Pentagon lists homosexuality as disorder

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Pentagon lists homosexuality as disorder

Post by APE »

http://tinyurl.com/funo5

Code: Select all

WASHINGTON - A
Pentagon document classifies homosexuality as a mental disorder, decades after mental health experts abandoned that position.

The document outlines retirement or other discharge policies for service members with physical disabilities, and in a section on defects lists homosexuality alongside mental retardation and personality disorders.

Critics said the reference underscores the Pentagon's failing policies on gays, and adds to a culture that has created uncertainty and insecurity around the treatment of homosexual service members, leading to anti-gay harassment.
The pentagon doesn't have the power to declare disorders.
Last edited by APE on Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

It sounds like this is just some copied/pasted cruft from the 1950s/60s that never got updated.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

like most of the current administration
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

If attention deficit in American public schools is a disorder, so is homosexuality. And heterosexuality.

So very much of psychology is bullshit. I really don't think they should be calling it a science.

See http://www.arachnoid.com/psychology/index.html for an excellent article on the subject by Paul Lutus, of whom I am a great fan.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Re: Pentagon lists homosexuality as disorder

Post by Covar »

APE wrote:http://tinyurl.com/funo5

Code: Select all

WASHINGTON - A
Pentagon document classifies homosexuality as a mental disorder, decades after mental health experts abandoned that position.

The document outlines retirement or other discharge policies for service members with physical disabilities, and in a section on defects lists homosexuality alongside mental retardation and personality disorders.

Critics said the reference underscores the Pentagon's failing policies on gays, and adds to a culture that has created uncertainty and insecurity around the treatment of homosexual service members, leading to anti-gay harassment.
The pentagon doesn't have the power to declare disorders.
it does for the military. the military also has additional laws that apply to us.
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Post by AgentGreen »

jaredfogle wrote:If attention deficit in American public schools is a disorder, so is homosexuality. And heterosexuality.

So very much of psychology is bullcrap. I really don't think they should be calling it a science.

See http://www.arachnoid.com/psychology/index.html for an excellent article on the subject by Paul Lutus, of whom I am a great fan.
You mean Paul Lutus thinks they should be calling it a science, right? Graduate high school, lay off the drugs, and form an opinion not based off the ramblings of a douche who's basing his view off very narrow-spread incidents.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

AgentGreen wrote:
jaredfogle wrote:If attention deficit in American public schools is a disorder, so is homosexuality. And heterosexuality.

So very much of psychology is bullcrap. I really don't think they should be calling it a science.

You mean Paul Lutus thinks they should be calling it a science, right? Graduate high school, lay off the drugs, and form an opinion not based off the ramblings of a douche who's basing his view off very narrow-spread incidents.
Did you read the link? Your entire response indicates otherwise.

Paul Lutus is of the opinion that psychology is not a science, and he is not a rambling douche. Former aerospace engineer (who still works with NASA when they're using his equipment) turned software engineer.

I've studied psychology fairly well, I know what I am talking about. You just seem to be name-calling.

Ah! I just saw who I was responding to. Your new avatar threw me off, AG. You're hopeless, but I already wrote the response thinking you were someone else, so I'll still give it to ya.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

Hey Toastman, come sit on the other side of the fence on this one.

This place is gettin boring.
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Post by AgentGreen »

An aerospace/software engineer is, like a druggie high-schooler who claims to have studied psychology when really he reads the ramblings of douches speaking in disciplines they don't hold authority in, not a qualified expert on psychology and his field of vision on the subject is based on some ludicrous things that a number of psych majors and professors think are nutty.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

I spent two semesters in a college level psychology course, doing a good deal of outside reading on my own motivation (which has continued beyond the course, I might add).

Please tell me whether you have read the article or not.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

jaredfogle wrote:Hey Toastman, come sit on the other side of the fence on this one.

I'll bite.

The Pentagon has the authority to declare whatever it wants. So do I. Doesn't mean half a shit to anyone.

AgentGreen, you really need to at least skim the links people post so you don't look like an ass.

jaredfogle, you are still not an authority on the subject, at least not enough to be denouncing from on high.

Psychology is way too garbed in bullshit. Maybe if we strip away all the cruft it has accumulated, it will be useful.

I wouldn't worry, because in about 12,000 years time Hari Seldon will lay down the mathematical foundation of psychohistory and make us all look like fools.

Have I offended everyone so far?
Cool.
I'm out.
No signature.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

toastman wrote:
jaredfogle wrote:Hey Toastman, come sit on the other side of the fence on this one.

I'll bite.

The Pentagon has the authority to declare whatever it wants. So do I. Doesn't mean half a crap to anyone.

AgentGreen, you really need to at least skim the links people post so you don't look like an ass.

jaredfogle, you are still not an authority on the subject, at least not enough to be denouncing from on high.

Psychology is way too garbed in bullcrap. Maybe if we strip away all the cruft it has accumulated, it will be useful.

I wouldn't worry, because in about 12,000 years time Hari Seldon will lay down the mathematical foundation of psychohistory and make us all look like fools.

Have I offended everyone so far?
Cool.
I'm out.
I may not be an "authority" on the subject, but I am better educated than the person I'm talking to (I assume).

Why does authority even matter so much? Look at what I said, not who said it.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

Authority in this context means "an individual cited or appealed to as an expert." You are not an expert. I'd wager that no one here is.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

Roofus wrote:
Authority in this context means "an individual cited or appealed to as an expert." You are not an expert. I'd wager that no one here is.
Agreed. A couple of classes on a subject does not give you enough knowledge to make as bold of a statement as you have. Perhaps if you had a degree in the area of psychology we might care what you have to say, but knowing your age and your tendancy to indulge in drug usage, I am inclined to believe you are talking out of your ass when you post.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

butters wrote:
Roofus wrote:
Agreed. A couple of classes on a subject does not give you enough knowledge to make as bold of a statement as you have. Perhaps if you had a degree in the area of psychology we might care what you have to say, but knowing your age and your tendancy to indulge in drug usage, I am inclined to believe you are talking out of your ass when you post.
Why do I get the feeling that if I changed my handle, sig, and avatar you guys would listen a little better when I talk? The "bold statement" was that "So very much of psychology is bullshit." Which drug-free, older than me Toastman said almost precisely the same way (his wording offers separation between Legitimate Psychology and the bullshit--they're more like two sides of the same coin in mine).

Maybe the "bold statement" was that "I really don't think they should be calling it a science." No matter how bold that statement may be, how it might seem completely inaccurate to you, I do hold the highest authority and expertise in the field of my own goddamned thoughts.

As for the issue itself, psychology's legitimacy as a science, I turned the reins over to a man who holds great authority in the scientific community and who has written an excellent article on precisely that subject.

On another note, grow up, kids. Young people can be smart and drugs do not make you wrong or stupid. Old and/or sober people are very often wrong and stupid, y'know.
AuroEdge
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by AuroEdge »

If you can't be openly gay in the US military then why is it a surprise that it's listed as a disorder in the Pentagon?
"The only difference between the Democrats and the Republicans is
that the Democrats allow the poor to be corrupt, too." -Oscar Levant
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

AuroEdge wrote:If you can't be openly gay in the US military then why is it a surprise that it's listed as a disorder in the Pentagon?
Agreed.

Also, it seems like there is a lot of raggin on jaredfogle. While I do disagree with his view on the matter, and do believe he could post more sensical thoughts, he does not deserve to be treated like scum in the majority of his posts.

Although changing his sig and stuff would help to cut down on that, because the drug use definitely (sp?) does not help his status on this board.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

jaredfogle wrote: Why do I get the feeling that if I changed my handle, sig, and avatar you guys would listen a little better when I talk?
Why would someone take you seriously when at the end of every one of your posts you make a statement about ingesting large amounts of drugs and alcohol? You're not likely to even be aware of the world around you a good chunk of the time, yet you want us to agree with your views of the world? Haha....don't hold your breath...
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

butters wrote:
jaredfogle wrote: Why do I get the feeling that if I changed my handle, sig, and avatar you guys would listen a little better when I talk?
Why would someone take you seriously when at the end of every one of your posts you make a statement about ingesting large amounts of drugs and alcohol? You're not likely to even be aware of the world around you a good chunk of the time, yet you want us to agree with your views of the world? Haha....don't hold your breath...
It's an answer to Toastman's sig. A joke. Carl Sagan was a frequent marijuana user and occasional LSD user. I understand well why he was secretive about it during his life (of course, he hinted at it throughout his work--the right folks knew, I'm sure)...

And why should I take your views seriously when you all you can talk about is me and not the matter at hand?

Let's forget everything I said, if we must. Only consider what Toastman and Paul Lutus said. Can we talk about this now? I think it's very interesting. Much more interesting than what you think I do with my mind and body.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

Sir Savant wrote:
AuroEdge wrote:If you can't be openly gay in the US military then why is it a surprise that it's listed as a disorder in the Pentagon?
Agreed.

Also, it seems like there is a lot of raggin on jaredfogle. While I do disagree with his view on the matter, and do believe he could post more sensical thoughts, he does not deserve to be treated like scum in the majority of his posts.

Although changing his sig and stuff would help to cut down on that, because the drug use definitely (sp?) does not help his status on this board.
Thanks, Savant.

But I won't be changing it any time soon. [EDIT by JF: removed flamebait. You almost got me, butters.]