How do you burn a file that isn't in the NesterDC database?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
The Grammar Police01
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How do you burn a file that isn't in the NesterDC database?

Post by The Grammar Police01 »

i had a bunch of games, but the one I REALLY wanted (mario's adventure) wouldn't burn because it wasn't in the database, or something.

is there any way around this?
strn
bentodd
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by bentodd »

If you can't get it to work try Nesterdc 7.1

go here

http://www.consolevision.com/members/sbiffy/files/

download selfboot inducer 4

click on emus

find nesterdc7.1pb.sbi

download it

run selfboot inducer 4

follow the instructions. It is very simple. This version even has light gun support.
curtis_ray
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by curtis_ray »

NesterDC 7.1 is better,easier to assemble and use just because of the "compatibility database" crap..
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

I haven't actually tried NesterDC SE, but from the comments I've read, it sounds like it should be fairly easy to modify the database to include any and/or all games. Either for Scherzo or whoever is hosting it or for the enduser after they've downloaded everything. It's all just in XML, right?

You won't have any box or cartridge shots (obviously enough for something like Mario Adventure), but you could just put in some dummy pictures or screenshots or something (possibly there's even mock-ups of boxes or cartridges in the case of Mario Adventure).

Ideally, someone should set up a database with all known NES ROMs and just use placeholder screens and pictures for all the games that aren't in the existing database. Failing that, though, someone who knows more about NesterDC SE should just write a tutorial for how to add games to compilations already made from the existing database. It can't be any harder than adding games to Dream Inducer and there's lots of tutorials for that.

I think the fact that you can't use whatever ROMs you have is a *HUGE* gaping hole in NesterDC SE. Personally hacks (most of SMB and SMB3) and the obscure pirate games that I assume aren't in the database either are the main reasons I would have for using an NES emulator.

...word is bondage...
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

GoodNES 3.10 is out, so there's even more games that wouldn't be recognized by SE's builder.
ryan_n_waggoner
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by ryan_n_waggoner »

So, does anyone definitively know of a way to add images (screenshots and the like) to your NesterDC files before burning? I've thought about trying, but I wasn't sure how the numbering scheme worked. Even barring pirates/hacks, it'd be nice to have the proper box and cart image come up for Super Mario Bros 2 (Japan). It tends to confuse friends when the 'Mario Madness' box comes up on the screen, but they go to play the game, and it's "Lost Levels".

It'd be really nice to be able to add files to the database, but excepting that, I could live with only adding them to my own disc. However, there's no reason why some games not even screen/title shots are available in the database.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Slightly OT but with DreamScript, Scherzo released a 'tool' that allows you to modify the menu itself by testing it on PC:

http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewto ... reamscript

...so that means that you could use a file lister instead of browsing the manuals/boxart/etc.
Insane homebrew collector.