ROM List & MP3 troubles on 2nd burn attempt

Anything DreamSNES-related can be asked in this forum, such as general questions about the emulator, how to burn it, etc.
Dr. Doom
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

ROM List & MP3 troubles on 2nd burn attempt

Post by Dr. Doom »

Hi everyone,

I used these forums over 4 years ago to gather information on burning a DreamSNES disk. After all these years, and a scratched up disk, I'm here again.

I followed LyingWake's tutorial stickied at the top of this forum on my 1st attempt (with the exception of using DiscJuggler instead of Alcohol 120%) and I managed to create a DSNES disk that works perfectly. Even the loading of the game list was pretty good considering I had not used a rom list file.

Having tasted success on my 1st try, I thought I would improve my disk. I renamed almost all the roms in my "roms" folder manually to shorten them and eliminate those garish CAPS; I then used krypt's Romlst v1.2 at default settings to create the Roms.lst file in the "roms" folder. (Note: I set the program to "Read descriptions from filenames" and I did NOT check the "Truncate filenames at 31 chars" option)

The only other change I made was removing the "bubghost.mp3" file from the "sound" folder and inserting my own MP3 file (Guile's theme!!!).

When I let the disk run on my DC, the music doesn't play and it reboots my DC as soon as the anime chick is visible. If I go into any other menu besides the game list, the DC reboots after a few seconds.

If I manage to get into my game list before it reboots, the actual loading of the list is extremely slow (about 3-4 seconds per rom); much slower than my old disk which simply read the rom headers. Besides this, a handle of the roms are still coming up with their old CAPS names and not the way I renamed them. Once the list is fully loaded, navigating between pages is extremely slow as well.

I may be off (as I'm technically still a n00b), but I think it must be one of three things:

1. Renaming the roms before using Romlst12 somehow screwed up the Rom.lst file. Or perhaps I used the wrong options in Romlist12...

2. The MP3 change is screwing something up; either the MP3 is bad (which I doubt because it plays on PC and iPod) or the naming scheme of the MP3 is at fault (I have it named as "artist - song.mp3).

3. I didn't use a No_Roms.here file anywere on the disk. Maybe when using a Roms.lst file, using No_Roms.here files in other directories becomes necessary?

The only other possible difference I can think of between attempt #1 and attempt #2 was that I accidentally burned #1 at 32x (which did not seem to affect the disk at all). For #2, I burned at 4x.

I apologize for the long post, but I'm hoping that a thorough description will remove any confusion and aid someone in effectively diagnosing the problem with my 2nd disk.

Hopefully someone here can provide some insight that will make attempt #3 perfect!
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

possible reason for all caps is that on the CD, the filenames ARE in fact caps. use the -J option with mkisofs. bublghost.mp3 might be required to have on teh CD, I don't know. Haven't used DSNES in like a year.
lbm5007
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Re: ROM List & MP3 troubles on 2nd burn attempt

Post by lbm5007 »

Yo Doc. I think the problem may be with your MP3. When I burnt Dream SNES i removed the song and put Simon and Garfunkel that sound of silence as my song (one of my favs), but anyway after the song finishes playing after the four minutes or whatever while at the rom selection screen the disc resets and I have to wait for the DSNES to reboot. I would try changing the song and see if that has anything to do with it before you spend a lot of time making big changes like renaming all your files again or something like that.
curtis_ray
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by curtis_ray »

always use a no_roms.here file in each directory except roms..i was told only in sound,but doesnt hurt to add it to all but roms..also KEEP your mp3 and just rename it to bubghost.mp3.also be sure to keep your roms to the suggested number of roms(although dsnes can handle more..the suggested number makes things quicker and may avoid some othe issues you mention..)in the dsnes readme file.check to see that your rom headers match the names you changed them to..i suggest a hex editor to change the rom headers title wise.