Dream Explorer (VMU Tool) v0.8.5 released !

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
SiZiOUS
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Dream Explorer (VMU Tool) v0.8.5 released !

Post by SiZiOUS »

VMU Tool - Dream Explorer 0.8.5 has just been released!

VMU Tool - Dream Explorer is an application for the Dreamcast that allows you to explore the content of your VMU, PC, and CD/GD, and open their files in the numerous bundled tools.
Read the full description on this page.

New version fixes many bugs, improves menus graphics and implements new features.
The list of changes from version 0.8.0 can be found on this page.

The CD image includes almost 6000 VMU saves, 400 Shenmue VMU Goodies, 130 VMU games, 350 VMU icons, 32 new wallpapers and 9 new musics.

Download VMU Tool - Dream Explorer 0.8.5 in the format of your choice on the downloads page.

Source : DC-France
Original source : Blue Swirl
Last edited by SiZiOUS on Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by emptythought »

Does the CD image work? The files on the CD seem to be corrupted somehow.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

I didn't test the image on a Dreamcast since I don't own one right now but I got this reply from speud about the CD image.
speud wrote:As mentionned on the downloads page the image works and can't be mounted or explored.
speud wrote:That's just because the image uses a special format, files are readed correctly in Dream Explorer but not by PC explorers.
hrb2k3
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by hrb2k3 »

i tested it last night, and it looks amazing. one of the cool features is that you can edit the codes in your Gameshark CDX save. i'll mess with this a little more and try to find some bugs.

btw, i was able to mount this with some software and rip files from it. and it worked.
DC FoReVeR.!!!
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

I mounted it too, but all the files were bad (they wouldn't open right and were 4 KB).
hrb2k3
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by hrb2k3 »

not for me. i ripped the shenmue wallpaper, opened it in XnView fine.
DC FoReVeR.!!!
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

What did you use to mount\rip it?
hrb2k3
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by hrb2k3 »

i can't tell you. my vmu saves are on the cd, too. so i guess its a bad idea for me to tell you.
DC FoReVeR.!!!
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

I didn't realize speud purposly made that image like that. Anyway thanks, I guess.
SiZiOUS
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by SiZiOUS »

hrb2k3 wrote:i can't tell you. my vmu saves are on the cd, too. so i guess its a bad idea for me to tell you.
Yes i believe it's a copy protection, and i think you shouldn't write the method you used in public, for respecting speud.
Tonfa
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Tonfa »

I have my own odd question for this tool. It's concerning a hex edit, and I hope this falls within rules. If not, I apologize profusely.

I select a saved game file for something on the sms emu. I want to edit it for more money. Now, I've found a so called guide to the game in question, I look up the supposed section dealing w/ money.

I edit it, load my saved game in the emu, nothing. No change that I can even see. I'm not sure what I've done wrong, or how to find the money value.

I have 546 credits in the game. I'd not really be worried about even hexing it, but as I was on my fifth hour of playing the rpg last night, the power went out at my Ma's where I was housesitting. Obviously, I don't feel like redoing all that.

Anyways, the supposed value I need to look for is Meseta = 0547, 0548. It tells me to turn that to FF (255). Doing that to both, did nothing. In short, can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong? I have noticed this hex editor doesn't seem to do letters, just numbers. At least, if it does letters, the readme doesn't show it as such.

Any help at all would be appreciated.
Tonfa
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Tonfa »

1504 through 1508 are the correct address, according to most hex editors. This hits the money range. As you know, the hex editor included in this doesn't list anything up that high in my saved game. It maxes out at 0x005FF.

So, if I knew what 1504-1508 translated to in this hexeditor, I'd be all set. Anyone?
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

A little tip speud taught me was to use Calculator if you need to deal with hex/binary/decimal conversion. The address you need to look for is 0x005E0 through 0x005E4.
Tonfa
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Tonfa »

Thank you for the advice. I altered 0x005E0 through 0x00534 and changed them to FF. Still no luck, however.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

Anyways, the supposed value I need to look for is Meseta = 0547, 0548. It tells me to turn that to FF (255). Doing that to both, did nothing. In short, can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong? I have noticed this hex editor doesn't seem to do letters, just numbers. At least, if it does letters, the readme doesn't show it as such.
Assuming 0547 and 0548 are hex values [it should be bytes 1351 through 1352].
1504 through 1508 are the correct address, according to most hex editors. This hits the money range. As you know, the hex editor included in this doesn't list anything up that high in my saved game. It maxes out at 0x005FF.
Where are you getting 1504 through 1508 from?
Thank you for the advice. I altered 0x005E0 through 0x00534 and changed them to FF. Still no luck, however.
Try changing the values for 0x00547 and 0x00548 to FF.
Tonfa
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Tonfa »

fackue wrote:
Assuming 0547 and 0548 are hex values [it should be bytes 1351 through 1352].
Where are you getting 1504 through 1508 from?
Try changing the values for 0x00547 and 0x00548 to FF.
The hex value thing on 547-548, I'm pretty sure that's about it.

The other thing, 1504 through 1508, I got from an sms emu forum where someone claimed that's the addy range he hexed to give him full money in game.

I tried 0x00547, as per my original post. It, nor 0548 worked. I'm at a loss.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

I'm not sure then.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

I got an email from speud saying the save from SMSPlusDC is most likely different from the one you're comparing it to. You might like to know that the actual game save data starts after the VMS header 0x00280 (byte 640). The save is most likely compressed too, but I don't know how you'd go about working with that...

If you wanna read more on how to use the hex editor within Dream Explorer, check this out.

speud also mentioned that if you're still running into problems you can contact him by email. His email address is in the readme for Dream Explorer.
Tonfa
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Tonfa »

fackue wrote:I got an email from speud saying the save from SMSPlusDC is most likely different from the one you're comparing it to. You might like to know that the actual game save data starts after the VMS header 0x00280 (byte 640). The save is most likely compressed too, but I don't know how you'd go about working with that...

If you wanna read more on how to use the hex editor within Dream Explorer, check this out.

speud also mentioned that if you're still running into problems you can contact him by email. His email address is in the readme for Dream Explorer.
Thank you heaps for this information, and thank you Speud as well. I'll email him sometime tonight, I'd love to get all this figured out. I had a silly notion that if I get this to work, maybe I can see about starting a list of hex edits for same games for emu's someplace. If that breaks rules then I'll forget it. I just figure, if I learn something, might as well share it with everyone and contribute something.
bucanero
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by bucanero »

fackue wrote:I didn't realize speud purposly made that image like that. Anyway thanks, I guess.
IMHO this whole "copy-protection" stuff its just plain bad for the DC community... not cool at all.
I could understand it if it was a commercial software (like bleemcast discs), but if its freeware, then it does not have much sense at all.

and btw, its really easy to get the files from the image, using just a couple of widely available disc image tools.

and it would be nice if speud shared the source codes too... so anyone can continue his work if he can't keep working on it in a future.

c ya