Best Genesis/Mega Drive emulator for DC?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DcSteve »

on my wishlist:

1) Working SRAMtoVmu Saving

2) Adding the genesis plus dc best menu theme out there right now (Lyris in the art forums)

3) Clearing sound buffer after each game is exited. (Sound continues from game upon exit).
Check out the beats of rage community at http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

ok here is what i get trying to make a selfboot or a SBI of my own. Tell me why its doing this

wtf, why isn't it creating a SB image!?!?!
Have you played dreamcast today?
johnson
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by johnson »

I'd add shmup fixes...

many vertical shmups have bad graphics. Raiden Trad, Fire Shark, Phelios, and a few others have no borders or blacked out sections of screen.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

DcSteve wrote:1) Working SRAMtoVmu Saving
I'll see what I can do, but be aware that it flat out will not work with FAME. The SRAM code is all in place for C68k (except for the final step of reading and writing to the VMU), but there's nothing for FAME. I wanted to fix the thing before I started breaking it again.
2) Adding the genesis plus dc best menu theme out there right now (Lyris in the art forums)
I'll second that. Even if it doesn't quite have all the cool features we were planning, it'd still be a damned nice thing to have.
3) Clearing sound buffer after each game is exited. (Sound continues from game upon exit).
I'm sure I had already fixed that, but apparently not. Isn't too difficult anyway.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

I so want to try this but no one wants to help me :cry:
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Try burning the disc with BootDreams instead.

By the way, I can't get WT's source release to work. It just hangs on a black screen, for no apparent reason.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

well the main problem is I can't make a image with the current release, I get some error with a bunch of numbers during the converting to image process. I tried converting it to ALL formats but for some reason it just won't do it :(. btw if you wanna see what I mean scroll up on this page.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

the error happends when It loads bin2boot, any thoughts?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

bin2boot is a useless pile of garbage. It just plain doesn't work on most modern machines.

You best bet is to use BootDreams to build the image. The latest version has a new CDI image generator, which works far better (and faster) than bin2boot.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

I have tried to use bootdreams and here is what I get
now what?
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

well its not the GP that is not working but for some reason every one of these programs seems to go to "bin2boot" and when that happends THIS IS WHAT I GET
I tried using Selfboot,SBInducer v3 and 4.Boot dreams and they all give me an error. this is the first time I ever and i do mean EVER had a hard time making a Image to burn a emulator. since I tried everything to get it working and no one seems to know what that error is, I give up. No more DC software goodnes for me, the dream is over. I can't make any images PERIOD. I tried for 9 hours now trying to get it to convert gpwt along with my roms to a Cdi,NRG dao or tao. I just keep getting the same error. tis sad that a day of good genesis emulation to come to the scene and my computer doesn't wanna work for me. was fun while it lasted. :cry: :cry: :cry:
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

DcSteve wrote:OK, so I just tried the latest version with the C68k CZ80 Optimization. THIS VERSION IS FAR BETTER. Many games run much much smoother. This last build should be newsposted for its accomplishments. THANK YOU BA AND WARMTOE. Ive been waiting years for this build. Also, thank you quzar for your information contribution.
Which version? Can someone please help me out here? I'm searching around and the latest that I've seen is the one with improved region selection and a complier.

Spreading his inquiries all over the net!

<^_^>
Warmtoe
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Warmtoe »

BlackAura wrote:Using 320x240 mode used to fix that. I don't know if WT's builds are using 320x240 or 640x480. In the last build I gave Warmtoe (the one these builds are based on) 320x240 looked fuzzy because of the deflicker filter. My current builds use 320x240 and disable the deflicker filter, so they look fine.
Hmmm - OK, I ripped out the 'HIGH_RES' compiler flag, and I always use high-res mode (640x480) - I tried refitting the lo-resolution mode, but I screwed that up too, the screen ends up showing the top half of the screen with lines between each line - I know it's a simple fix, but I can't think what to do at the moment - any help?

I turned back on LFO.

Did some other minor fiddling.

If I can get the emulation to run in lo-res mode, perhaps that will bring up the speed some.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Low-res mode will only help games that are limited by the PVR. I only know of two (Zero Wing and Sonic 3), and neither of those are affected in-game. Probably not worth the hassle.

The low-res mode also needs to adjust all the multiplications in the renderer (all the "*16"s need to become "*8"s).
Warmtoe
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Warmtoe »

BlackAura wrote:Low-res mode will only help games that are limited by the PVR. I only know of two (Zero Wing and Sonic 3), and neither of those are affected in-game. Probably not worth the hassle.

The low-res mode also needs to adjust all the multiplications in the renderer (all the "*16"s need to become "*8"s).
Hmmmm - fair enough, just can't work out what I screwed up is all.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

must be nice to enjoy genesis on the DC right now but SINCE MY COMPUTER IS GAY, I CANT! I been trying to get this along with other emu to convert and it still wont do it, I keep getting the general fault yet, I just wish someone had the same problem and fixed it. so I could fix it as well and enjoy DC software. no one truly knows how heart breaking this is!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

Well, the BIN file that BA posted won't boot for me at all. Maybe try using an older version SBI file?

Spreading his inquiries all over the net!

<^_^>
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

well I was wondering if it was the emulator but it seems as if all my converting programs are dead. For instance, Every darn coverting programs uses "bin2boot" and usually every time you go there the IP flag is set and then it converts to the format you have chosen......NOT WITH ME HOWEVER. the problem I have is it wont convert period. I have a stupid error that says "exiting due to sigsegv" and "general protection fault at eip=000127df" and then abunch of other garbage that I don't understand. I been sitting here for 8 hours trying to fix this problem (seriously) I too thought it was the BIN but I tested other emulators and my eyes don't decieve me, I get the same damn error. I would do anything to get this problem taken care of in some way or I can never enjoy current DC emulation again.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

The public version of BootDreams doesn't have cdi4dc support yet, but a private beta does which you can grab here. That should fix the problem's you're getting win bin2boot.
G-Man44
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by G-Man44 »

I got the gpwt plain files and put about 50 or so roms in the ROMS folder and followed the directions on using the list compiler (changing extension to .TXT, replacing : with a space, etc.). I used Boot Dreams .61 and it boots up fine. I can use the buttons to change the settings on the emu, and the list of roms looks good, but when i select any rom and press start, nothing happens.I tested the roms on my GENS emu for the pc, and they all work fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as i am anxious to give this thing a go. Thanks in advance. I also tried another controller, and still nothing.