UAE PC version

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

UAE PC version

Post by Dreamcast4life »

my question is why does the emulator run horribly on my 1.4 GHZ pc? I tried running various favs on it since the DC version of the emu does run the games I enjoy the most on the amiga. So can anyone answer this question? or what settings I should use with games like Turrican,Turrican 2,Risky woods,thundercats and giana sisters?
Have you played dreamcast today?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

If you want it to run quickly, the best way is to set it up to emulate an Amiga 500 (or close enough), and drop the accuracy settings a bit.

It's been a long time since I've used WinUAE (I usually use E-Uae, the Linux version), but something like this should do the trick:

Kickstart image: 1.3 (won't make a lot of difference, but real A500s had a 1.3 Kickstart ROM)
CPU: 68000
CPU Clock: Same as real Amiga 500 (7.8MHz)
CPU compatiblity: Should be set to "compatible" for most games, but try the next setting down.
RAM: 1MB Chip, nothing else
Chipset: OCS
Sound emulation: Mono, not accurate. If there's an option to disable the filter, use it. Stick with a sampling rate like 22050Hz rather than 44100Hz.
Video output: Don't use any filters. A resolution of either 800x600, or maybe 640x480 if you don't intend to use Workbench.

With those sorts of settings, I used to be able to run WinUAE on a 300MHz K6-2. If that's still not fast enough, something weird is happening.

Of course, UAE isn't exactly fast, becuse the Amiga's a bloody complicated machine. I think the DC versions use a faster CPU emulator, low sound settings, and frameskipping.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

There may be some configs you can download for some games as well, back to the roots used to have some I think but it seems to be down now, so you could try those if needed I guess, if you can find somewhere with them that is.
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
nogginthenog
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by nogginthenog »

Turrican 1 & 2 pushed the Amiga to it's limits so are hard to emulate.

p.s. BlackAura, not all A500's had 1.3. The A500+ at least came with 2.0. My A500 (1989?) came with kickstart 1.2 but workbench 1.3.

Should really reserect the old Amiga some day. I've got an A4000 in bits, packed in a cardboard box. 50Mhz 68060, gfx card, fast SCSI, the works. It used to be towered in a *big* box which currently holds my Athlon system. Not sure what happened to the original case (not that it'd fit).
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

The A500+ at least came with 2.0. My A500 (1989?) came with kickstart 1.2 but workbench 1.3.
True, but the A500+ isn't the same thing as an A500. They used different chipsets (the A500+ had an ECS chipset), and there were quite a lot of games that worked on an A500, but not on an A500+ without a lot of mucking around. You could, of course, put a Kickstart 2.0 in an A500.