able to pull it off.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I've done it. In fact, my old Game Genie support in an older version of Genesis Plus worked by patching the ROM file.

You basically need some way to decode the GG code, and then a hex editor to edit it.
alb3530
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by alb3530 »

My brother's done it too, but without using a program, as we don't have a PC.I hope Genesis Plus can have working GG support in the future.Currently the only platform i can use GG codes is in my phone, thanks to PicoDriveS60.The developer of this emulator also added patch support, besides GG.

blackaura: is it hard to implement a stereo/mono sound option, that actually can disable/enable stereo sound emulation?It might be of some use for those people that don't have a stereo tv.
Http_user_agent:
Profile/MIDP-2.0
Configuration/CLDC-1.1
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

yay, it works. *Goes to play Contra Hard Corps with 50 lives*
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

alb3530 wrote:blackaura: is it hard to implement a stereo/mono sound option, that actually can disable/enable stereo sound emulation?It might be of some use for those people that don't have a stereo tv.
Already done - it respects the system setting, so setting the sound mode to mono in the Dreamcast's setup screen will work.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

DcSteve wrote:yay, it works. *Goes to play Contra Hard Corps with 50 lives*
I hope you're using the superior Japanese version. :P
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

Its not necessarily superior, its just much harder. Konami removed the extra life button codes and the life bars for the U.S. Version for some reason.
cristfc
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by cristfc »

BlackAura wrote:
alb3530 wrote:blackaura: is it hard to implement a stereo/mono sound option, that actually can disable/enable stereo sound emulation?It might be of some use for those people that don't have a stereo tv.
Already done - it respects the system setting, so setting the sound mode to mono in the Dreamcast's setup screen will work.
ok, BA :) but, put system setting for mono improves emulation?
thanks
Again, Legendary Levels return!!
alb3530
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by alb3530 »

cristfc wrote:
BlackAura wrote:
ok, BA :) but, put system setting for mono improves emulation?
thanks
I remember some pages ago BlackAura spoke that changing sound to mono from Dreamcast's settings screen will only affect sound output, thus it won't improve the performance.

What i meant was if it's hard to implement a option in the emulator that allows switching sound emulation (not output) to stereo/mono.

What about changing video mode and CPU without having to restart the game?Is it possible to implement?
Http_user_agent:
Profile/MIDP-2.0
Configuration/CLDC-1.1
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

alb3530 wrote:What i meant was if it's hard to implement a option in the emulator that allows switching sound emulation (not output) to stereo/mono.
That distinction isn't really meaningful inside the sound processors. The synthesis channels are individually mono, and you have to emulate all of them or you'll be missing instruments and/or effects.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

alb3530 wrote:What i meant was if it's hard to implement a option in the emulator that allows switching sound emulation (not output) to stereo/mono.
Wouldn't make any difference.
What about changing video mode and CPU without having to restart the game?Is it possible to implement?
As it is right now, no.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

lbm5007 wrote:
then I must be retarded because when I used spaces the rom file appeared fucked up.
Have you played dreamcast today?
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

Dreamcast4life wrote:
lbm5007 wrote:
then I must be retarded because when I used spaces the rom file appeared fucked up.
Yeah, lol. I guess we're both mental and we magically and intentionally screwed up our menus.

Spreading his inquiries all over the net!

<^_^>
lbm5007
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by lbm5007 »

My bad, really don't know too much just a noob being a noob. Sorry fellas.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

ha ha. I am not a noob and neither is jessman we been here a while,so we know about how to burn DC stuff lol.

Hey Jessman did you know rockman the wily wars works on genesis plus! thought you would like to know because in a previous post you said it didn't work but I got it working last night.
Have you played dreamcast today?