Neo4All/AES FAQ & Tutorial !

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
monk
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by monk »

ok, this gets more retarded by the minute, I swear... *dies*

Alcohol 120% won't let me pick TAO no matter what I try. (I even tried fooling around with making a seperate data type for DC, added TAO to the list, it still won't let me pick it, maybe I'm just a moron and can't use this program)

BootDreams refused to burn anything until I got aspi drivers. I put in what I believe are the current adeptec ones for win2k... now BootDreams only wants to recognize a virtual drive that Alcohol 120% added to my system.. so I have Alcohol remove the drive.. try BootDreams again.. now it says I don't have a cd drive. I look down, wondering, and note that clearly my drive still exists...

WTF, man... should I just crawl under my bed and give up? This is pathetic.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

monk wrote:...should I just crawl under my bed and give up?
No, try ForceASPI:
Download: http://www.consolevision.com/members/fa ... ASPI17.zip
Info: http://www.consolevision.com/members/fa ... eams.shtml
Insane homebrew collector.
monk
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by monk »

yay and boo.

ok, force ASPI worked, and BootDreams was finally able to write a disc (after some tinkering... ) Burning a .cdi made another dud..

I tried using CDRecord, with audio/data option... success! The disc boots, emu starts. I think the problem with all the other attempts was that it was writing the data track first... this is a serious flaw...

Now, the next problem... *sigh* After selecting a game and loading, I just get a blank black screen... nothing happens...
I thought maybe I was missing some files, so I reread some older posts, tried again, this time including what I thought was missing, burn another disc (I'm up to like 9 coasters now, ouch) and same problem. Disc boots like it should, emu starts up, I can select a game.. it loads.. nothing happens.

Is this bad roms? missing files?

Also, if I just made a disc of converted .aes roms, could I swap it in once the emulator is started up? Would I have to include any files besides just the roms? I'd rather not have to keep doing this.. if the problem is my roms for some reason, I could just try converting different ones.. but.. I dunno.. I feel better now that I'm in the right direction.. but damn.. this is getting really tricky.
Christuserloeser

You could do a ROM disc, Nero works fine for e.g. multi-session discs. No special settings needed.

But you could also try your converted .AES files with the Win version of Neo4All.

Try again with burning a downloaded CDI (from i.e. http://www.DCEvolution.net ;) ) - just for the fun of it, you must have been doing sth. wrong because it definitly should work if CDRecord works.
monk
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by monk »

ok, I'll try that. Oh, I did try running the windows version to test my converted roms, and it just crashes every time so far. I thought maybe this was a bug or I did something wrong and maybe it wouldn't apply to playing on DC....

edit -

converted a few more roms, mostly smaller old ones that should work fine, again, the win version just crashes after loading each time. I have a feeling this will just keep happening if I burn more discs for DC..

Also, couldn't find a cdi image where you were talking about. At this point I have little clue what I might be doing wrong again... from the way people talk about this as if it's some easy thing that works for everyone, and then for me to have problem after problem every step of the way.. oi. I feel like you're being too nice even replying to me now, I might be a lost cause... :|
Christuserloeser

You need NeoGeo MAME ROM sets, best are some older ones. Newer ones work too in most cases tho. The list with the recommend games should help you getting started.

Also did you try the Neo4All/CD version ?

Here are those CDIs I was talking about from DCEvolution.net:

http://dcevolution.net/cgi-bin/download ... DEPNES.rar
http://dcevolution.net/cgi-bin/download ... DEPv1b.zip
http://dcevolution.net/cgi-bin/download ... on%202.rar

You can find them while browsing our site's sections (left menu) and click on the right menu where it says DOWNLOADS ;)
ytsejam
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Some questions:

Post by ytsejam »

I'm pretty new to Neo4All/AES. I have it burned and it looks like i got it just about right. But i have a few questions:

1) Where is the Neo4All/AES FAQ? All I see is the tutorial.

2) Metal Slug X plays quite choppy for me. Even playing it directly after a reset. Anyone know why it's choppy?

3) This might be a silly question, but when you're done playing a game, how do you get back to the main menu without resetting the DC?

Thanks everyone.
"trying to wake, from this daydream of illusion."
ytsejam
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

One more...

Post by ytsejam »

One more question:

Can you rename your AES game files? Will it still load and play properly?

thanks!
"trying to wake, from this daydream of illusion."
Christuserloeser

1) There's none, just the tutorial. I'm just to stupid to differentiate between a FAQ & a tutorial.

2) Metal Slug X plays fine if you exclude (delete) the unneccessary menu data (check the tutorial) before burning your disc. Most other games run better too (all the bigger ones).

3) Press L for 0,5 sec.

4) Yes.
Vlame
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Vlame »

can you change the button config?
Sora Aoi, DoB : Nov. 11/83
Three #s : B35 [F Cup]-W23-H33
Ht : 5"1', Wt : She Ain't Telling
Eyes : Brwn, Hair : Brwn
Natural Bust : Disputed, Blood Type : B
Sexual Orientation : Heterosexual, Stage Names : Sola Aoi
rangrisser
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by rangrisser »

Thanks chui~! for neo4all/aes beta version!!
Anyway does anyone know how to make aes file with these bios files(000-lo.lo asia-s3.rom sfix.sfx sm1.sm1 sp1.jipan.1024 sp-e.sp1 sp-j2.rom sp-s2.sp1 sp-s.sp1 usa_2slt.bin vs-bios.rom)without ng-lo,ng-sfix two files?
And will it be possible make such like ncGuI program?? :cry:
Christuserloeser

000-lo.lo = ng-lo.rom
sfix.sfx = ng-sfix.rom

;)

All other files you listed are -not- needed to convert your ROMs.

What you're missing though would be 'aes-bios.bin', please use http://www.Google.com
Link
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Link »

Hi,

Ok, I know this is a rather odd question. Where do I put the Romrc file? In a certain folder or in the root, or is it even supposed to be on the disk? The reason I ask is I am getting a lot of pausing while in battle to load stuff and was wondering if maybe since I didn't put the romrc file on the disk if that was it. Thank you very much for any help at all :)

Your Brother in the DCemu scene,
Link
Christuserloeser

Hi.

The ROMRC hasn't anything to do with the loading times. (You just need it to convert your MVS ROM sets to AES files with Convertneo or ncGui.)

You likely get the pausing because the game you're trying is very huge.

The only thing that can be done against that would be to have prefetches for the game. They go in /CONVERTNEO/PREFETCHES/

Otherwise, if no prefetch is available, it's really smaller games below 25 MBytes that run perfectly.

For games bigger than 25 MByte without prefetch, it'd be better to play them with Neo4All/CD (if a CD version exists that is).

Btw, there are some new prefetches available (Thanks to Merp):
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showth ... 275&page=3
Merp wrote:Hey, I thought I would just randomly pop up and give you all new prefetches.

Enjoy. :mrgreen:

aof2
aof3
breakrev
magdrop2
magdrop3
mslug
mslug2
Tiberious
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Tiberious »

I'm trying to convert Fatal Fury Special, but it keeps dying on me when testing.

I have all the bios files where they need to be, even with the 64K ng-lo.rom in place...

All I end up getting is a green screen, even with all the original ROMs.

(for the record, if possible, I'd like to get a hacked version working, where Ryo's playable)

I've even gone as far as to make sure the ROM names match exactly.

What exactly am I doing wrong?
Christuserloeser

For me it worked perfectly. Are you playing on Windows or Dreamcast ? Windows test results aren't necessarily identical to those on the DC version.

Also, what's the name of your ROM set exactly ?

For me it sounds like you got an encrypted ROM or sth like that (I'm no expert when it comes to MAME ROMs...) but I assume an older MAME ROM set of FFS will work.